PDA

View Full Version : What Is It?

Sprinter808
09-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Can someone please help me identify the two circled items?
I don't know if I should clean 'em, replace 'em, or remove 'em ! :idunno:
They are located near the firewall, upper part of the engine, a bit to the drivers side of center.
Thanks in advance for playing, "What is it?" with me !

Dingo
09-17-2013, 10:57 AM
OOH OOH OOH OOH OOH OOH , LET ME PLAY .............

Erm I take it you are referring to the rusty capsule in the black rubber hose , that would be a vacuum controlled valve in the heater system . Stabbing in the dark , i would guess that it reduces / stops water flow around the heater unit when the block heater is working

And the other item ( both of which are NOT circled by the way ) is a solenoid valve , Apply 12 / 24 /36 / 2,000,000 volts & it operates the valve . If you look carefully there is an outlet on top of the valve showing under the black hose with its spigot pointing forwards & a vacuum pipe
coming from behind & towards the engine . It has a free end , as both ends of the electric valve are open to air I would say the valve is not working / required by your van

Do i win a prize huh ? huh ? Huh ?

johnshmit
09-17-2013, 11:41 AM
And the brown vacuum line has vacuum in it when engine is running. So this vacuum activated water valve was controlled by that solenoid valve, but now is shorted out by connecting vacuum hose directly to the water valve.
I guess that someone did use 2,000,000 volts on it or could not find a hidden switch.

Sprinter808
09-17-2013, 11:49 AM
You win a prize for being first to point out my fail at posting the proper pic.
:cheers:
I'm still learning how to post photos, and the forum did not like my attempt to use a
.tiff file !

I have changed the photo to the one I'd intended to post.

I know you are on the right track with your description - but I've never seen anything on this van that wasn't needed. My belief is, these caused the previous owner a problem, so they were bypassed.

So, I'm trying to figure out what they do exactly, and reconnect them properly.
I have no reason to believe they are connected properly as is.

The one in yellow seems to have wires (at least) that were added by a non-MB person, judging by the way they are not in a covered loom .

And the one in red - anything blocking a heater line had better be working properly, or its gone !

Thanks for playing ! :smirk:

Sprinter808
09-17-2013, 11:58 AM
And the brown vacuum line has vacuum in it when engine is running. So this vacuum activated water valve was controlled by that solenoid valve, but now is shorted out by connecting vacuum hose directly to the water valve.
I guess that someone did use 2,000,000 volts on it or could not find a hidden switch.

LOL ! I thought 2,000,000 volts was normal :laughing:
Right , but can you refer me to any documentation in a sprinter book regarding these items?
For instance, part numbers to replace?
Or, what system they are part of? (Under what conditions do they "do their thing" ?)
Maybe part of the aux engine heater?

I cant find them anywhere...
So I have come here. To the Oracle of Sprinter knowledge.
:bow:

Aqua Puttana
09-17-2013, 01:26 PM
As I believe was mentioned, the unit with the yellow and blue wires doesn't look like a typical OEM type to me, but I only have my 2004 to compare. The worm drive clamps in the red circle don't look OEM either if that means anything.

Do you have some type of added rear heat? Alternatively, is it related to the programmable Auxillary ESPAR heater? My 2004 has the more basic Booster Heater and the firewall looks like this. No sign of the parts that you show.

Basically the same place on my 2004 as you picture. Note the similar color (but no Tee) vac line to the right.

My heater control valve to left of injector cover.

That heater control valve is listed as compatible for at least 2004 - 2006 NAFTA Sprinters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-EXPRESS-653-33041-101-Heater-Control-Valve-Bosch-HVAC-Heater-Control-Valve-/390659224754?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af51ab4b2&vxp=mtr#ht_1278wt_930

vic

Dingo
09-17-2013, 08:03 PM
OOH OOH OOH OOH OOH , i'm definately playing again . I like this game

OK the left hand valve would appear to be "factory " judging by the brown vac lines & attached rubber joints . Check carefully for an Espar / webasto / eberspacher heater fitted in your engine bay that might feed heated water into the block via the heater hoses .

The electrical solenoid is deffo aftermarket , more thrift shop than Mercedes Benz :dripsarcasm:

Send a message to DrA , see if he is aware of any such kit fitted factory side rather than aftermarket , it looks like it belongs for want of a better phrase .

Aqua Puttana
09-17-2013, 08:25 PM
OOH OOH OOH OOH OOH , i'm definately playing again . I like this game

... .
Some additional info about my NAFTA 2004.

vic

Boater
09-17-2013, 10:21 PM
Given the price of a GM vac solenoid, the aftermarket pound shop solenoid could have been a replacement one after PO baulked at the price of an OEM MB replacement. On the other hand the new looking wiring makes a mess of that theory.....

