PDA

View Full Version : My 2005 Sprinter is stalling while driving

landon
08-24-2013, 07:21 AM
My Sprinter is stalling on me while driving. This happened about a month ago pulling my trailer. I opened the injector lines and turned the key over then closed them. Did this several times and about after 20 to 30 min. In would restart and go another ten miles then die again As Iím rolling it will bump stall and then restart itself and keep rolling for about 2 miles then not restart. I changed the fuel filter (no water in it) last month and it was working fine until yesterday when I put the trailer back on it. I got about 10miles and it died. After about 40 min it restarted got it back home dropped the trailer and took back off went about 20 miles and went down again. I got it back home and changed the fuel pump. It started up and I was on my way got about 15 miles and died again. I also cleaned the ERG Valve. Any suggestions
Looking at forums thinking now it might be the mass air flow sensor Its a 2005 2500 2.7l 300k

MikeHowe
08-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Hi, mine (03) was doing the same thing, it was just cutting out as I was driving along. It was a bad injector, which is easily diagnosed with the leak off test (lots of useful threads on this forum on how to do this). Replaced the bad injector, and the van is now fine. Hope that helps, mike

Aqua Puttana
08-24-2013, 11:51 AM

Any suggestions
Just throwing parts at your vehicle will likely cost you money with no results.

Looking at forums thinking now it might be the mass air flow sensor Its a 2005 2500 2.7l 300k:idunno:
Lacking any traditional visual symptoms (evidence of fuel leak, damaged wires, etc.) until you get the DTC's Diagnostic Trouble Codes scanned with a Sprinter friendly scan tool you are guessing.

There are sensors that become temperature sensitive in the early stages of failure and can cause a complete engine shutdown. The MAF has not traditionally been one of those sensors. Air Mass related issues generally cause default values to be set by the computer which causes a general loss of power, not shutdown. BUT there are many things which can cause engine shutdown.

Trailer related wiring issues have also been known to cause problems for the computer(s).

You really need to get the codes scanned. Good luck. vic

Landon,
Your duplicate post in another thread has been removed. Posting the same exact question in multiple areas clutters the forum and cause discontinuity of replies. There is nothing wrong with creating a new thread specific to your problems (as you did here).vic

SullyVan
08-24-2013, 06:01 PM
+ 1 on vic's advice. Don't guess. Get the codes. 9 times out of 10 with these vehicles, it's an electrical or sensor problem.

Most diesel engines do not just shut down while running of their own accord. Most likely, the computer is deciding to shut it down for some reason.

Skidonenko
08-24-2013, 09:46 PM
Codes/monitoring while driving would be best but there are some symptoms that can be observed without access to a scanner. When it is in a failed state and you crank the engine over does the tach needle move? If not crank sensor issue(sensor or wiring) is most likely. I have had mass airflow sensors cause these to die(as well as driveability issues) but in those cases when the sensor is disconnected they would restart and run in LHM. Definitely perform the leak off test, its too cheap not to check.

Also check the harness for the common chafing points on the backside/drivers area of the engine compartment.

landon
08-25-2013, 04:45 AM
Well I held off on the MAF sensor and picked up a crank shaft sensor instead. I have not installed it yet. I drove the van hard today all around back roads near my house and nothing happened I guess that’s good. After cleaning the ERG and changing the fuel pump its running like a champ. Aqua I have not seen any chafing on wires no leaks no intermediate power issues. If the truck just stalled and restarted I could deal but it just leaves me on the side of the road for 30 to 45 min and after repeated try’s it will ether start or just run down the battery. Does anyone know of a breaker or something that would reset after time and then allow the truck to reset and restart? I had advanced auto hear in Orlando read the codes but there unit was coming up with an error they used a more advanced Actron scan tool. I have a base model the CP9125 and it originally gave me 10 codes when I first got home originally they were P0403 ERG flow circuit, P0336 crank shaft position ckt range sensor, p0030 bank 1 sen ho2, p0098 air temp. The rest were for glow plugs 1, 2, 4 which were all changed about 6 months ago and my stalling usually starts about 30 miles from home. As for air temp it has been in the mid 90’s. After resetting and running the van all that’s coming up is the bank 1 sensor ho2. So I figured it might be the crank shaft sensor do to the original code and no stall no code from what I have found a bad crank sensor can cause stalling. I’m just not sure why it won’t immediately restart.

Aqua Puttana
08-25-2013, 05:02 AM
... So I figured it might be the crank shaft sensor do to the original code and no stall no code from what I have found a bad crank sensor can cause stalling.

I’m just not sure why it won’t immediately restart.
The sensor takes a while to cool down? :idunno:

You had a Crankshaft sensor code. A failing CPS (aka CKP crank sensor) has had some history on the forum of being temperature sensitive.

You saw a crankshaft code. You have the sensor. Why would you not install it? vic

landon
08-25-2013, 05:47 AM
I just picked it up this evening was wanting to see if it would stall and throw a code after clearing them. I'm going to change it in the morning thinking of changing the cam shaft sensor and doing the Injector leak test. Allot of what i read this evening said stalling could be one of the three. I don't mind buying the sensors just need to get back to work.

landon
08-25-2013, 07:20 PM
were is the crank sensor located on the 05 2.7 been looking for an hour

CJPJ
08-25-2013, 08:31 PM
let me search the blue bar for you. all here...http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=144117#post144117

landon
08-25-2013, 11:42 PM
Is the Cam shaft sensor and the crank shaft sensor the same thing. After the hard run yesterday I figured I would try it again before monday I got 10 miles and it shut down I waited 1.5 hours it cooled down and started. drove back home and it shut down about 2 blocks from the house. If the sensors are the same I will get it done this evening from every thing I was reading said it was on the bell housing. I found the CAM sensor quickly after pulling the cover off but the cable looks like it goes into the harness and the one I got the lead is only about 6in long. Im at a loss right now and dont know of a good shop here in Orlando Fl.

landon
08-25-2013, 11:46 PM
let me search the blue bar for you. all here...http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=144117#post144117

I found the cam sensor easy but need the crank sensor:idunno:

Aqua Puttana
08-25-2013, 11:50 PM
They are not the same. Check the link again.

The Camshaft Sensor is at the top of the engine under the plastic cover.

The Crankshaft Sensor is lower down near the flywheel. vic

Edit: Did the Crankshaft DTC's return after the last epsisodes? Did you notice if the tachometer was responding during the crank no start?

landon
08-26-2013, 12:57 AM
Ok I found another post by Aqua Puttana /Vic back in 2011 which showed page 58 and where the Crank Sensor is. I spent an hour under my van today looking for that dame thing and could not find it I was looking in the right area. Now that I know were it is I still cant see it or get to it. However after resetting the codes and driving it till it stalled again it put out P0336 crank shaft sensor. So it must be heating up and failing then cools down after awhile and allows a restart. Im going to take it to a buddy with a lift. Im keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for all the reply Vic You have been a great sound board.

landon
09-02-2013, 02:52 AM
Well I've put around 300 miles on it now and all is well in sprinter land. No more stalling
and its running good. It was the Crank Shaft Sensor.Thanks for all the help.