LHM after dead battery

Anatorian

2003 with 170k had a dead battery after sitting a month. Jumped it fine and took to body shop to get a new bumper. Battery dies again and apparently they also had to jump it and now we are stuck in 2nd gear / reverse.

Any ideas?

Anatorian

Also before we purchased the van 3 years ago there was apparently a battery drain and limp mode, at which time the shift solenoid was replaced and this fixed the problem.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
A really weak battery may be causing the ECM to go into limp mode because it doesn't trust the signals it's getting from all of the sensors.
You may have a shorted cell, or any number of other causes.

Replace the battery, go through at least four engine run/off/pull key/put key back in/start engine cycles to clear temporary codes.
Then check that the alternator is really putting out, and that the various Sprinter relays (glow plug, especially) aren't stuck "ON"

--dick

2003 with 170k...
and now we are stuck in 2nd gear / reverse.

Any ideas?
From what has been posted on the forum a dead battery doesn't have any real history of putting a Sprinter into severe 2nd and reverse gear LHM.

You may have other problems. You really need to get the codes read with Sprinter friendly scanner.

Did any wiring harnesses get damaged during any of the work? Check the TCM connector under the seat for signs of transmission fluid having wicked up to the connector. A wet connector can affect the CAN bus signals which effect may have been exaggerated by the battery going dead.

The unfortunate truth is that you will likely need a Sprinter friendly scan tool to clear the TCM codes and get you out of transmission LHM. A generic scan tool can clear the transmission related companion codes found in the ECM, but not the TCM codes to return normal operation. Maybe your case is different?

Information, not a diagnosis. vic

Last edited:

altide8

From what has been posted on the forum a dead battery doesn't have any real history of putting a Sprinter into severe 2nd and reverse gear LHM.

You may have other problems. You really need to get the codes read with Sprinter friendly scanner.

Did any wiring harnesses get damaged during any of the work? Check the TCM connector under the seat for signs of transmission fluid having wicked up to the connector. A wet connector can affect the CAN bus signals which effect may have been exaggerated by the battery going dead.

The unfortunate truth is that you will likely need a Sprinter friendly scan tool to clear the TCM codes and get you out of transmission LHM. A generic scan tool can clear the transmission related companion codes found in the ECM, but not the TCM codes to return normal operation. Maybe your case is different?

Information, not a diagnosis. vic
Vic do you know if the icarsoft mbii or the autel ap200 can clear the TCM codes? I’m having a very similar issue. Can’t figure out what’s going on. I replaced the alternator and battery.

TCM is dry. No signs or damage on the wires from the trans to the TCM. I did see minimal signs of fluid on the transmission plug. This was not new though. Before now I’ve had no transmission issues.
last I checked I was getting codes:

2211-1
260f
B1040
I tried to clear them. No dice.

Top Bottom