PDA

View Full Version : Seat base options (not swivel the actual base)

Jb1rd73
09-06-2013, 01:50 PM
I just joined this mad world and first and foremost want to say thank you, this forum is awesome! That being said I have searched with no avail to figure out my question;I bought an 06 140 high-top with 106k on the clock but looking at the interior you would think it was triple that, it was a pool repair service vehicle in its former life :thumbdown:
My immediate problem is that it only has a driver seat and this little fold up jump seat hanging off the partition wall. The misses will not go for it, I tried the extra room is kinda nice, lol, but happy wife happy life. Is there someplace the sales the base, I can find seats all day long on craigslist but I need the mounting point. Has anyone just had one fabricated? Also what are the options for quick removable seats for the rear, I found a set out of a 2007+ that have the cool quick release and that would be ideal, can you get the hardware and retro fit them to work in the older van? Its a blank slate so now is the time to cut and fit.

Jb1rd73
09-07-2013, 02:58 PM
No advice? I'll post when I figure it out then, I'm sure I'm not the only one to face this issue.

ECU
09-07-2013, 03:44 PM
You can get a seat base. You'll have to do a bit of work to remove that jump seat. I don't know much else.

Graphite Dave
09-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Find a wrecked Sprinter to get seat and base.

Iowa Don
09-07-2013, 11:34 PM
I have a former FedEx Sprinter and had the same problem (mine's a 2002). I found a seat and pedestal at a salvage yard via www.car-part.com.

Thankfully the pedestal is bolted down, and there are no spot welds to contend with. My van body had the threaded mounting points in the correct locations, so I didn't have to drill any holes. Make sure you keep the four bolts when you remove the pedestal from the donor vehicle.

I found it to be a very easy installation.

Jb1rd73
09-07-2013, 11:56 PM
Thanks all I will let you know ow it progresses, I am currently hunched over the roof trying to remove a full body vinyl wrap
P I A!!!!! Gonna get online and check the www you gave. Appreciate all the insight this group has to offer. No use trying to reinvent the wheel

John484
09-08-2013, 03:01 PM
If the passenger seat base is similar to driver side, and I think it is, it is simply bolted in. Yank it from a crashed van is my advise. Maybe look for one with the lumbar bladder thingy option, wife might like that.
I think most jump seat models also do not have a passenger airbag as they were primarily used by couriers. You will have a recessed storage cubby where the airbag would go if this is the case.

Oh and I hope you have a heat gun to remove the wrap? $15 at harbor freight and way better than a hair dryer for stuff like that, and heat shrink tubing and whatnot. 3m adhesive/grease remover is great too.

Jb1rd73
09-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Down to just the hood and above the windshield to remove the vinyl but its so baked on I had to walk away for sanity sake, not sure what to do here short of sanding and repainting. However when I got in there I noticed that there is a quarter size hole rusted in each lower corner of the windshield and water is able to pour through and right onto the battery on the driver side. What's the best way to deal with this? I was thinking that since I can't weld I need someone to cut it out repair and figure out a drain hose solution that will funnel the water to the wheel well.

mean_in_green
09-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Do you mean holes in the area directly below the 'screen where the wipers are? Thise holes either side are meant to be there if that's the case - they're drain holes!

israndy
09-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Do you mean holes in the area directly below the 'screen where the wipers are? Thise holes either side are meant to be there if that's the case - they're drain holes!

:smirk:

Jb1rd73
09-09-2013, 01:16 AM
Yes but they have expanded and now water runs right onto the battery. I'll try and add pics but can't figure out how to do it from my iPad.

jmoller99
09-09-2013, 08:52 PM
I have fabricated frameworks to hold different seats in place of the Sprinter seats (you might want more comfortable car seats) using 1/8 inch X 1 1/2 inch angle Steel (available at most hardware stores). My Sprinter has 2001 RAV4 seats (not a direct bolt in by any stretch of the imagination), and have done a drivers seat from a Audi A5 (lots of screwing around getting the power seats to work). Looking to do some Volvo Seats next.

I would suggest mechanical seats if possible (lots simpler). I got my replacement car seats from a Junk Yard.

My seats were the first things I replaced on my 2002 Sprinter - The old drivers seat was worn out. My wife needed a seat that could recline on the passenger side. I also added after market seat heaters (about $30 a seat). It's great for long trips.