PDA

View Full Version : sprintshift clutch hop

nathanhdunn
09-02-2013, 12:27 AM
Question for you all, I'm having problems with my sprintshift clutch and it's not something I've seen before on the forums.

It's very grabby, bunny hopping the van terribly unless I do the worlds gentlest start off while 20 cars go past in the other lane. I can start down hill easily enough, after it gets rolling, but flat or a slight uphill and it's worse than a 15yo's first time in a manual.

Star diagnostics (thanks to a friend I met on the forum) showed the clutch wear value to be so far out of range that it refused to do a clutch teach. This was about 6 months ago. At that time it was a bit harsh, but controllable if you were careful. It's been getting gradually worse since.

Gear changes are ok once you're going.

There's no slipping, not once in 10,000km, even up the steepest hills.

Van has just ticked over 340,000km.

One suspicion is that the clutch was changed before I bought it 10,000km ago. With the wrong clutch, perhaps the one out of the manual? Or perhaps the reassembly was botched and the clutch position sensor is wrong/broken? Or the clutch plate has worn past the slipping stage and is grabbing on the metal?

Has anyone seen this before? any ideas? (it's a 2004, 416, om612, 4.5T dualy)

If you're in Australia, where did you buy a replacement clutch?

mean_in_green
09-02-2013, 06:02 AM
Reads like you've answered your own question - the clutch is past it's wear limit.

The pressure plate for Sprintshifts is the same as the manual transmission (it is a manual itself after all). The release bearing is different though.

Why do you think it may have recently had a clutch fitted?

nathanhdunn
09-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Why do you think it may have recently had a clutch fitted?

Because it dosn't slip, and everyone on here complains of slipping as the sign their clutch is worn.

If there was a clutch from the manual fitted, it'd have lots of pad materiel left, and work ok, but no sensor so the computer couldn't tell where it was.... sounded good in my head, anyway...

mean_in_green
09-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Ok, I see!

Guess you've got to take the 'box off to find out what's going on, and be prepared for a new clutch kit and new release bearing followed by Gearbox and Clutch teaches. Best practice will be to do the flywheel too (existing one will be unlikely to last as long as the replacement clutch).

NORTON
09-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Hi Nathan
I had the same symptons, but got worse untill the clutch would not engage.
Removed gearbox, checked clutch and flywheel, all serviciable.
Replaced Clutch position sensor, only available with Central slave cylinder [thrust bearing] still the same
I dont think this your problem
After much searching the web found a VW page which is in T1N data base under SPRINTSHIFT GEARBOX design and function, page 45 clutch operation, page 36 actuator valve body, and elseware info on Central slave cylinder.
I replaced the Clutch actuation valve from another vehicle and cured my problem.
If you can get another STAR diagnosis and let us know if any fault codes present
The Sprintshift is a very complex unit with many components
Removing the gearbox and checking the clutch and flywheel will verify if OK
It is not a difficult task if you have tools / equipment and ability, I'm happy to supply any info that will help.
My clutch was not slipping, the hydraulic system was not letting the Central slave cylinder release and therefore preventing the pressure plate from gripping the clutch disc and allowing the drive to the gearbox.
Vanworks 08 83497446 in Adelaide are worth a try.
murray

NORTON
09-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Nathan,
When I had suspected the Clutch actuation valve and trying to confirm it, because it only happened when at operating temperature I let it idle for about 15 mins and the temp was up, slid underneath and gave a short burst of " Electronic Freezer Spray" [available from Jaycar or other electronic stores] to the valve, then tried the the take up, it was much better almost normal.
This is a simple test which may help with your diagnosis.
murray