PDA

View Full Version : Our new Sprinter! 2005 140WB Passenger

nifaron
08-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Hi guys!

I've been reading over the forums the past several months, and dreaming of a Sprinter the past several years... pulled the trigger on this guy yesterday!

http://www.petesgreatfalls.com/used/Dodge/2005-Dodge-Sprinter+Wagon+2500-f3de780a0a0a006401bfcec079eedb44.htm

If that link is dead, then you can also see the photos on my Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/nifaron/posts/10151979492973814?comment_id=227672360&offset=0&total_comments=9&ref=notif&notif_t=feed_comment

My brother will be driving it back this week, and it should be in my hands by Friday!

We have a big family vacation coming up in a month, so I'm going to try and get all the maintenance taken care of before then.

- Ordered turbo resonator eliminator

- Ordered K&N air filter (good idea? bad idea?)

- Ordered Mann oil filter

- Need to buy oil - 0W-40? Is SuperTech Synthetic from Wal-Mart the worst idea ever?

- Ordered Mann cabin air filter

- Need to order fuel filter - Mann has a 842/13 and 842/23 - the later being more expensive, but both are supposed to fit... help!?!?

- Plan to install new Kenwood CD player - any tips?

- Plan to install backup camera - thoughts?

- Winter: It get's really cold in Iowa... -30F at times, and this will not fit in my garage - what do I need to do make sure it's ready to go? Block heater?

Thanks all!

Aaron

Aqua Puttana
08-24-2013, 12:23 PM
A new owner. :clapping: Welcome to the cult. 54200

- Ordered turbo resonator eliminator
Some people swear by them. Unless you have a full blown RV conversion in my opinion it may not be necessary to replace the OEM style TR. That said, you spent the money so install it.

- Ordered K&N air filter (good idea? bad idea?)
The oil wetted one? From everything I've read, a bad idea.
- Ordered Mann oil filter
Mann is claimed to be an OEM supplier.

- Need to buy oil - 0W-40? Is SuperTech Synthetic from Wal-Mart the worst idea ever?
Very bad idea. You need a diesel engine oil that at least meets the appropriate diesel engine ACEA specs. Many recommend staying with the MB specification oil.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=167080#post167080

- Ordered Mann cabin air filter
Mann is claimed to be an OEM supplier.

- Need to order fuel filter - Mann has a 842/13 and 842/23 - the later being more expensive, but both are supposed to fit... help!?!?
??

- Plan to install new Kenwood CD player - any tips?
Be careful to not connect the speed sensor wire that is only needed for the OEM radio. CAN bus problems can be caused by messing with the speed signal wire.

- Plan to install backup camera - thoughts?
Nope. Except to search for what others here have done.

- Winter: It get's really cold in Iowa... -30F at times, and this will not fit in my garage - what do I need to do make sure it's ready to go? Block heater?

Thanks all!

Aaron
I would suggest that an oil pan heater is the better alternative. There are many threads about engine heaters.

Have you stumbled upon these threads?
Tips for New to Sprinter Owners
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23409

Used Sprinter Buying Tips
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5174

Good luck. vic

sailquik
08-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Welcome nifaron,
What Vic said!
K&N Filters I would change from a bad idea to a very bad idea.
Just get the Mann filter that is specified for your 2005 and you will have the best protection
available.
Just buy Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula that conforms to MB BEVO 229.5
and drive your Sprinter with the assurance that you have (arguably perhaps)
the very best oil possible.
Change it at the recommended 10K intervals and you most likely will never have any
issues that are traceable to engine oil quality.
Roger

nifaron
08-24-2013, 01:33 PM
Thanks guys!

Turbo Resonator Eliminator: For $128 I figured it was cheap insurance... sure, hopefully would never need it, but needing one in the middle of a 1000 mile road trip wouldn't be much fun either.

I've cancelled the K&N filter order - it's amazing - some folks swear by them and some folks hate them... I'll just grab a Mann.

Mobil 1 - thanks for the tip.

