PDA

View Full Version : Labelled photos of engine

wbk
09-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Hi all -

I'm a proud Sprinter owner and love this forum. I've realized that I'd be smarter and better off to diagnose, think thru and learn more if I had a photo or multiple photos with labels on the what and where certain things are in the engine compartment. Anyone have anything of the sort?

Right now, I'm trying to understand where the pump, hoses and servo are that control the cruise control for example and following descriptions is extremely confusing for me (at least lining up what is written with what I'm seeing).

(The pump is located on the passenger side of the engine compartment, back by the firewall. Look in the middle of the firewall by the cowl and you'll see a small plastic line going into the cowl. follow it back and you will come to a T fitting. Follow it to the passenger side and it will go into the Vacuum pump that controls the Cruise control.If you follow it to the other side, it goes under the Battery box. this is where the Servo for the cruise is located. Check the lines for small cracks, wear spots or even breaks. The plastic line can get beaten up pretty easily.)

Thanks so much!

NelsonSprinter
09-05-2013, 11:41 PM
This is the front of 612 engine as if seen thru rads 2000-2003

wbk
09-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Is the 612 engine the same as a Sprinter engine? This photo looks quite different than my Sprinter but perhaps I'm confused or this is looking at the engine removed and not just looking under the hood? Thanks

Aqua Puttana
09-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Is the 612 engine the same as a Sprinter engine? This photo looks quite different than my Sprinter but perhaps I'm confused or this is looking at the engine removed and not just looking under the hood? Thanks
The NAFTA OM612 5 cyl., OM647 5 cyl., and OM642 V6 are all diesel Sprinter engines.

Vacuum on the curise control? The diesel CDI engines use electronically controlled cruise control.

You don't say what model year and engine you have. Do you have a gasoline engine? vic

A Canned Posting Add-on

Please take the time to add your vehicle info to all your posts automatically!!!!! It's easy to do. It will help you to get answers. Thank you.

Here's how to do it.

The most direct method is probably in your "Details".
After you are logged in click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right corner.
On the left side under "Your Profile" click on "Edit your Details".
Scroll down to the "Custom User Title" box.
Click in that box and type the information.
I suggest “Vehicle year – NAFTA or 311, etc.” depending upon your location.
Scroll down to the "Save Changes" box. Click on that and you are done.

Another place is in your "Signature".
Click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right.
On the left look for "Setting and Options".
Click on "Edit Signature".
Scroll down to the text box which looks like what you use to add a post to the forum. Type in the information you want.
I used “NAFTA 2004 OM647 140 2500 Std Roof >259,000 mi. DAD”
Scroll down to "Preview Signature". If the preview looks like what you want, scroll down to "Save Signature", click on that and you're done.

I don’t know what objection anyone could have to adding their model year and Sprinter detail information permanently. (You don’t need to include your location.) Consider it this way. Members of the forum will try to help you. Do you think that it is fair for one to expect anyone to dig up your vehicle information before they reply? You only need to add the info once using the guide above and you’re done. Sorry if I'm being too straightforward for some.

Can't see Signature and Avatar Info?
Go to Quick Links in the blue bar above.
Click "Edit Options".
Scroll to "Thread Display Options".
Look to see if "Show Signatures" and "Show Avatars" are checked.
Click on them if not.
Go down to "Save Changes".

Thanks. vic

Boater
09-09-2013, 03:10 PM
The NAFTA OM612 5 cyl., OM647 5 cyl., and OM642 V6 are all diesel Sprinter engines.

For the rest of the world there are also OM 601 4 cyl., OM602 5 cyl. and OM611 4 cyl. - but not available in USA.

Vacuum on the curise control? The diesel CDI engines use electronically controlled cruise control.

I thought that was odd, but don't have cruise control so decided not to comment. Vacuum is used for the brake servo (aka booster), EGR valve on some models, Heater recirculation, headlamp adjust and turbo wategate on some models. EGR is electronic on newer models and the turbo is variable geometry on newer modes and also electronically controlled, some of the oldest non US models have the turbo set to self regulate so the wastegate is controlled by the pressure in the turbo not the vac system.

It is entirely possible that some generation of sprinter does use vacuum for some aspect of cruise control, but since the throttle on all but the OM601 has EDC (electronic diesel control) sometimes called fly-by-wire it's kind of hard to see where vacuum would be used, except perhaps on the OM601 which I believe has a mechanical throttle linkage.

You don't say what model year and engine you have. Do you have a gasoline engine? vic

The OM 601 is only used in pre-2000 sprinters ending in 08D, so 208D, 308D and 408D, if the OP has one of these, maybe his cruise control does use a vac actuator to control the throttle? For all other models logic tells me cruise will be electronic, but logic does sometimes fail!

