PDA

View Full Version : Is my 2003 totalled?

bankodave
09-07-2013, 01:13 PM
I was involved in an accident (no injuries) two days ago and am waiting for the responsible parties insurance company (Progressive) to send an adjuster out to look at the damage. I would like to get the forums much respected input on whether or not my sprinter is fixable.

My van is a 2003 158 high roof with 310k miles on it. The engine was replaced by the previous owner and has only 100k miles. I just had a complete transmission rebuild 4 weeks ago for $3200. Two weeks before that I replaced the front struts, rear shocks, front brake rotors, front pads and put in a new battery. I have been having electrical issues and my new Central Locking Module was shipped yesterday from Berry Dodge for $214. That being said, will an insurance company take all that into consideration when putting a value on my van or will they just look at book value? Since the frame is bent in the back I am very concerned with them totaling it.

Here are some images of the damage and thanks.

pfflyer
09-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Glad there was no injuries. That looks like a pretty hard hit. Every insurance company is different in the end but most start out lowballing unless you have any leverage meaning injuries and or other possible claims. I would be surprised if they do take the repairs into consideration at the adjuster level. I believe you are going to have to fight to get any more than what their computer tells them what the value is. This is different but a friend of mine wanted a sound system out of a totaled car (value of system was not considered in settlement) and they made him replace it with oem model. They may offer to sell you the van if they total it and you could sell or reuse good parts.

lindenengineering
09-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Budget about $5K to fix from what I can see. Unpick the cross member and it will most straighten itself out. Members will add up to about $500, problem is getting them from the parts system. A PITA just be itself! :thumbdown:
We cut some parts out from a donor.
This includes none body welding fab shop tasks as theirs (body shop) will be between 8 and 10K.

I have just done one just like it for about $3500 on a 2008 high roof.
Paint was $1000 extra but included doors and a side panel.

Two body shops nearby were $5500 to $5750 just for the rear X member, bumper etc.
p.s Good to hear no-one hurt!
Dennis

nifaron
09-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Really sorry for your loss. That stinks. Your pictures got me thinking on another thing tho - did you Line-X your rocker panels? I haven't any rust on my T1N yet, but I'd considered doing that as a preemptive measure. Hope it all gets resolved with the insurance company!

Take care,
Aaron

ECU
09-07-2013, 02:47 PM
I had a '92 Passat wagon that had been my dad's tow car. I took it to the shop and had all the dents taken out and the tow set up removed, new paint. Also had a new $600 computer in the rig.
The day I picked it up from the body shop we got rear ended that collapsed the back like yours.
They totaled my car and had a big fight over the fix ups. They claimed that the new paint was poor quality, so they lowered the value of the car because of the new work. There were only 182 wagons imported to the US that year. Instead of saying the car was rare and worth more than a sedan, they claimed it was a crappy car that no one wanted thus worth less than a sedan. It had custom wheels so he downgraded further for not having factory equipment...
You can see how this goes. The adjuster is NOT YOUR FRIEND. You will be told your van is totaled. No vehicle would be worth anything with that mileage. Obviously, with all those repairs the van is in bad shape. It is worth even less.
They have a great way of coming out being all friendly and helpful. This is just to get you to tell them more info. Then they go back to the shop and call you with the bad news. Then they never answer the phone again.
If you want to buy the totaled car, they cash out even less. I bought back the Passat and got less than the pay out. In the end buying back the car made me about $200 (after selling for parts) over the straight pay out. I just did it because I was so mad about the way I was being treated by these friendly folks.

MillionMileSprinter
09-07-2013, 03:06 PM
ECU's sad story is most likely what will happen to you. NO ONE wants to touch a vehicle with over 200K miles. Even a Sprinter that retains it's value. You could maybe get 7 or 8K for it if you sold it without the damage. Dennis owns a shop and if he says 5K to fix it, he's probably pretty close. And the insurance adjust is NOT your friend. A car wash damaged my roof to the tune of 12K$ (according to the MB body shop). The insurance adjuster came, smiled at me, looked at the body shop quote, did some magic calculations on his computer and handed me a check for.... wait for it... 6000$ !!!! I was stunned. He said the body shop overcharged and also added in work that probably didn't need to be done and so on and so forth...
I hope your experience will be different...

shortshort
09-07-2013, 03:07 PM
In California, no. You get book value and not a penny more. In your state you might have rights that allow consideration for the recent work or even loss of value after a repair. Also, you look to have been rear ended. You can claim your back started hurting (admit it, you felt a slight twinge. What if it gets worse?) and threaten to call a chiroquacker and run up their bill if they don't work with you. That worked for me in a motorcycle accident. There is probably enough damage to the vehicle to justify medical attention. If the shocks, struts, and brakes are not original equipment you can argue they were add-on "performance" parts and maybe get compensated for their cost and the time to install them.

bankodave
09-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Really sorry for your loss. That stinks. Your pictures got me thinking on another thing tho - did you Line-X your rocker panels? I haven't any rust on my T1N yet, but I'd considered doing that as a preemptive measure. Hope it all gets resolved with the insurance company!