NelsonSprinter
09-18-2013, 12:23 AM
Can someone please help me identify the two circled items?
I don't know if I should clean 'em, replace 'em, or remove 'em ! :idunno:
They are located near the firewall, upper part of the engine, a bit to the drivers side of center.
Thanks in advance for playing, "What is it?" with me !

Does the yellow circled item have a black tube going into the engine block and 2 wires going into the driver's cab? Is there an extra gauge on the dash?
My guess is an oil pressure sensor for an add-on gauge ?

Sprinter808
09-18-2013, 12:50 AM
Does the yellow circled item have a black tube going into the engine block and 2 wires going into the driver's cab? Is there an extra gauge on the dash?
My guess is an oil pressure sensor for an add-on gauge ?

The yellow circled item has a vacuum tube going, right now, nowhere.
There is a vacuum "in" and "out" .
The black wire is ground, and the blue wire goes into the loom - probably to the cab.
But there is no extra gauge.

Good idea, though !

Follow the blue wire....

Looks like a consensus is building that the yellow circled item is at least an accessory, if not outright aftermarket.
But, for what?!

Maybe I should try applying +12v to see if the vacuum valve closes?

Sprinter808
09-18-2013, 01:36 AM
Do you have some type of added rear heat? Alternatively, is it related to the programmable Auxillary ESPAR heater? My 2004 has the more basic Booster Heater and the firewall looks like this. No sign of the parts that you show.

Basically the same place on my 2004 as you picture. Note the similar color (but no Tee) vac line to the right.

My heater control valve to left of injector cover.

vic

Added rear heat??? Hmm..... maybe.
I have an added A/C unit in the rear of the vehicle.
It's plumbed to the normal compressor, not self contained.
Maybe its supposed to be capable of heat as well? (it never has since I've owned)

I do have an aux engine heater (Espar, I think) located in the front corner of the drivers side engine compartment. Sort of under the battery.
Which I am trying to fix. Any advice? Sources for Espar parts?
It has the simple switch, not the programmable timer.
I also have the heater control valve, right where it should be - same as yours.

If I follow the blue wire of the item in the yellow circle, and it relates to the toggle switch added to turn on the rear fan, we may be on to an answer.

So, a vacuum operated coolant valve (in red), and a +12 operated vacuum switch, (in yellow) ?

Maybe the vacuum operated valve restricts hot coolant from flowing to the rear AC / heater unless the +12v vacuum switch sends (or removes) vacuum to open the valve.
If this is true, then the vacuum lines are wrong....

:thumbup:

Vic, I think you are the winner ! :cheers:

I'm going to try out this hypothesis, and see if it fits with reality.

Now, where can I get replacement parts if these don't work as intended once I connect properly ?

Sprinter808
11-05-2013, 07:33 PM
OOH OOH OOH OOH OOH OOH , LET ME PLAY .............

Erm I take it you are referring to the rusty capsule in the black rubber hose , that would be a vacuum controlled valve in the heater system . Stabbing in the dark , i would guess that it reduces / stops water flow around the heater unit when the block heater is working

And the other item ( both of which are NOT circled by the way ) is a solenoid valve , Apply 12 / 24 /36 / 2,000,000 volts & it operates the valve . If you look carefully there is an outlet on top of the valve showing under the black hose with its spigot pointing forwards & a vacuum pipe
coming from behind & towards the engine . It has a free end , as both ends of the electric valve are open to air I would say the valve is not working / required by your van

Do i win a prize huh ? huh ? Huh ?

Update:

You do indeed get a prize !

After moving the vacuum lines around, and waiting for some cold weather, I now have confirmed that these components are part of the rear cargo area heater.
So, the box I thought was for AC is also for heat, and the heat now works !!! :thumbup:
Now, does anyone know who makes this:
???

Dingo
11-05-2013, 07:58 PM
OHH OHHH OHHHH what have i won ??????

Anyway kidding aside , try talking to Espar , eberspacher & webasto as they supply additional heaters for buses & such like , e-mail them a picture ( without your guitar amp , it will only confuse them ) Some one is bound to be able to enlighten you as to the make , maybe even the model of heater you have .

Have done something similar when trying to identify pressure pumps on old cleaning machines , someone always knos & says " oh Thats a ....."

Prize wise i accept Gold bullion , uncut diamonds & Strong alcoholic beverages :rad: