PDA

View Full Version : Weatherstrip for 2003 van

galvinize
09-02-2013, 05:17 PM
2003 Passenger Van, 150,000 miles

This year Sprinter usually allows water to enter the area under the front door step plates. I have painted the sheet metal several times, and added an extra drain-hole, but am now thinking of replacing the original front door rubber-weatherstrip, which seems to channel water to the concealed space under the step plate. Any idea where to get the weatherstrip for the front doors? The usual after-market sources do not list this item...

skill3
09-02-2013, 10:33 PM
You can get it from Berry Dodge. Nice people to work with.

fredbail
09-05-2013, 02:31 AM
I agree, if you can find a dealer who will give you a discount, the prices on that stuff is not as bad as you would think, saves on a lot of computer legwork too. The point I would like to make here is, go slow. I fooled around this summer with the area under the step again, while putting in new seats. Ended up replaicing , or pulling off, cleaning, re-installing a bunch of stuff. Again, go slow, if you are Mr. Raindrop on the floor...where do you go? I found the intersection of the w/s, the hard plastic step cover, and the hard plastic piece that covers the seat belt pillar quite a chore...again, thinking of Mr. Raindrop...wheres my red sweater? If I haden't checked myself, I was going to make matters worse. Everything does go below that step tred...that which gets past the outer edge of the door gasket, anyway...so it seams.
If you are familiar with the area, one thing I did which worked out well for me was to cut and caulk in a piece of aluminium flashing on the body under where those pipe end "feet" on the bottom of the plastic step tread grind in. I had to grind down the feet a little for a good fit, but it worked for me. no rust (at least there) the second time 'round.