PDA

View Full Version : Sprinter not downshifting

Wessels69p
09-13-2013, 11:57 PM
Was just driving and hot a traffic jam. The triptronic manual auto shift is not working. It appears to be stuck in gear. ???

help?

sailquik
09-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Wessels69p,
Was just driving and hit a traffic jam? So the engine got hot while you were sitting in traffic?

The triptronic manual auto shift is not working. It appears to be stuck in gear. ???
What is a triptronic manual auto shift? Do you have a normal 2003 NAFTA 2500 Sprinter?
I think the transmission is called a 5G-Tronic in Europe and the NAG-1 in the USA.
So it does not downshift automatically when you slow down or stop..... or it does not downshift when you tap the shifter to the left to try to get it to downshift
manually?
Are you seeing any codes, is your Sprinter in Limp Home Mode (2nd gear and very poor acceleration.

Wessels69p
09-14-2013, 04:24 AM
Just to tie this off. I have the auto Trans that has the electric manual shift option. Basically, the van locked in 5th gear for no reason. I stopped and shut the van off and restarted and the issue went away. It shifted fine and the electronic "manual" shift started working again. It's almost like the computer had a glitch and a reset fixed it.

Wade

sailquik
09-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Hi Wade,
OK, 5G-Tronic/NAG-1.
If you know anyone with a DAD unit, or DRB-III they could check for a stored code as the result of your incident, but random
"events" like this do happen to Sprinters.
Have you changed the transmission fluid lately?
A full transmission drain/torque converter drain, new internal filter screen and trans. pan gasket would at least eliminate worn out transmission
fluid as a source for this problem.
I'd wait and see if it was a one time random event, or if it becomes a more consistent problem.
If you change the transmission fluid, be sure to get the correct new fluid... the right fluid is very important.
MB BEVO 236.14 is probably the correct specification for your 2003, but check your owners manual.
Roger