Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Wow, we don't seem to do this in the T1N group. No posts going all the way back to 2006. My new tires want me to put a system in place to monitor them in case they loose pressure. What are people using here? I always used those valve stem caps that change color in my previous vehicles, but now that new cars I am buying come with TPMS built in and after all my issues with pressure being the fault of the caps I am looking for a newer solution.

The Cat's Eye dually system that I spoke of previously (https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22014&highlight=tire+pressure) or the Dual Dynamics are able to equalize the pressure between two rear tires but still require that I check them. No alarms like in my new car.

So what do people use in the way of remote tire pressure systems? I am looking for a 10 tire system as I tow my little Honda and wouldn't even know if it lost pressure, I don't even see it back there when I drive, and it weighs nothing compared to the Sprinter. Perhaps two systems, one for the tow vehicle that I can move between the two vehicles, like the Accutire?

38d6292d-9b0d-41da-8c25-11fa5b37a715_300.jpg

-Randy

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
@israndy your post made me realize that I had not paid any attention to tire pressure in our new Serenity. So I went to the garage and to my disbelief, I couldn't even find the tire valves in the rear, and I could barely remove the valve caps in the front.

I then started to do homework. Read the MB manual which gives many warnings and caution about the importance of proper tire pressure, but not a single guidance on how to do this. I read the LTV Serenity manual and it says nothing about tire pressure. I visited the local MB dealer that sells and maintains Sprinters to ask them what I need to check tire pressure. They told me to install some tire valve extenders and refered me to an RV dealer to get this done.

Back to some Internet searching to see what others are doing. I finally found where the rear tire valves are and I could not remove the valve caps. The internet search very quickly revealed that tire valve extenders are not a good solution; many report they vibrate and actually dislodge the rubber tire valves. Most recommend that the best solution is to replace the rubber tire valves for new metal ones, and the legend inventor is Tire Man of Ridgecrest, California.

I live within a half-day drive of Ridgecrest, so I made an appointment and got me the legendary Tire Man solution plus some steel ties he adds to avoid losing the wheel simulators, another complaint all over the internet.

Basically, I think MB should pay for these new tire valves. Their manual writting expresses the importance of checking tire pressure, yet they provide no real solution for an ordinary person to do this without new tire valves. What does everyone think?

sailquik

Ummmm...with out the unauthorized "chrome/aluminum wheel simulators" you would have absolutely no issues with regular valve stems or regular valve stems with the factory extensions on the inner rear wheels.
Wheel simulators (IMHO) are ugly, usually out of balance, and one of the worst inventions ever in the automobile/light truck marketplace.
Take them off, show off your nice looking silver steel wheels like the rest of us, or spend the $$ for a set of 4 Alcoa (real forged aluminum wheels like are used on
big trucks.
Roger

Top Bottom