PDA

View Full Version : No Start Again...new info

txag1981
02-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks to all who responded to my No Start, AGAIN. It happened again to my wife. Here is the sequence of events.
Drove this morning, no issue.
Parked at YMCA Gym and came back 1 hour later. Won't start
Remove battery cables and wait a few minutes (to clear codes as instructed by dealer)
Re-attach batter cables. It starts fine.

I don't know what codes are being set but if its like the last time, its low voltage codes. Its almost as if something is causing false low-voltage codes, thus preventing the engine to start. Removing the battery and clearing the codes allows the Sprinter to start.

What is going on here?

Thanks,
clint

sikwan
02-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Parked at YMCA Gym and came back 1 hour later. Won't start

Clint, do the dash lights come on etc. and what happens when you turn the key? Is there a sound that it makes or nothing happens when you turn the key?

Are there any aftermarket accessories added to the Sprinter that tap power from the ignition?

Lastly, the Sprinter has a system in place (which annoys me) that when you power off the engine without turning the key to the fully off position and pulling it off, it will NOT allow you to start the engine again. My best guess is that specific line is not going through its power cycle.

The best way to test this, hopefully the symptom can be duplicated, is to remove the positive terminal of the starter battery for only a second (probably less) and reattach it. If it starts for that short period of time (disconnecting the cable), it's probably that built in safety feature that is not going through a complete power off cycle.

sikwan
02-29-2008, 08:20 PM
I reread your original post here...

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2756

...did you ever get the starter checked out? If it's generating codes, it's best to get a simple code reader $50-$100 and get those codes.

abittenbinder
02-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Clint, do the dash lights come on etc. and what happens when you turn the key? Is there a sound that it makes or nothing happens when you turn the key?

Are there any aftermarket accessories added to the Sprinter that tap power from the ignition?

Lastly, the Sprinter has a system in place (which annoys me) that when you power off the engine without turning the key to the fully off position and pulling it off, it will NOT allow you to start the engine again. My best guess is that specific line is not going through its power cycle.

The best way to test this, hopefully the symptom can be duplicated, is to remove the positive terminal of the starter battery for only a second (probably less) and reattach it. If it starts for that short period of time (disconnecting the cable), it's probably that built in safety feature that is not going through a complete power off cycle.

Sikwan may be on to something here. While we have not absolutely established condition of the starter(or its solenoid) nor battery voltage during any of your failure modalities-it may be possible that starter operation is being blocked by the same "safety" system features that prevent starter operation while engine is running or engine n gear or.......

The fact that you are eventually able to start engine without charging the battery certainly suggests battery voltage is adequate for starter operation. But I would still suggest you monitor voltage with a meter to determine if any low voltage conditions actually do exist under certain conditions. Doktor A