PDA

View Full Version : FAG Front Wheel Bearings

4xSprinter
09-15-2013, 04:59 PM
I'm trying to find the FAG Bearing Part Number for the front wheel unit bearing.

When front wheel bearings are purchased or replaced at the Mercedes dealer, the complete spindle upright / steering knuckle with the bearing and wheel mounting flange is sold as a unit.

The actual unit bearing that is pressed into the spindle upright / steering knuckle is a FAG Bearing and can be replaced with special tools into the spindle upright / steering knuckle.

I have searched high and low and have not found the FAG part number for the unit bearing as it and the tool do not appear to be available yet in the USA.

Do any of you here know about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sk8DYS2sZ_o

4xSprinter
09-15-2013, 05:08 PM
I should add, that I have been in contact with the Schaeffler people at the only USA facility in Ohio and they are trying to find something for me but have not come up with anything yet.

I am thinking that some of our European friends are familiar with all of this and can get the part number for me.

scubanw3
09-16-2013, 02:00 AM
The front NCV3 bearings are not replaceable. When the factory presses them in, the tool mushrooms them in place. Kinda hard to describe but they can not be replace. The only option is the knuckle/hub assembly. Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Sprinter Store
http://sprinterstore.com/
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846

4xSprinter
09-16-2013, 05:44 AM
No help. Not being rude, but did you watch the video? The "mushrooms" you refer to is in the manufacture of the unit bearing, not in the installation of the unit bearing into the "knuckle/hub assembly". The unit bearings are replaceable, I'm trying to get a part number for just the FAG unit bearing.

The front NCV3 bearings are not replaceable. When the factory presses them in, the tool mushrooms them in place. Kinda hard to describe but they can not be replace. The only option is the knuckle/hub assembly. Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Sprinter Store
http://sprinterstore.com/
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846

Tom9054
10-07-2013, 11:33 PM
So I watched the video, what have you heard from these FAG guys?

Aqua Puttana
10-07-2013, 11:57 PM
I don't worry if the bearing I purchase is distributed under the FAG brand. I've had good luck with those in electric motors and crane applications. That said, anymore I worry a bit about the quality of most any brand bearing.

:2cents:

It is likely that the FAG bearing is a standard style to the FAG line.

It is likely that because it is purchased as an OEM proprietary part any numbers on it will not be listed in the FAG standard parts catalog.

It is likely that any local distributor looking to cross the proprietary bearing specs over to a standard number will find that exercise less than straight-forward as there will be little offical encouragement.

It is likely that possessing the bearing dimensions a replacement bearing is out there. That = you need to measure the removed bearing. See the next post.

If you find it, please follow with the info here. (As I know you will. :thumbup:)

vic

Ovi
10-08-2013, 07:52 AM
After a quick search I found this info & guide:

http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedien/media/_shared_media/08_media_library/01_publications/automotiveaftermarket/brochure_1/downloads_5/fag_wheel_bearing_repair_solutions_nfz_en.pdf

At least there's a number for the tool - and a proof for anyone not believing it's possible.

4xSprinter
10-09-2013, 10:10 AM
I have had no luck in finding the bearing here in the States - and I have made major efforts to do so. The people at Schaeffler in Ohio (only USA location) have no knowledge of the tool or the bearing and after several emails and conversations have not been of any help and can only tell me it is not available here.

I did destroy my old bearing by pressing it apart, but found no part number on any of the races. The inner race of the outer bearing remained on the hub spindle though and the number may be on that. I will press it off later after I'm done using it for mock up and see if there is a number under it.

I'll pass on what I learn.