PDA

View Full Version : Differencial question.

statman29
08-24-2013, 03:25 PM
What tool do I need to check my differencial? Don't seem to have the right tool to open it up and check the fluid level.

Aqua Puttana
08-24-2013, 03:39 PM
What tool do I need to check my differencial? Don't seem to have the right tool to open it up and check the fluid level.
What model year do you have? My 2004 has a rubber plug.

(NCV3 people do mistakenly post to the T1N section.)

A Canned Posting Add-on

Please take the time to add your vehicle info to all your posts automatically!!!!! It's easy to do. It will help you to get answers. Thank you.

Here's how to do it.

The most direct method is probably in your "Details".
After you are logged in click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right corner.
On the left side under "Your Profile" click on "Edit your Details".
Scroll down to the "Custom User Title" box.
Click in that box and type the information.
I suggest “Vehicle year – NAFTA or 311, etc.” depending upon your location.
Scroll down to the "Save Changes" box. Click on that and you are done.

Another place is in your "Signature".
Click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right.
On the left look for "Setting and Options".
Click on "Edit Signature".
Scroll down to the text box which looks like what you use to add a post to the forum. Type in the information you want.
I used “NAFTA 2004 OM647 140 2500 Std Roof >259,000 mi. DAD”
Scroll down to "Preview Signature". If the preview looks like what you want, scroll down to "Save Signature", click on that and you're done.

I don’t know what objection anyone could have to adding their model year and Sprinter detail information permanently. (You don’t need to include your location.) Consider it this way. Members of the forum will try to help you. Do you think that it is fair for one to expect anyone to dig up your vehicle information before they reply? You only need to add the info once using the guide above and you’re done. Sorry if I'm being too straightforward for some.

Thanks. vic

jmoller99
08-24-2013, 04:24 PM
My 2002 Sprinter uses a Hex 14 mm alen key (mine is on a socket head) to open both the fill and drain holes. Later Sprinters used a rubber plug for the fill hole. In either case, you still need a 14mm hex alen head wrench to drain it with.

statman29
08-29-2013, 12:41 AM
I'm sorry I neglected to ad my sprinter info thanks for responding.

I have a 2006 sprinter 3500 dual wheels.

statman29
08-29-2013, 01:05 AM
Vic it really was an accident, I was getting my personal vehicle serviced and was in the shop using the computers provided to customers, just got in a hurry is all.. I did put in my signature though what I have.. that was an excellent idea..

statman29
08-29-2013, 01:05 AM
I don't believe mine has a rubber plug though.

nathanhdunn
08-29-2013, 04:21 AM
my 2004 4.5 Ton dualy has 2 14mm Alen key plugs, for drain and fill

Aqua Puttana
08-29-2013, 04:36 AM
Vic it really was an accident, I was getting my personal vehicle serviced and was in the shop using the computers provided to customers, just got in a hurry is all.. I did put in my signature though what I have.. that was an excellent idea..
It's not anything to apologize for.

Once the information is in your signature or details you never need to think about it again. :cheers:

My 2004 is a 2500 single rear wheel model. I do know that on mine the drain plug is tucked up in some structure so I didn't see it right away. :bash: Maybe the 3500 dual wheel differential models have a different fill plug type than the 2500? Either way, sometimes it is better to pull the cover and inspect things than it is to just pull the plug and drain the oil. vic

oregonjim
09-03-2013, 11:45 PM
I have an '06 2500 with 150,000 mi and will replace differential fluid soon. Is this just a drain and replace ar will I need a gasket too. any help appreciated.

nathanhdunn
09-03-2013, 11:54 PM
no gasket needed if you don't take the back off. You might want to put a little sealant on the drain and fill plugs though.

Aqua Puttana
09-04-2013, 01:14 AM
... any help appreciated.
In case you are as blind as I can be and don't find the drain plug... there is a picture of it in this post. NAFTA 2004 2500.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=182050#post182050

Maybe if I didn't lift my Sprinter by using a roll around floor jack under the differential I woulda see'd it quicker. :cheers: vic

oregonjim
09-04-2013, 05:24 PM
don't find capacity listed for diferential '06 2500 single in my owners manual.
how much do i need for refill?

nathanhdunn
09-04-2013, 11:36 PM
My dualy was 1.2L, I guess the single will be the same or slightly less. in short, you fill it until the oil starts to come out the fill hole :-) and that's the right level.

cahaak
09-05-2013, 03:40 AM
The capacity is around 1.6 qts - you need two qt bottles to do the refill. It is very easy. Open the top rubber cover to check the level. Drain as indicated is a 14 mm allen (or hex). Just drain it, replace the plug and fill til you can't get any more in there. Pretty simple.

Chris

lightwave
09-06-2013, 11:42 AM
I check the oil level in my differential by sticking my finger in the hole. If i feel moisture its good to go.
For the more adventurous...http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21795