PDA

View Full Version : Tranny ?

AWME Inc
09-06-2013, 10:19 AM
My mechanic want to take a tranny hose loose and hook it to hit tranny machine to suck all the old oil out and put the new back in. Is this ok to do?

2006 DODGE 2500

I have read about a electrical connector that needs to be changed when you do your oil and wondered if that would still be needed?

Trayscott
09-06-2013, 11:37 AM
From what I have read here it is not recommended. Why? I have no idea. The entire transmission can be changed without a machine because there is a drain on the torque convertor that hold most of the oil in the transmission. Do a search there is info all over this forum

zehnersprinter
09-06-2013, 12:01 PM
and....from what I heard on here and from my freightliner dealer - use ONLY the approved oil - again - search this out on the forum. Too expensive to screww that part up! I buy my oil from the dealer - i know -costs more but piece of mind is priceless.

uglied
09-06-2013, 02:43 PM
The process is called flushing. Have had problems having it done as it loosens particles that do not always get flushed out. Lost 2 transmissions after having a flush. Sprinter has drain plugs so you get a good service using them. Do not forget to have filter changed and use correct fluid. Service shops like flushing as they charge extra for using the machine a good source of revenue.

cahaak
09-06-2013, 10:06 PM
There is no reason to do that. If you drain the pan and the torque converter, which is easy to do, you get most of the fluid out for a change. You don't need to flush the tranny. This is a DIY job if you are so inclined.

Chris

EZoilburner
09-07-2013, 02:19 AM
Europarts in San Diego CA sells kits with fluid, filter and gasket. I do not work for them or get anything for the advertising but it is very convenient way to purchase what You need and have it all at Your doorstep.

riskydnb
09-07-2013, 04:22 AM
Yes changing the tranny fluid is really easy, 45min job. Take off the transmission pan and then drain the torque converter. There will probably be metal shavings on the magnet in the bottom of the pan that need to be cleaned too. Put everything back together with the new filter and gasket and add 8 qts of the required tranny fluid.

shortshort
09-07-2013, 04:29 AM
Your mechanic ahole. Get new.

AWME Inc
09-07-2013, 10:59 AM
My mechanic is not an Ahole, he is the one who told me that this would be his first sprinter tranny change and to find out if there was any tips or tricks.
He is my next door neighbor and he only charges me for parts at his cost and $20 an hour.

Thanks for all the other info, he only wanted to use the machine to get all the oil, he did not know about the drain on the TC.

Thanks for the parts look up hook up.

lindenengineering
09-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Guys
A transmission flush machine has its uses, I however fail to see that it is a cure all for ALL situations.

In particular it does not address the need to change the suction filter which can restrict flow to the internal pump and cause shifting response issues.

Yes, I can remember the Snap On sales pitch and the expediency to buy one for my shop, plus the increased shop profits "carrot dangler", thus saving time on expensive labor content of removing the pan on some vehicles (ex Landrover D1 2.5 hours). But I resisted the need to buy a "shop ornament" at about $7K because it cannot clean the filter and in some cases cause contingent damage on neglected transmissions where the fluid medium and the filter have gone way, way past their change date.

Some vehicles and their transmissions are hard to service correctly for many reasons and can jack up the customer service cost to areas in excess of $2000 (no typo!).
Fortunately with the Sprinter the servicing time is about an hour, and those clever MB people even put a drain plug on the TC so the job can be done without a machine, but as I stated its not needed in this situation except for fluid capture maybe.

As a footnote, not all mechanics are or fall into the rectum" category they are just like all other professions. Offering a service sometimes for a questionable outcome or cost!!--a profit booster for them in most cases.
When doctor orders an MRI for you at a local in house clinic at about $2000 a frame, is he thinking of your well being or the payment on his new E class or a semester payment for his beloved at the select private university he/she goes to.
As with most services AND especially medical always question the expediency and outcome.
I suppose in the case of the latter since many have health insurance they don't give a rip about what its costs at the point of service delivery . Until you have to pay for it!
Dennis

AWME Inc
09-09-2013, 11:38 AM
I remember something about a specific number to make sure you order the right parts??