PDA

View Full Version : Backup Camera & New Stereo questions

nifaron
09-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Hi all,

Thanks as always for all the amazing help! This forum is such a Blessing!

Last night I installed a new Kenwood stereo - I spent a few extra $ and bought it from Crutchfield in order to get the free installation kit. Took a total of about 10 minutes including the time for me to solder the wiring harness together. Piece of cake. :bounce:

Questions:
- The factory harness has rear speaker wires, but to my knowledge, my Sprinter doesn't have rear speakers - where do these lead to?

- Any favorite brand speakers that easily fit in the dash? I'm a complete audiosnob... err audiophile, so something accurate and clear is preferred. My home stereo is a pair of Genelec 1031A's...

- If I install additional speakers in the headliner or the doors, how does one go about snaking wire back there?

- I ordered a Rosco backup camera from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005XLSZ44/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) - where is the best path to route the wiring? I plan to install the camera behind the rear AC unit near the taillight.

- Where is the best place to mount the 7" LCD monitor on the dash?

Thanks!
Aaron in Iowa

Boater
09-06-2013, 11:22 AM
My Sprinter is a high top and where the roof joins the side it makes a channel at least a couple of inches wide, I ran my reversing camera wires (and other wires for my camping interior) along here and fitted hinges to the lining panel that covers it so I can get access relatively easily in the future. A low roof probably has the same feature. Mine has a shelf over the cab with TV, microwave and charge panel so the wiring all ends up behind the charge panel, it would be easy enough in your case to route the wires over the headlining, either to the A pillar (work out how to take the plastic cover off and you will find stuff like the radio antenna wire and alarm stuff if you have any already running down it), or if you can work out how to mount your monitor from the headliner, direct to the monitor.

Again my shelf helped out there as I was able to make a hinged mount to attach my monitor in front of the shelf so I can swing it up flush with the shelf and out of sight from the windscreen when parked up. Another possibility is to use a rear view mirror mount for the monitor if your windscreen has one, or you can find a suitable adhesive mount. I couldn't find a spot on the dash I liked, and I liked the added security of being able to hide it - might prevent a smash and grab theft.

Would be surprised if a passenger van doesn't have some rear speakers somewhere, maybe hidden in the rear AC unit? Obviously the A pillar cover is the way to route wires to the headliner if you want speakers there. For the doors you probably want to pass them through the same grommet that any door electrics already use - do you have power windows or mirrors? (I don't, not even central locking!).

Best bet is to work out how to get the top panel of the dash off (it's a big bugger, runs right across on my 1996, and down to below the heater controls) so you can see where all the existing wires run and can more easily thread the new wires without distubing existing stuff trying to feed through with cable rods or something, on mine the cabling around the stereo is particularly precarious and it would be easy to accidentally unplug something trying to work through a keyhole! Finding all the screws if the biggest challenge!

Trayscott
09-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Bigbluebus on here has a nice set up that I saw in person. He may have alot of these answers for you.

nifaron
09-07-2013, 10:09 AM
I ended up getting about half done last night. The previous owner (Las Vegas law enforcement) had mounted what I presume was a camera and thus there was already a hole that had been plugged near the roof taillight. After removing the inside rear AC cover, I used a long zip tie and was able to snake the cables up thru the roof. They now run up to the front tucked in the little channel of the AC roof vents. This way I can hang the monitor either near my rear view mirror, or run the cable down the channel near the windshield for dash mounting. We shall see. I'm generally happy with the build quality of the camera (listed above) - the image quality is marginal, but it should do the trick.

Thanks!
Aaron