I also appreciate the links - I've dug thru the forum quite a bit, but haven't had a chance to read everything.

Thanks!
Aaron

sailquik
08-24-2013, 02:00 PM
nifaron,
Just ensure that whatever oil you decide to use that it meets MB BEVO 229.5.
Mobil 1 comes in many different formulations.
The one you want says European Car Formula 0W-40 right on the silver bottle, and it also has the MB 229.5 approval on the bottle.
Your 2005 OM-647 Sprinter will need 10 quarts to change the oil and filter, but DO NOT put all 10 quarts in the engine.
Put in 9 quarts, then start it up and run it for a few minutes. Shut it off and wait about 15 minutes and add the last 1/2 quart a little at a time.
It's better to have the oil level (when hot if you have the red dipstick handle) slightly below the full line than over full.
Roger

cahaak
08-26-2013, 03:00 AM
If you are going to do your own work, I would suggest that you get your filters from dieselfiltersonline.com, you can get all of the 2005 filters there (Mann) including the transmission filters. Just use the Walmart obtained mobile 1 E car formula 0W40 as it is easy to get and cheap for your 2005. For tranny service, you will need to get ATF 134, can get shell version from a distributer for low cost. I would skip the resonator elimiator and just get a Dorman as a spare. If you get up to the Twin cities, I have a DAD and can scan for you if you want.

Chris

nctrailseeker
08-26-2013, 03:20 AM
Just curious, why is a K&N filter a bad idea? I have a 2008 that has a K&N sticker on the filter housing, have not looked to see what type filter is actually in there though. Just replaced the engine, as it was bad when purchased.

autostaretx
08-26-2013, 03:34 AM
Just curious, why is a K&N filter a bad idea? I have a 2008 that has a K&N sticker on the filter housing, have not looked to see what type filter is actually in there though. Just replaced the engine, as it was bad when purchased.
... one can't help but wonder if that's demonstrating a correlation....

--dick

ECU
08-26-2013, 03:41 AM
My K&N would get dirty real quick. I would need to clean it about every 4000 miles.
I replaced it with a regular filter and my fuel mileage went up 3m/g and I had a bit more pep.
I think the K&N is a drag on the turbo charged diesel.

cahaak
08-26-2013, 02:22 PM
One other thing. You should modify you ESPAR diesel coolant heater so that it can run from a switch. Look for the "wiring the booster heater to run from a switch" thread. You will grow to greatly appreciate this in the winter.

Chris

shortshort
08-26-2013, 02:35 PM
If you really want to know why it's so bad to have a K&N, just take one out and then rub your finger inside the post-filter intake plumbing. Feel that grit? So does your engine.

nctrailseeker
08-26-2013, 02:47 PM
... one can't help but wonder if that's demonstrating a correlation....

--dick

Very possibly part of the initial problem. Bought it with the motor blown. Had what he called a "runaway diesel".
But that was caused after a turbo change which probably was caused by the K&N starting issues with the turbo.:idunno:

nctrailseeker
08-26-2013, 02:49 PM
My K&N would get dirty real quick. I would need to clean it about every 4000 miles.
I replaced it with a regular filter and my fuel mileage went up 3m/g and I had a bit more pep.
I think the K&N is a drag on the turbo charged diesel.

Think this alone is enough reason to stay with a regular filter.:thumbup:

Aqua Puttana
08-26-2013, 03:03 PM
...Had what he called a "runaway diesel".
But that was caused after a turbo change ...
There have been reports that engines which are run for a long time without turbo boost can build up free residual oil in the charge air system. Most likely it collects in the hoses and charge air cooler. When the turbo charger is brought back to operating condition then the higher flow of air to the intake can pick up the pooled oil and move it to the intake manifold. When that happens the oil feeds the engine as fuel and can cause runaway.

If the turbo failure mode (IF it was really a turbo failure and not a control issue) resulted in excess oil accumulating in the intake system then that may explain the runaway. Intended as general information, not a diagnosis. vic