PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak On Turbo Hose?

jkd159
09-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Hey All,

Problem with a 2005 T1N. Looking at one of my turbo hoses, I see a lot of oil leaking down it. I'm not sure if this is a problem and I'm having a hard time searching this forum for details because I don't know the name of any of the parts. The hose is the one that comes out of the radiator (intercooler?) on the driver's side and heads up to the intake manifold. It is the lower hose of the two, below the sensors.

This is a picture taken up from underneath:

http://jeffdeutsch.com/tmp/Sprinter/leaking_turbo1.jpg

And this is the same photo, a bit more zoomed in:

http://jeffdeutsch.com/tmp/Sprinter/leaking_turbo2.jpg

Can anyone tell me what I'm dealing with here?

Thanks,
Jeff

beachbum57
09-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Could be loose clamp or split in the hose. There is usually some oil blowby from the hose when it is loose or split. Use the search function and you will find a lot of information on it.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26988&highlight=leaking+turbo+hose
Here is one for you. I don't know how to turn it into a link for you. Maybe someone will come along who can. I just typed in leaking turbo hose.

Anyway, it is easy to change if you swing the headlight out of the way. Europarts.sd only sells both hoses and the plastic bracket together. You may be able to get the single hose from sprinterparts.net (which is Berry Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge in Corsicana, TX.

I plan to change out all of my hoses soon as mine were leaking oil and I had acceleration lag. Tightened the hose clamps and all is good now, however, the hoses are old.

Good luck! You can fix it! (Well, it turned into a link as soon as I saved the reply! Now I know, lol.)

Boater
09-05-2013, 10:58 PM
The engine breather is attached to the intake just before the turbo so any oil vapour that gets breathed out ends up condensing in the intake hoses. It is not unusual to find oil in them when you undo the clips but if you have it leaking out you may have a problem with hose or clip. Mix in some recirculated exhaust from the EGR valve and you find the air hoses can get quite messy!

Almost certainly not a critical problem, but makes a mess so worth investigating and fixing. There is a slim chance it is a symptom of a bigger problem - overfilled oil, or possibly worn piston rings allowing combustion gas to pressurize the crankcase.

jkd159
09-06-2013, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the info. Sounds like something I need to keep an eye on, but not panic over. Don't see fresh oil, so that's good. No idea what happened to this poor van before I got it.

seans
09-06-2013, 06:16 AM
I've seen this on mine, from hose clamps that loosened and allowed oily air to blow by under boost conditions. The clamps are not perfectly round, and compress the hose more in some spots than others. Since noticing this, if I loosen a clamp, I now try to put the clamp back on in exactly the same spot it was when I loosened it.

skill3
09-07-2013, 03:52 AM
If I were you, I would buy new hoses and have them as soon as you need them. Sooner or later, you're going to have a problem with that hose. And more than likely, you will be in the middle of nowhere.

shortshort
09-07-2013, 04:32 AM
+1. I'm on my fourth upper hose. The lower is a lot less prone to splitting. You should not see oil coming out. Tighten it up.

riskydnb
09-07-2013, 04:52 AM
very common, Id say 75% of the sprinters I work on have this issue. Its not a big deal. Changing the lower turbo hose will help.