PDA

View Full Version : Lost key fob repercussions?

John484
09-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Yesterday at the bank I set my keys on counter while talking to manager for afew minutes. Went to leave- where's my keys? I assume another customer picked them up by accident. I have not one but two spare keys hidden under van, so all was not lost( though it was raining and cold and dark and did I mention they are hidden well?). But that was the only fob I had. So my question is: do I still have the same security features as I did before when I locked van with fob and not key?i have been reading the owners manual for answers and I am content to remain fobless, but I didnt know if I am giving up a security feature by not having it do the fob-lock 3x light flash routine. I think the flashing lights just told you if all the doors were closed, correct? FWIW, the manual has about 10 pages dedicated to the "access" system, as they call it. And it is still a gamble when I push the central locking switch, which I find humorous, having already passed through the denial and anger stages.
Thanks
J

Aqua Puttana
09-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Yesterday at the bank I set my keys on counter while talking to manager for afew minutes. Went to leave- where's my keys? I assume another customer picked them up by accident. ...Thanks
J
Here's hoping that your keys are returned. :cheers:

I can't answer your specfic questions, but it appears that the Fob or the dash switch can be used to access the CTM to control the door locks. Going by the information I have, it appears to me that the CTM doesn't have an interface to the security system. To me, that means that just pressing the dash switch won't necessarily enable the full security system. It may through the RKE interface Pg 154.

Edit: Is there a security feature you can make unhappy to test after using the dash switch? vic

Here's some info.

Aqua Puttana
09-15-2013, 04:12 PM
and lastly

Boater
09-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Um, could be some other 'customer' saw the 3 point star on the keys and trousered them to go look for your car later (wouldn't have been able to tell if they were for a Sprinter or an S-class) - if they haven't been handed in within a few hours I would be very concerned! So much easier to steal a Mercedes if you have the keys!

John484
09-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Holy crap vic that is a lot of info! We are a long way away from my '63 chevy truck that did not lock and used a steak knife for a key. The main thing for me is being able to lock all of the doors at once when I exit the van, and the key does that, so I am not gonna lose sleep over losing the fob. I certainly am not gonna pay a few hundred dollars.
The bank had, I think, 2 old lady customers at the counter while I was talking to manager, so I dont think they are thinking of theft. I will keep jokes about old folks to myself but the odds of one of them figuring out where the extra set of keys in their purse came from is slim.
Thanks!
J

Aqua Puttana
09-15-2013, 09:57 PM
The bank had, I think, 2 old lady customers at the counter ...
:hmmm: ... Old lady... bank... Mercedes owner...

:shhh:

vic

Boater
09-16-2013, 10:08 AM
She got a lot of pretty. pretty boys, that she calls friends?

glasseye
09-16-2013, 02:34 PM
:hmmm: ... Old lady... bank... Mercedes owner...
vic

I see at least a TV movie, maybe a feature film. :hmmm:

John484
09-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Oh there is no doubt I would compromise my integrity with a blue hair for, say, a good meal or two, but there will be no chance of that. I called bank today to see if anyone had returned them after 2 days, no dice. Really, if you dont know where you picked up the mystery set of keys that is now staring at you on your kitchen counter, you shouldnt be driving at all.

skydiver007
09-16-2013, 11:07 PM
Simple but costs a little. Go to the dealer and have all programmed keys removed from the skreem. Then only add in the ones you have. If they are a clone of the fob, you need to remove all of them and get a new key.

John484
09-17-2013, 01:28 AM
Ahh I'm not too worried. I am actually in 'Sprinter-based Housing Mode', which means I am living in my van in The Land That Time Forgot---fargo, nd. I am impossible to pin down so it would be tough to case me out if someone wanted my van. In another month I will be a thousand miles from here and my hidden key fob.
I was in my van in less than 2 minutes, so lesson for everyone is----stash a spare under the van!