PDA

View Full Version : Straightening Crank sensor teeth

3twilson
09-02-2013, 12:13 AM
I have a couple of teeth on the sensor ring that were bent during a repair. My question is what is the best way to straighten these teeth with it still assembled. I identified the two teeth by inserting new sensor holding it down with finger and slowly rotating the crank until I could feel the contact. removed sensor and marked tooth. I have tried to straighten by removing starter and bending tooth with small crescent. i no longer have any unwanted contact but still get the code. I must not have the spacing right between tooth and sensor. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks 2006 Dodge 3500, auto, High Roof, Cargo, 174,000 miles

3twilson
09-02-2013, 09:01 PM
UpDate: Held new sensor in place while friend turned crankshaft slowly by hand. Felt a slight contact on one tooth of tone ring. Added 4 shims .003" for total of .012 and turned crank by hand again. No contact was felt. Installed retainer bolt and connected harness. Cleared P0336 code and check engine light went out. Started van and drove it 12 miles. Van drove perfect, no codes and no check engine light. Will test more but seems promising. Hopefully this will keep me from changing the flywheel. The shims used were metal shims used to preload bearings on New Holland 4 wheel drive planetary.

Aqua Puttana
09-02-2013, 09:21 PM
There have been previous mentions of shimming the Crankshaft Sensor.

I didn't find this earlier, but here is some info on how someone else adjusted the tone ring.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=153239#post153239

Earlier in the thread there are some diagrams you might be interested in.

There have been some reports fo cracked flex plates. That may be worth exploring.

Good to hear that you're up and running. vic

3twilson
09-03-2013, 03:20 AM
Good info! Thanks Vic

3twilson
03-02-2014, 05:32 PM
I successfully straightened the 3 bent teeth on the flywheel. Disconnected battery and removed starter. Made a straightening tool by squeezing some steel tubing in a vice so it just slipped onto tooth. Made a template for tooth alignment out of a planter press wheel that would overlay 4 teeth at a time. Rotated engine by hand and checked tooth alignment. Found 3 bent up by different amounts. Slipped tool on tooth and bent slowly back in line checking with template frequently. Reinstalled starter and connected battery. Cleared code and started. Have a couple thousand miles on it now and all seems fine. Took about an hour for repair, better than changing flywheel. Thanks for everyone's help!

EZoilburner
03-02-2014, 07:33 PM
This is good info, thank You for updating the thread. May ask how it came to happen that the flywheel teeth were bent?

3twilson
03-05-2014, 01:50 AM
The same day I bought the van the balancer went out. The teeth were bent trying to lock down the crankshaft during the balancer repair. Unfortunately it was my own error. Thanks to all the good folks on here that help so many of us that are new to the Sprinter.

EZoilburner
03-06-2014, 12:25 PM
That was My fear, I have the FW lock tool and thought about this very thing happening to Me at the time to remove/install the bolt at 250 ft/lbs plus 1/4 turn.

Thanks for the update.