Torque Converter

So I have all the classic signs of a bad TC, anyway to fully test it before swapping? I also think my slight overheating problems have come from the slippage in the TC, but thats just a guess.

Also, if it is bad anyone have recommendations as to who I can buy a good rebuilt from or did MB fix this issue with an updated TC that I should buy?

Oh and I did google it and I did blue bar it, found a recommendation for silver star trans and have an email out to them.

Hoping Dennis, Carl or Dr A could weigh in on these question.

lindenengineering

For an overhaul of the torque consider Branting Industries in the Denver Metro area.
5280 W 56th Ave Arvada, CO 80002
(303) 425-9004
I have used them quite a few times for odd torque converters and repair/overhaul of obsolete units.
Always do a good job.

I think the latest finished paint job on the torque after its opened up/repaired is light gray!:thumbup:
If you have a color preference?
Dennis

I was able to chat with Dr A for a bit today and so I will pass on his knowledge for those who are dealing with TC problems.

1 He said to (don't quote me on his exact wording) eliminate other possibilities first, e.g bad brake lights or brake switch fooling the computer into thinking the brake is on.

2 Go to a dealer who has the proper computer to monitor live data and check in the transmission and engine modules to see what the engine load/torque is at. It should be around 10-20 ftlbs. If the number is way above that it probably points to TC issue.

Also, the OEM is still the best replacement, but star trans out of Oklahoma I believe is a good substitute for the price.

This is the little bit of knowledge i was able to retain in talking with Andy for 10-15 minutes.

Thanks Andy and Dennis. I will report back after I get an appt with the local dealership.

So I figured out today that if you monitor Torque 1 on the ultragauge it will show you the live data engine torque. I think so anyway, it's in ft lbs and never goes above 40 ft lbs. If I am right then it may save some of you some money if you want to be able to test you TC and not arbitrarily just swap it hoping thats the problem. Please let me know if I am crazy guys. I hope I am right because mine stayed within range.

Today my symptoms were different not worse but different.

The outside temperature was 35 degrees and it started fine but had no power. It drove my engine load % up to 99 even just taking off or on the slightest hill (sailquick in advance I was only in first or second gear and this was very abnormal for this van) After the van warmed up it got slightly better but still really poor power. Boost PSI was normal, the van sounded really throaty but in a bad way. It was not in regen exhaust temps were 5-600 degrees.

Im seriously thinking the DPF is plugged but I don't have anyway of knowing or testing without cutting it off and looking at it. I know my van regularly regen's so if it is plugged I would think it would try to do it more often but now I would say every 1000 miles or so.

Any ideas?

MORE SYMPTOMS

My fuel mileage is in the toilet it has dropped a couple MPG since this started. Also, when driving down the highway at 60 or so on cruise control if I am headed down a hill and the engine load % gets to 30 or so I get vibration. I put in neutral to see if its drivetrain or engine and it's there even in neutral...?

sailquik

Sounds like the typical 170" WB driveshaft vibration to me, but it normally occurs in the 45-50 mph range.
Could be you have the proverbial RSN.
NCV3 Sprinters are not afflicted with RSN to the same degree as T1N's, but it does happen when people don't service the transmission or
use fluids that do not meet the MB specification.
Roger

72chevy4x4

speaking of RSN, I had it for a short period after getting the van, 3 years ago, then it went away and I never thought more about it (out of sight out of mind). Last week, it's returned occasionally occurring when coming to a stop. Odd that it's returned after all these long years.

Van is getting louder sounds a little like a growling noise coming from back of engine and front of tranny, basically TC area. Anyone know if the TC pukes if it will take my transmission with it?
It's worth swapping preventatively if so.

So I finally decided to just swap my Torque Converter and see if thats the problem, and emailed Silver Star Transmissions who no longer sell TC's for late model sprinters. They will though rebuild but not sell rebuilt that they've done? So now I am looking for a place to buy one and trying to avoid the dealer prices!!

Dennis

Thanks for the info, I am trying to avoid shipping it out and waiting then having it shipped back. I was hoping to just buy it and ship back the core, does Branting do this?

I am still trying to locate a shop or company that will sell me a torque converter with out me having to ship it to them for rebuild. I really need my van right now as it's cold and I do heating but I may need to rent a van for a week and do it, though that sounds terrible!!!

I will call them up today, lets hope they do it.

Dennis or the newly returned sprintguy:

Any creative ways to test torque converter?

Another symptom:

Today I backed up to my empty dump trailer and hooked up to it (2500lbs) and immediately it went into limp mode. I drove about 5 miles parked it had my coworker hook it up to his van and I cycled power and it was fine. Any ideas?

(Keep in mind I have the new Torque Converter and will be putting it in next week)

lucian

When was last time you drained the TC?
Recommend doing it in the afternoon and let it drain all night.
Don't need stick. Whatever you take out you put back in ... maybe add a cup more. It worked for my weird vibrations.

L

vertigo

2007 NCV3 3500 3.0l
Another symptom:

Today I backed up to my empty dump trailer and hooked up to it (2500lbs) and immediately it went into limp mode. I drove about 5 miles parked it had my coworker hook it up to his van and I cycled power and it was fine. Any ideas?

(Keep in mind I have the new Torque Converter and will be putting it in next week)
I'm curious to know how this issue has worked out for you so far. Did a fluid change solve it? Did the new TC solve it?

The latest developments:

Still have everything needed to do the TC change BUT the shop I use to do the work (big enough lift) has a monster project, so I wait. In the meantime I lost the rear hanger bearing, it was grinding loud. According to the maintenance records its the 3rd or 4th in 158K but this was the first done with the dust caps. While I was under there I noticed the last guys had not realigned any part of the driveshaft correctly!!! So starting at the front bearing, I took it apart and lined it all up. Slight vibration off acceleration is still there and currently no dpf is installed while the other is out being cleaned. Still have kind of lack luster power but in a month or so I will have TC done and summer tires and I will update then.

I had a torque converter failure last fall (280K miles), I went and for @ $2500 got an exchange from Silver Star. Good folks, and I only had to pay shipping one way. I have a great mechanic who charged @ $500 to install. Fluids came with tranny from Silver Star. 3 yr, 100,000 mile warrenty, They use an upgraded TC in the process. So far, 3500 miles, all smiles.

Top Bottom