PDA

View Full Version : Dummy Hood Vent.........

dodger413
09-11-2013, 01:36 AM
The hood vent on the passenger side is a dummy. solid, no venting.

Would there be any advantage to making this vent functional? is the function of the working hood vent on the drivers side to feed cabin air only?

is the only disadvantage of making this vent functional that water would be able to enter the cabin filter and intake ?

PTChambers
09-11-2013, 02:51 AM
Hi

The disadvantage of water into the cabin vent seems pretty severe. The far side which supplies cabin air is designed to eliminate water from the air stream.

However, the effect of venting at that location depends on the differential pressure across the vent. If it vents "in" then that air is not going through the radiator and cooling will suffer. If it vents "out", you get engine hot air and associated fumes moving across the windshield and around into the side windows.

From the placement of the cabin air vent intake, it would seem that the pressures would be such that it would vent "in". If so, the cooling detriment would be in effect.

Also, at different speeds, the airflow may change.

There is usually no advantage to changing engine air management schemes unless you have done something major under the hood and/or measured differential pressures and are looking to solve a particular problem. This includes "air dams" and "spoilers" under the front or sides of the vehicle.

Phil

RSchleder
09-14-2013, 12:11 PM
In addition to the cabin filter, I'd be equally or more concerned about getting water into the air filter of the engine intake that"s located in close proximity. :thinking:

PTChambers
09-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Also, the bad effects of "Steam Cleaning" under a sprinter hood applies here. Hot engine with water and the possible detrimental effects on various electrical connections. There are several threads associated with this issue.

Phil

Oldfartt
09-14-2013, 10:06 PM
left hand drive.... right hand drive!

Cheers

Ross

AvidSprinters
06-12-2018, 02:00 PM
How does one pop out these vents for the purpose of removing debris / replacing damaged vent covers? I see no screws on the underside and I'm guessing it's just a pressure fit but I thought it wise to ask before I applied force.

Bobnoxious
06-12-2018, 02:24 PM
The hood vent on the passenger side is a dummy. solid, no venting.

Would there be any advantage to making this vent functional? is the function of the working hood vent on the drivers side to feed cabin air only?

is the only disadvantage of making this vent functional that water would be able to enter the cabin filter and intake ?

No advantage, resist the temptation to "improve" your Sprinter.

AvidSprinters
06-12-2018, 02:51 PM
How does one pop the vent out? Mine took a direct hit (rock) and needs replacement.

Rob S
06-12-2018, 06:36 PM
They have a small clip at each corner which catches under the metal edge. I think you could break it by forcefully prying up on it. May not matter in your case.

I have successfully removed both of mine by pushing inwards with a small flexible 1" drywall trowel under the lip near the top and bottom corners. This released the clips and I was able to lift each corner a bit, and then the whole thing came out easily.

Definitely a weird system to draw air into the cabin by passing it across through the hood first. I think if one of the clips in the hood liner goes missing, engine fumes could easily enter that air stream.

Of course, the engine isn't supposed to produce any fumes under there....

djomlas
06-12-2018, 07:36 PM
mine has a hole in it and the charcoal filter area acts as a bucket for collecting water. so don't drill any holes in it

Bobnoxious
06-12-2018, 07:54 PM
Fumes could be an issue depending on hood-to-plenum seal integrity. Fumes from oil spilled or oozing on to hot engine components. Poorly designed as it doesn't filter air while in recirculating mode.

JIB
06-13-2018, 07:37 PM
Definitely a weird system to draw air into the cabin by passing it across through the hood first.

It is a common practice, as the base of the windshield is usually a high pressure area, so the fresh are is "helped" in.

jack

Rob S
06-14-2018, 03:32 AM
True but most feed air directly into the cabin without passing through or crossing the hood first.

The air intake is usually into the body of the vehicle behind the engine compartment just under the windshield and not into the hood.

Thus much less chance of underhood fumes getting in there

sailquik
06-15-2018, 04:04 PM
Take a look at some other vehicles other than Sprinters.........there are all sorts of fake air scoops and inlets all over the modern car/truck/SUV.
There are air inlets on the hood, just behind the hood (if there is an area behind the hood); there are inlets and scoops that simulate the air ducts
on race cars to cool the brakes, but they are just plastic and have no hole and no duct work to the brakes.
They have them on the rear fenders and quarter panels that look like they cool the rear brakes, but they really just are there to "look cool".
As long as the seal between the hood and the interior air box is good, the way the Sprinters take in bin air is perfectly normal.
Think of the dorade boxes used on boats and ships to allow air in, but have the water drain off and back over the side or into the bilge where
it can be pumped out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorade_box
The horizontal run is there to ensure that the water goes out the drain under the cabin air box, and not into the cabin air filter which would quickly
get very soggy and stop allowing any air through it.
Roger

Bobnoxious
06-15-2018, 05:34 PM
I am perfectly satisfied with my hood vent design. No modification wanted or necessary.