PDA

View Full Version : Source and temp remedy for this hose..

Goofy foot
09-07-2013, 02:58 AM
2 days after installing new air filter, and fuel filter, I noticed a drop in acceleration that had just improved with the filter changes. This is what I found. It's the hose that feeds the intake manifold, but am not sure the precise name and oem part #. Also would like to hear if shoe goo, guerrilla tape, etc. really work as temporary fixes. Thanks guys!http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/07/ujudu2e4.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/07/e5u2a9ab.jpg

sailquik
09-07-2013, 03:19 AM
Goofy,
That looks like the main turbo hose from the MAF (Mass Air Filter) plastic box to the front of the intake manifold on an 04-'06 OM-647 T1N Sprinter.
You can use a cut open tin can, some duct tape and lots of very tight wraps with no stretch fishing line or stranded bare wire as a "band aid" to keep it from leaking until you get the new turbo hose.
You may need to buy the hose you need, and the MAF box and the hose that comes up from the LH side of the Charge Air Cooler (CAC) if you get it at a Dodge or Freightliner dealer.
Since you are in California, I'd suggest trying Euro Parts SD. Looks like they have the hoses complete with the plastic box to mount the MAF and inlet air temp sensors. Seems like a very good price to me. Steve can probably ship it overnight for Monday delivery.
http://europarts-sd.com/hose-intercoolertointake2002-2006.asp
Roger

shortshort
09-07-2013, 04:45 AM
I cleaned mine with brake cleaner and patched it with shoe goo, a piece of innertube, and a couple of zip ties. Got me to the parts store and back. I would have used contact cement if I could have found some. I think the key ingredient is the zip ties. Call around to the local dodge and MBZ dealers. Somebody has one in stock. For sure Steve at SD Europarts has them if you can wait.

Aqua Puttana
09-07-2013, 01:41 PM
.... I think the key ingredient is the zip ties. ...
I agree completely. You need something unyielding for the patch material to be squeezed against as the hose expands.

From another member I learned to consider a tire tube patch. It seems ideal to me as long as it is backed up by some cable ties, braided picture wire wraps, fishing line, or etc. to contain the expansion. Something to distribute the load as Roger suggests with a piece of tin helps too. I would consider a tire tube patch followed by wrapping as a temporary/permanent situation until the parts arrive. The worst that can happen is that you go back to LHM and need to repair again.

Some parts info is here.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=74832#post74832

vic

bc339
09-07-2013, 05:54 PM
I am on my third intake hose - each one has failed in the same area. My last semi permanent repair lasted over a year. I got a new hose after the hose split, but I wanted to see how long the repair lasted.
First,clean the area with acetone to remove the dirt, dust and oily residue. I use a radial tire patch and rubber cement. Apply a good coat of rubber cement, let dry, then apply the patch. Cover the patch with gorilla tape. Secure with your choice of zip ties or metal hose clamps. I've used both. The hose clamps work very well if the hole is on a straight section.
I recently had the hose split on the turbo side from the resonator to the intercooler. The split was very hard to control - I even tried using about a dozen zip ties. All I managed to do was to slow the leak until I got the replacement hose within the week.

Bruce

skill3
09-08-2013, 08:56 PM
If it were me, I would try to patch the inside and the outside of the hose. That is, if it is reachable. Then you could wrap it in some kind of stiff tape followed by zip ties. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

NelsonSprinter
09-08-2013, 09:56 PM
If it were me, I would try to patch the inside and the outside of the hose. That is, if it is reachable. Then you could wrap it in some kind of stiff tape followed by zip ties. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Repairing inside and outside is better in theory, But I would be anxious of the hose's oil dissolving the rubber cement and sucking the patch into the EGR and intake manifold ! So not for my liking :2cents:

skill3
09-08-2013, 10:46 PM

I was assuming the best case scenario, that the patch would stay intact. I never considered the worse case scenario, that the patch would fail. I formally retract my now stupid suggestion.

Goofy foot
09-09-2013, 06:31 AM
Formal retractions are respectfully accepted....you made me laugh outloud!

hkpierce
09-09-2013, 03:34 PM
I am on my third intake hose - each one has failed in the same area.

Bruce

This failure does not seem to be common. So why the frequent failures on yours? Is there extra movement on hose from the motor? installation putting some pressure on the hose? Heat?

surlyoldbill
09-09-2013, 03:53 PM
As an expert in duct tape and bailing wire emergency repairs, I would avoid duct tape. It is not air-tight. There are types of tape made for emergency plumbing repairs that would work great, but you need to place something rigid (cut open beer can) over the first wrap of tape, and then wrap tightly. Zip ties or bailing wire over the tape wraps to keep hose from expanding. That should be a good temp fix until the new hose arrives.

Goofy foot
09-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Does it sound improbable or coincidental only, that increased boost after new air filter/ fuel filter were installed , stressed a 7 year old hose to the breaking point ?

Aqua Puttana
09-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Does it sound improbable or coincidental only, that increased boost after new air filter/ fuel filter were installed , stressed a 7 year old hose to the breaking point ?
The ECM (aka ECU) controls the boost pressure. The air filter and fuel filter would need to be extremely dirty to the point of affecting engine operation to affect that. (Translation = In my opinion, little to no chance.)

As our Sprinters put on years and miles hose failures are getting to be more common. I vote coincidence, except that maybe you disturbed the hose during your maintenance work. vic

CJPJ
09-09-2013, 11:25 PM
All things of this Earth will not last forever. All things have a service life... and within a number of duty-cycles it will eventually fail. The big factor in reducing this exacting number is the severity of duty cycle, extremes, pressures, environment, defects ... that bring nearer the shortening count down to the end time. Does it sound improbable or coincidental only, that increased boost after new air filter/ fuel filter were installed , stressed a 7 year old hose to the breaking point ?
Yes in a way!... To begin with the Hose's service life was in a fragile state of being, 7 years of oil softening the rubber or heat baking the rubber or the number of duty cycles etc... So it could be said that after the new air filter/ fuel filter install, you may have felt the engine was running well... when you Goofy foot caused the (ECM (aka ECU)* Vic) interludeing to increasing the boost pressure enough to exceed the diminishing count down number that exploited the weakness in the hose induceing the eminent failure.

:2cents:
We induce the variable performance of the parts in play.