Take care,
Aaron

Aaron, I did Line-X the rocker panels along with the front hood. The hood had a company logo from the previous owner on it that would not come off without doing a lot of damage. I just decided to Line-X it instead of repainting it. The Line-X works great.

Who knows, I may have a hood with Line-X on it for sale soon.

Dave

icarus
09-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Maybe get an adjustment (or a total) and buy it back. Find a back yard panel beater to get it legal, then drive it 'till it drops. Trying to figure out how to get the insurance company to adjust it to his the tricky part. My guess is the salvage (just a WAG) value at auction might be under a grand. Assume they total it for $8,000 costs you $1500 to buy it back, another couple of grand to panel beat it. Question is...is it worth it to you?

Icarus

nifaron
09-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Aaron, I did Line-X the rocker panels along with the front hood. The hood had a company logo from the previous owner on it that would not come off without doing a lot of damage. I just decided to Line-X it instead of repainting it. The Line-X works great.

Who knows, I may have a hood with Line-X on it for sale soon.

Dave

Excellent. Here's to hoping that you get to keep your hood! Do you have any side-view photos that you'd mind sharing?

Care to share about how much it cost for the Line-X?

Thanks!
Aaron

bankodave
09-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Excellent. Here's to hoping that you get to keep your hood! Do you have any side-view photos that you'd mind sharing?

Care to share about how much it cost for the Line-X?

Thanks!
Aaron

Aaron, Here are some side views of the van with the Line-X. The hood, rocker panels, front and rear bumpers were $700. I was just getting ready to graphic wrap the rest of the van. Glad I did not get that far with it.

Dave

nifaron
09-07-2013, 10:08 PM
Aaron, Here are some side views of the van with the Line-X. The hood, rocker panels, front and rear bumpers were $700. I was just getting ready to graphic wrap the rest of the van. Glad I did not get that far with it.

Dave

Thanks Dave! That looks really nice!

pfflyer
09-08-2013, 12:23 AM
What a shame. Nice looking van.

danthewolf007
09-08-2013, 12:53 AM
I think wayne rodd has a van that has a good rear end body he might sell.

bankodave
09-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Well my Sprinter was considered totaled by Progressive. Just over $13k in repair cost. I am still in negotiations with them on what they will give me for my van and what they will want for salvage.

I have been looking for a new (used) Sprinter and found a 2005 158 with 274,000 miles on it. It runs well and is relatively clean but will most likely need a new transmission in the not too distant future. Since I just had my 2003 transmission rebuilt on August 2nd I am wondering if it would fit in a 2005? Also, would the 2003 engine fit in a 2005? The previous owner of my 2003 put a new engine in and it only has about 105k on it. If it will fit, I would just remove it and hang onto it if needed. There are other items from my 2003 that I would eventually want to transfer over like the heated seats, rear a/c and power inverter.

I should be able to let the Forum know what the final numbers from Progressive are in the next few days. Currently they are valuing my van at $10,226 with a salvage value of $2300.

Thanks,
Dave

MillionMileSprinter
09-15-2013, 11:47 AM
What a shame. Good looking van. I prefer the red color to others! In your dealings with the ins co, always remember THEY ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND! Their job is to collect as much money from you as they can on a monthly basis and pay out to you as little as possible when its time for you to need their services.
Your tranny will swap over no problem. Your motor wont. They look very similar, and they are, but as far as i know, no one has been successful in a '02-'03 to '04-'06 engine swap. Too many electrical differences.
Good luck and keep the forum posted.

nifaron
09-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks Dave! That looks really nice!

I stopped by my local Line X shop in Des Moines, IA... YIKES! The guy in the office seemed very enthusiastic about my project, but then when I spoke with the shop manager he wanted $1700 JUST FOR THE ROCKER PANELS. He also recommended that since I didn't have any rock chips in the rocker panels that I wait until they were pretty chipped up to cover them with Line X... :wtf: ! The whole point was to cover it BEFORE it started getting chipped and rusting... looks like I need to find a Line X shop that actually wants business.

Good luck with your continued insurance fight...

Going on a ~200 mi road trip today... :rad:

Aaron

bankodave
09-15-2013, 03:31 PM
I stopped by my local Line X shop in Des Moines, IA... YIKES! The guy in the office seemed very enthusiastic about my project, but then when I spoke with the shop manager he wanted $1700 JUST FOR THE ROCKER PANELS. He also recommended that since I didn't have any rock chips in the rocker panels that I wait until they were pretty chipped up to cover them with Line X... :wtf: ! The whole point was to cover it BEFORE it started getting chipped and rusting... looks like I need to find a Line X shop that actually wants business.

Good luck with your continued insurance fight...

Going on a ~200 mi road trip today... :rad:

Aaron

$1700 just for the rockers is insane. It must be nice to not need the work. You may want to look into another bed liner product like Rhino Liner. Line-X is better but this is mainly a cosmetic / rock chip protection thing. It is not like you will be dragging cement blocks across it.

Have a safe trip.