I will try to dig out some of my OM602 photos and add labels, rebuilding it twice made me pretty familiar with what each bit is, but most of them are very similar to that OM612 photo from Nelson - I don't have aircon and the tensioner design is different with the belt routed differently but each component apart from the idler is in roughly the same place, as is the gap where aircon could be fitted.

sailquik
09-09-2013, 03:14 PM
wbk,
The photo above is looking at the front of the OM-612 2.7 liter 5 cylinder inline Sprinter diesel engine for NAFTA year models
2002 (Freightliner pretty much) and 2003 (Freightliner and Dodge) with the front grille, AC condenser/Charge Air Cooler and
coolant radiator/engine driven viscous fan removed.
If you are looking "under the hood" you are looking down at all these pulleys just behind the coolant radiator.
Like Vic, I would be very surprised to find that you have a vacuum operated/actuated Cruise control system.
It's possible on the '02/'03 as the turbocharger actuator is vacuum powered on the OM-612 in these year models.
I know for sure that the '04-'06 Sprinters (NAFTA/USA/CANADA) with the OM-647 engine have completely electronic cruise
control systems. The cruise control gets plugged/wired into the main Engine Control Module (ECM) and there is not vacuum associated
with the CC system in these Sprinters.
If you can send me your VIN # (by Private Message above, with a valid email address) I will download your Sprinters complete "build data" Data Card.
Not sure if it will help with your current question, but it will spell out virtually every component that was installed in your Sprinter when it was manufactured and
provide you with the serial numbers for the major components.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Aqua Puttana
09-09-2013, 03:34 PM
I know that all the guessing can be interesting to some. I prefer that people would just add their vehicle info once and be done with it.

Not that it's a big deal to anyone, but I'm getting closer to not answering questions from any long term members who don't add their info. I don't even try to remember who owns what here. I have enough trouble remembering my own important stuff. When trying to help with problems not having the simple vehicle information can create subsequent guessing which often throws us off the scent. Just a model year helps for the most part. :2cents: vic

A Canned Posting Add-on

Please take the time to add your vehicle info to all your posts automatically!!!!! It's easy to do. It will help you to get answers. Thank you.

Here's how to do it.

The most direct method is probably in your "Details".
After you are logged in click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right corner.
On the left side under "Your Profile" click on "Edit your Details".
Scroll down to the "Custom User Title" box.
Click in that box and type the information.
I suggest “Vehicle year – NAFTA or 311, etc.” depending upon your location.
Scroll down to the "Save Changes" box. Click on that and you are done.

Another place is in your "Signature".
Click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right.
On the left look for "Setting and Options".
Click on "Edit Signature".
Scroll down to the text box which looks like what you use to add a post to the forum. Type in the information you want.
I used “NAFTA 2004 OM647 140 2500 Std Roof >259,000 mi. DAD”
Scroll down to "Preview Signature". If the preview looks like what you want, scroll down to "Save Signature", click on that and you're done.

I don’t know what objection anyone could have to adding their model year and Sprinter detail information permanently. (You don’t need to include your location.) Consider it this way. Members of the forum will try to help you. Do you think that it is fair for one to expect anyone to dig up your vehicle information before they reply? You only need to add the info once using the guide above and you’re done. Sorry if I'm being too straightforward for some.

Can't see Signature and Avatar Info?
Go to Quick Links in the blue bar above.
Click "Edit Options".
Scroll to "Thread Display Options".
Look to see if "Show Signatures" and "Show Avatars" are checked.
Click on them if not.
Go down to "Save Changes".

Thanks. vic

jmoller99
09-09-2013, 09:12 PM
If you have a T1N, the shop and parts manuals are online for you to download.

However, since I don't know what model you have, I'll just guess its this one.

Boater
09-09-2013, 09:18 PM
I don’t know what objection anyone could have to adding their model year and Sprinter detail information permanently. (You don’t need to include your location.)

I have heard rumours of thefts of vehicles (mostly motorbikes) where it seems the thieves have started from info on forums and somehow pieced together user real names and addresses in order to target particular vehicles, so I can understand why some people don't like to do it.

My Sprinter isn't really attractive to thieves - especially now I have the axle off to deal with some rust - so I don't worry too much here. I am generally pretty vague about most of my other possessions on forums, my sea kayak would be an exception, it is unique so there is probably most security in making sure as many people as possible recognize it thus making it impossible for a thief to use or sell on.

On the other hand, posting on a sprinter forum implies you have a sprinter, so revealing the year and country doesn't really tell a potential thief any more of use and does make it much easier for people to help out - although hands up, I have to admit I am one of those people who enjoy a mystery!

Aqua Puttana
09-09-2013, 11:10 PM
I have heard rumours ...
But... if they want help don't they end up revealing what year and model Sprinter they have eventually anyway?

All we usually need is model year and engine type. Nothing personal is necessary.

... I'll just guess its this one.
Or another favorite of mine.

vic