PDA

View Full Version : Rebadging - does it hurt dealer service?

kmessinger
03-01-2008, 10:35 PM
The third thing on my list of to do's when the Sprinter is finished is to rebadge it Mercedes. Do you think this might cause some ill feeling with the dealer or dealer's mechanic? I think a long time Dodge guy might be inclined not to go quite as far in keeping me happy.

Regards,

Keith

Don Horner
03-02-2008, 03:25 AM
My local Dodge dealer recently started selling Sprinters. I stopped by to try to determine their level of service. After introducing me to the two very experienced service techs they had recently hired just for Sprinters, the service manager walked out to see my "ride". He was very excited to see that it was their first Sprinter badged as a Mercedes. Everyone there thought it was cool. When I subsequently got my service, they did an excellent job. On the other hand, the out-of-town dealer where I had previously taken it were more like, "Ho hum, another Mercedes-badged Sprinter." Again, I still got excellent service. By the way, my Sprinter was originally badged as a Freightliner, and none of the dealers cared.

It was originally a 2004 Freightliner, is badged as a Mercedes, is called a Dodge by the insurance company and is titled as a 2005 Leisure Travel Van. It doesn't make any difference.

BaywoodBill
03-02-2008, 04:12 PM
It was originally a 2004 Freightliner, is badged as a Mercedes, is called a Dodge by the insurance company and is titled as a 2005 Leisure Travel Van. It doesn't make any difference.

Therein lies a potential insurance problem. Not for you, I'm sure; you have no doubt covered this ground with your insurance agent.

The deal is that most insurance policies that insure a Dodge Sprinter are going to pay for a Dodge Sprinter if it burns up. They won't pay for a sink and bathroom and refrigerator, etc.

For RV owners it's crucial to make certain the after-factory mods put on by the RV factory (or by you) are going to be insured in case of loss. Otherwise, the insurance company is only insuring what came from the Chassis Factory. If the policy says "Dodge", where does it say in writing that the RV components are covered?

SprinterWisc
03-02-2008, 05:41 PM
That's a great point, Bill. Is yours classified by your insurance carrier as strictly a van, or as an RV? Sprinter owners who have RV modifications will most likely have to consider a more expensive insurance policy specifically designed for RV's. It would be a tragedy to lose a Sprinter, but a REAL tragedy to lose a Sprinter AND all of those great RV mods.

05highroof
03-11-2008, 07:33 PM
I've been pulled over twice (no ticket) by police who have run my license plate number.They see the Mercedes emblems
but the truck is tagged as a dodge.Red flag. The first time I explained the modification to the officer and he let me go without even checking my drivers license or truck reg and ins.(my steering wheel still has the dodge emblem)
The 2nd time the officer was sure I was up to no good but he let me go after checking my documentation.
The other negative I find is that being a contractor and pulling up to a job in a Benz, potential customers tend to think I'm going to rake them over the coals with my price and other contractors give funny looks sometimes.
I have to admit that the Mercedes emblem on the grill is almost big enough to have it's own solar system and that sometimes when I pull up to a job site I park the truck so the emblem can't be seen.:smilewink:

jdcaples
03-11-2008, 07:46 PM
My Sprinter says Freightliner, but I believe the title says, "DaimlerChrysler Vans, LLC" as the manufacturer. I know my Certificate of Origin says, "DaimlerChrysler Vans, LLC."

I don't see how the three-pointed star should matter to a dealership. I'd expect a minority of law enforcement officers to be "confused," but the matter should be easily dismissed with some polite conversation.

I find it a little offensive that I had my Sprinter in a Dodge service center exactly once - for a burned out light and to have the current at the socket checked - and suddenly I'm getting offers in the mail referring to my "Dodge Sprinter."

Someone told me that Certificates of Origin now say, "ChryslerVans, LLC" so any way you slice it there are gaps in the story between badging and legal descriptions. Sprinters in North America definitely suffer from an identity crisis.

-Jon

PS: has anyone rebadged their washing machine?