PDA

View Full Version : Leaking coolant after serpentine belt change in shop now

Jb1rd73
09-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Yesterday I took my 06 140 to get the hpfp bolts tightened per Doc A thank you thank you thank you by the way, that was the problem. So while they had the fan off I thought it a good idea to have them replace the belt it was starting to fray, and they did the mobile 0-40 synthetic oil change as well. Drove it for the first time since buying it and she was glorious, got home backed her in the drive way went inside came back out to fetch something and see a small frisbee size puddle. Got on all fours got a light and started looking for a leak, couldn't tell. Went out this morning and much bigger puddle. Got on my back crawled under the only thing I could see was it dripping off the passenger side front corner of the oil pan? Any suggestions, they are going to pressure test it. The fluid was definitely coolant, sweet and sticky but it seemed clear, I recently read somewhere on here that the MB spec coolant comes in orange and clear and possibly even blue. Any help would be great. I literally have drive the thing less than 50 miles :(

Boater
09-11-2013, 01:20 PM
The fan is mounted on the coolant pump - recent work on the fan plus coolant leak = possible disturbance to pump?

The coolant pump is on the drivers side here so should be passenger side at your end, but most of these engines are tilted slightly to fit the engine bay so it may be dripping from the opposite side to the actual leak if that side is lower.

Not sure about MB own coolant, the stuff I use is on the MB list (once you look up the manufacturer and not the company whose name is on the bottle) and is dark green, but colour is only an indication if everyone is using the stuff from the same manufacturer, it's just a dye to help identify their own products but is not standardised with other manufacturers.

Jb1rd73
09-11-2013, 01:29 PM
It just seemed to coincidental, I hope that is the case,I don't have a lot of experience with this shop but they came recommended by the shop where I took my little Toyota, since they do not work on diesels. Crossing my fingers it something minor. I heard it said that these SPRINTERS will give you an Iron Stomach or an Ulcer, now I understand after reading extensively through these posts. Thank you all this is a really cool community and you can bet your arse that I am going to darken Doc A's door when I go up to see my brother in da 'burgh, just need to let me know what your libation of choice is :)

shortshort
09-11-2013, 03:39 PM
If it's not hissing steam and capable of making a puddle, I would guess water pump. Probably a coincidence.

Jb1rd73
09-11-2013, 03:46 PM
@Shortshort, you sir are correct, mech. Just called bad water pump. And part of Arnold belt spun around the fan clutch, why they didn't cut it out when they did the belt I don't know, what I do know is my wallet is now $400+ lighter