PDA

View Full Version : Engine randomly dies, code is p2146 (injector circuit malfunction)

gasteps
09-05-2013, 06:50 AM
I have a 2005 2500 (Freightliner model) with 170k mi, which usually runs perfectly. Suddenly it has developed a stalling problem which happens pretty randomly. I've been trying to pay attention to what's happening, but the only thing consistent is the inconsistency. The code p2146 which indicates an injector circuit fault does happen every time though. It can be uphill, down hill, after a long drive, short drive, pulling hard, idling at a stop light, hot, cold, happen in 3 months, happen twice in an hour, etc etc.

I'll be driving along and the engine just quits, like someone pulled the plug on me. The p2146 pops up on my UltraGuage. I've checked for wire chaffing around the engine, and pulled/checked the wires going to the injectors to check for corrosion. Nothing.

This problem could be VERY dangerous as tonight I was on the 101 in San Jose with a semi truck barreling down on me when it cut out.

Before I go and buy all new injectors and start taking stabs in the dark, I wanted to pass it around this forum. Haven't seen good info in the searches I've done, other than chaffing. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

mendonsy
09-05-2013, 11:10 AM
My guess would be a problem in the wiring harness. There is an area on the driver's side of the engine below the fuel filter known to fail from abrasion problems. Check all of the wiring between the injectors and the ECU.

Aqua Puttana
09-05-2013, 01:11 PM
You really should get the codes scanned with a Sprinter specific scan tool.

From 2 different code lists.

P2141 Cylinder #1 Injector Open Circuit_
P2142 Cylinder #2 Injector Open Circuit_
P2143 Cylinder #3 Injector Open Circuit_
P2144 Cylinder #4 Injector Open Circuit_
P2145 Cylinder #5 Injector Open Circuit_
(No P2146 listed at all for Sprinter)

P2141 Exhaust Gas ReCircuitulation Throttle Control Circuit Low
P2142 Exhaust Gas ReCircuitulation Throttle Control Circuit Hi
P2143 Exhaust Gas ReCircuitulation Vent Control Circuit/Open
P2144 Exhaust Gas ReCircuitulation Vent Control Circuit Low
P2145 Exhaust Gas ReCircuitulation Vent Control Circuit Hi
P2146 Fuel Injector Group 1 Supply Voltage Circuit

Your Ultrgauge is a generic OBDII performance monitor/scan tool. When a DTC is detected as existing by the Ultragauge unit it polls the ECM to read the code(s). Being that the scan tool is not Sprinter specific, it may spit out the closest code definition which it has available. Sometimes that readout is accurate, sometimes not.

In your case of an injector fault...
There are many specific injector DTC's listed for the OM647. Some definition examples other than "Open circuit" are: "Injector Fault with 3 possible specific sub codes, some Injector Actuation Fault codes with 3 or 4 possible sub codes, etc.". I could go on, but I believe even just this short list gives enough example. The possible codes being missed applies for everyone using a generic scan tool. There are many more possible Sprinter specific codes, with sub codes, for other problems than just this injector example. A ScangaugeII, Ultragauge, or other basic OBDII scan tool cannot read them.

Until you get a scan with a Sprinter specific scan tool you may be missing some information that will help to pinpoint the problem(s).

That said, by resetting the codes with a generic scan tool you may have wiped out an important code which only surfaced at the time of the first failure and may never return again. That happened to me with my O2 related LHM. A O2 sensor related code showed once on my DAD scan tool to never return again. I have a perfectly good used spare EGR because I replaced it during the Delphi O2 sensor partial failure, LHM air mass code debacle.

As an aside, anytime that you get a scan by a Sprinter specific scan tool you should ask (demand?) for a complete listing of ALL the codes revealed before allowing them to reset. As I said earlier, there may be a code which you only have one shot at reading. With a complete list you can go back for reference if the repairs drag on.

A very detailed wiring harness inspection would be high on my list of things to do, but you really need to get a proper scan. Good luck. vic

jkd159
09-05-2013, 06:58 PM
I just dealt with a similar problem in a 2005. I was getting code P2149, and found a problem in the wiring harness. It was hard to spot. Posted photos and information in this thread:
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=258134#post258134

Does anyone have a photo of damage that is commonly found where the harness passes the fuel filter? I've checked mine and don't see anything there, but wonder if I am looking in the wrong spot. It is really hard to get in to that location and see the entire circumference of the harness.

gasteps
09-06-2013, 12:25 AM
Thanks everybody! Going to go back to searching the harness and tracking down someone in the Bay Area who has a better code scanner. Here's hopping I can fix it ASAP. Will post what I come up with, when I come up with it.

Maxbid
08-02-2018, 01:16 AM
Hi Gasteps,

So I know it's now 5 years on... But any chance you could let me know what the cause was in the end? I'm having identical issues with my 2006 T1N. Problem is I'm in Nicaragua at the moment and a sprinter mechanic is hard to find!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Max

Midwestdrifter
08-02-2018, 01:34 AM
Are you getting the same code? 2146 does not seem to be relevant for the T1N OM647, as that references cylinder 6, which is not present. This is according to the official fault guide. P2141-P2145 are similar (cylinders 1-5) and reference an open circuit condition on the injectors.

On the OM647 a single injector issue will not cause a stall. Two would be required.

If you are having stalling, but don't have a relevant code, or have not pulled the codes, you could have a completely different issue.