PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Door Stuck Shut - how to remove latch?

EEJ
09-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Hi, 2005 118 Passenger: The locks have been acting funny for a little while; unlocking immediately after being locked until the sliding door was re-shut. Now suddenly today the slider won't open at all. Locking results in lock going down-up, then another try the lock goes down-up-down and stays down.

I've pulled the interior panel, removed the front latch mechanism, pulled on the cable with all my might with no effect. The rear latch mechanism is apparently jammed/broken.

Now how do I go about getting at that rear latch if I can't open the door??

It looks like I can remove the lower front roller and rear middle roller- will that enable the door to be removed? Top front roller torx screws are hidden when shut.

Thanks
EEJ

riskydnb
09-02-2013, 07:54 PM
try prying the locking mechanism to the unlock position and reinstalling the cable and mechanism, then pull on the handle like normal. Ive worked on the slidding door a lot and Ive never seen the latch unable to unlatch even when the latch was broken...The reason why your locks lock and then unlock when pressing the button is because most likely one or more of your rear door sensors isnt making contact.

EEJ
09-02-2013, 08:07 PM
thanks, I've removed the front handle mechanism and am pulling directly on the cable with no results. Is there an electric lock element involved in the rear latch that must activate to unlatch? It looks to me from parts diagram that it is just a sensor switch back there.

Eric

pfflyer
09-02-2013, 09:10 PM
In stead of pulling the cable follow it back to the latch and try tripping the latch from the lever the cable attaches to.

EEJ
09-02-2013, 09:24 PM
In stead of pulling the cable follow it back to the latch and try tripping the latch from the lever the cable attaches to.

Yep tried that too, no luck so far.

EEJ
09-02-2013, 10:19 PM
OK, finally got it open by body-checking the inside of the door at the back. Latch mechanism was open but door was stuck.

Now that I am looking at the latch mechanism, it is really not clear at all how the micro-switch is closed by the top nylon slider piece- maybe that part is not as it should be.

Eric

riskydnb
09-02-2013, 11:41 PM
If your door was stuck I would investigate the middle to so if it is worn down or you may have to readjust it by loosening the bolt and jacking the door up then tightening the bolt.

surlyoldbill
09-03-2013, 06:35 AM
Yes, look at the positioning of the latch vs the strike bolt. I recently adjusted mine after the 3rd broken plastic interior handle.

EEJ
09-04-2013, 05:25 AM
Thanks all. Got it all together and it works well again. Thank goodness I was lazy enough to not jump right into removing the entire door.

I am of the opinion that the micro-switch in the latch does nothing at all- can't see how it would be depressed.

Eric