Dave

Douglas Hicks
09-15-2013, 05:18 PM
I am dealing with Progressive right now. Things are not going well. The medical adjuster wants to close out the medical claim. I still have 4 broken ribs, and am not doing much as far as work. I am so glad I have 2 really good techs that have taken my physical work load. The medical adjuster sent me a form so I can answer the questions and have a written record. On the property side, they claim they will not send me transcripts of the phone conversations as they do not transcribe those conversations. The last conversation was going downhill when they told me I had to answer all of their questions verbally. It ended when I was called Mr. Post. I should have just hung up on Flo, my BP would not have spiked so much.

bankodave
09-15-2013, 05:35 PM
I am dealing with Progressive right now. Things are not going well. The medical adjuster wants to close out the medical claim. I still have 4 broken ribs, and am not doing much as far as work. I am so glad I have 2 really good techs that have taken my physical work load. The medical adjuster sent me a form so I can answer the questions and have a written record. On the property side, they claim they will not send me transcripts of the phone conversations as they do not transcribe those conversations. The last conversation was going downhill when they told me I had to answer all of their questions verbally. It ended when I was called Mr. Post. I should have just hung up on Flo, my BP would not have spiked so much.

Douglas, I hate to hear you got hurt in the accident. I was lucky that nothing happened to me. Being self employed with no employees would leave me in real bad shape.

Progressive has been ok so far but I will know for sure tomorrow when we discuss the final numbers.

Hope you recover quickly.

Dave

shortshort
09-16-2013, 05:23 AM
As others have said, the ins co is not on your side, but they are not the final say. If you don't get everything you deserve, you can decline the offer and sue the guy who hit you. Unless you're in a no fault state. Then you're hosed.

surlyoldbill
09-16-2013, 05:57 AM
Friends totalled their car, and after getting check from ins. co, they were able to buy their wrecked car from ins. co for $200.
Maybe you'll get your cake and eat it too.

nifaron
09-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Friends totalled their car, and after getting check from ins. co, they were able to buy their wrecked car from ins. co for $200.
Maybe you'll get your cake and eat it too.

My dad was able to do the same thing - the insurance guy was kind enough (!) to tell him how much the scrapper was going to pay for it ($350) and he was allowed to match it. If they want a certain amount for the scrapped value, maybe make them show you a written offer from someone else?

This is not a "see I told you so", but for the 2 of 5 vehicles that I own that I couldn't easily replace with money in the bank I carry full coverage insurance. I also chose an insurance company that is local so if something does go wrong and they screw me at least I get to look them in the eye every week at the grocery store! :bash:

Funny story: several years ago my daily driver was a 1987 Volvo 240 wagon. A highschool girl came to my company to interview for an internship, and when turning in the parking lot she didn't turn tight enough and hit my car. She proceeded to park and go inside not knowing that someone had seen her. I was able to go outside and take photos of the damage and her red paint on my blue car. I assumed she'd confess in the interview, but to my amazement she didn't. Of course, we had her contact info tho. I then called her at home and asked if she had anything to say to me about the car accident... :rad: turns out BOTH her parents work for my insurance company... I was paid VERY quickly, and she didn't get the job. :tongue:

Aaron

david_42
09-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Since I just had my 2003 transmission rebuilt on August 2nd I am wondering if it would fit in a 2005? Also, would the 2003 engine fit in a 2005?

Absolutely. There are some differences, I think the biggest one is the low pressure fuel pump. But, that's not on the engine.

I'd be a shame to give up all of the work you've done though.

bankodave
09-17-2013, 10:43 PM
Well I settled with Progressive on my Sprinter today. I ended up getting $10,226 for my van and was able to buy it back for $1757. The majority of the salvage value was the rebuilt transmission that I had all the paperwork on.

Now I am purchasing the 2005 I found for $7000. This van has 274k miles on it so my plan is to swap the transmission out at some point. Before purchasing I made sure to follow Dr.A's check list on buying a used Sprinter. First thing I looked for was the Black Death and am happy to report that there was none to be found. I don't think the guy at the dealership ever had anyone ask if they could remove a valve cover before.

Thanks all for your input on this. I will most likely have some parts available if anyone is interested. Since the engine will not swap over that will be one thing I will be looking to sell. It runs great and has about 105k miles on it.

Dave

MillionMileSprinter
09-17-2013, 11:18 PM
Great news! Good luck with the tranny change over. Like I said before, I went through a similar situation and considered swapping the tranny from my 125K mile '02 into my new-to-me 340K mile '06. The engine wouldn't swap over (like you already know), but the tranny would. In the end, I decided against it. I would have done all that work for only a supposition that the higher mile tranny would die soon. And who's to say I wouldn't have damaged something else in the process of swapping the two? Or what if I ran into a problem where the ECU wouldn't communicate with the new tranny? I just felt I was rolling too many dice.
Knock on wood, my decision to leave things as-is was a good one. I was able to sell my damaged sprinter in great running condition for a good price and my now 345K mile sprinter has been great, even towing a 4,500# trailer all over the NorthEast this summer. No problems at all.
Good luck with your project!