Backup camera

Williamsbark

Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to the Sprinter! I do not have back windows and would like to know suggestions on a reliable but on the cheaper side backup camera.

pfflyer

Welcome to the forum. I had a cheap $20 wireless unit I got on clearance from Sams. I had installed on a truck for a year and lasted a couple weeks in my 2002 158wb. I wasn't sure it would work with the longer distance and all the metal but it did like I said for a couple weeks. Monitor was smaller than a smart phone and picture was ok. In the new van I got a Pioneer gps with monitor for camera and I love the set up. Camera is part of the top brake light and barely noticeable. You asked for cheap and my new set up was not. In the blue bar above in the search box you will find a couple threads where guys bought the components from Amazon or Ebay fairly cheap. Congrats on your new Sprinter and be prepared to spend hours here going through all the threads on the forum. It can be addictive.

surlyoldbill

There are all kinds of kits available on Ebay. I would get one with the camera mounted on top by the third brake light.

LOTUS

Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to the Sprinter! I do not have back windows and would like to know suggestions on a reliable but on the cheaper side backup camera.
In addition to a good quality backup camera, installed above the 3rd brake lite I included
4 backup sensors for safety. Several feet behind the bumper are not visual, I feel much safer hearing the beeps and watching a small display graduated in feet and colors. Approx, 2"W x 1/2"H x1" D. The night vision rear view display is a good size, clips over the rear view mirror, approx. 7"W x 4"H x 3/4"D. Both systems are wired and fuse protected.
To me this was a important safety investment to have the extra "Eyes" & "Ears"
I'll share the pix and info soon.

Hope this helps in making a decision

LOTUS

Lotus
where did you get the rear sensors, and the night vision rear view display
Used 1-1/2" dia schedule 80 PVC tubing and fittings to install the camera. Low cost from Lowe's & maintenance free. Fitting has water proof service cover.
Camera from: tadibrothers.com

LOTUS

Thanks of the info so far. I've got to decide on one soon. Yes, LOTUS, id love to see pics.
Installed in a 1 1/2" PVC schedule 80 pipe, drilled holes equally spaced, inserted the sensors, pulled wire inside the tube to the rear left back up light. Display wire along the left wall to the dash.
Works real well and provides the extra safety.
Purchased from Tadibrothers.com

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
One problem I had in setting up my camera was that I wanted to be able to aim it. Not just point it out the back, but to see to hook up my trailer. I also used PVC piping but put an elbow in it to allow for adjustments.
I can lower it to see the trailer ball or up to see over the trailer. If only I could do it remotely...
20130904_144556.jpg

Top Bottom