PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question: What is SKREEM, what does it do?

nifaron
09-07-2013, 10:24 AM
I have a general idea:idunno:, but can someone please define it exactly?

Thanks!
Aaron

nifaron
09-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Ahh! The manual to the rescue!

"REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY The SKREEM is a combination of the Remote Key- less Entry (RKE) module and the Sentry Key Immo- bilizer (SKIM) module. It is located behind the instrument cluster and has an antenna that mounts to the A-pillar."

#winning!

MillionMileSprinter
09-07-2013, 11:30 AM
The "immobilizer" part is what our discussions are usually about when you see the word SKREEM in a post. In the upper corner of the key fob there is a security chip imbedded. Surrounding the ignition is a ring that has three lines on it that refer to "stop" "run" and "start" (or something like that). That ring is not there just for looks. It is part of the "immobilizer" system and it needs to sense the security chip before it will allow you to start the engine. So if you were to take your key to a local key cutter and have them cut you a straight metal key, it would unlock your doors, fit in the ignition and even allow you turn the engine over, but that's it. The van won't run. It has been immobilized. If someone has a problem with their SKREEM, usually the words "start error" appear in the yellow screen above the steering wheel where you usually see the miles/kilometers/time displayed. Hope this helps.

nifaron
09-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Good to know, thanks! Even after replacing the batteries in the fob it still won't unlock the doors. The light on the fob flashes red when you press a button, but nothing happens. My Sprinter was previously owned by law enforcement and was apparently used to haul prisoners (!), so I wonder if it has been disabled... would that be possible?

Thanks!
Aaron

Aqua Puttana
09-07-2013, 02:42 PM
...My Sprinter was previously owned by law enforcement and was apparently used to haul prisoners (!), so I wonder if it has been disabled... would that be possible?

Thanks!
Aaron
That sounds likely to me. :idunno:

Some additioonal SKREEM information is here:

Aqua Puttana
09-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Cont.

david_42
09-07-2013, 02:45 PM
If the fob has been operated more than 255 times when too far from the vehicle it won't work until reset. Try this:

In order to put it back in synchronization it will be necessary to have ALL the other transmitters that are used with this vehicle available and follow the following procedure:
1. Cycle the ignition on and off 2 times within 6 seconds (leave in off position).
2. Press the lock or unlock button of the disabled transmitter within 3 seconds of turning the ignition off.
3. Press any button (lock or unlock) 3 more times within 6 seconds.
4. Wait 10 seconds.
5. Press any button of ALL other transmitters belonging to this vehicle at least once within the next 20 seconds.

1dzmotard
09-10-2013, 04:21 AM
I had a bad skreem on my 2002 T1N 2500. I would get the startor error message. The SKREEM is under the drivers dash above the speedo a little black box and my ECU was under the drivers left dash compartment. I took them out my self it was easy. I disconnected the battery and went at it. Than I sent the ECU, SKREEM, and keys to S.O.S Diagnostics and for $600 the van starts all the time. They flashed the ECU and Keys to the new SKREEM.

To get it starred when it was bad I'd let the sun come in the front window an let it cook it would start but it sucked.

nifaron
09-10-2013, 10:40 AM
If the fob has been operated more than 255 times when too far from the vehicle it won't work until reset. Try this:

In order to put it back in synchronization it will be necessary to have ALL the other transmitters that are used with this vehicle available and follow the following procedure:
1. Cycle the ignition on and off 2 times within 6 seconds (leave in off position).
2. Press the lock or unlock button of the disabled transmitter within 3 seconds of turning the ignition off.
3. Press any button (lock or unlock) 3 more times within 6 seconds.
4. Wait 10 seconds.
5. Press any button of ALL other transmitters belonging to this vehicle at least once within the next 20 seconds.

I went thru this process a several times with no luck... I'm going to assume that my FOB is probably defective, since everything else seems to work ok. Not a big deal, I can still use keys.

Thanks!
Aaron

MillionMileSprinter
09-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Aaron, since your lock/unlock buttons don't work, you might want to just carry around a simple, single steel key instead of the big useless fob. This post might be of interest to you:
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27049&highlight=lost+keys

jim Camp
09-20-2013, 06:18 PM
How long do the fob batterys last and how long can the truck go without running I store mine during off race season, mabe 3-4 months at a time ,but I do use a good solar battery maintainer?