What brand or brands of fuel do you try to use?

On one of our first trips in our new 2012 Sprinter, with only about 3K miles on the odo, the EGR got fouled up to the point of needing to be replaced.

Up until that point, I wasn't picky at all about where I stopped to get fuel. It may be that I filled her up with something totally crappy somewhere, sometime, and maybe even on more than one occasion. I dunno. I may have been putting too much trust into the quality of the fuels? From a a bit of research, it seems that biodiesel blends are a likely culprit w.r.t EGR issues in DPF systems.

So, after the EGR was replaced, I decided to find a single brand of fuel and stick with it. I reasoned that places that were really aiming to provide low-cost fuel might not be selling the best stuff; not that paying more means you get something better. I also reasoned that if I could control one of the main variables (what brand of diesel I was using), I could get a better idea if EGR issues were in some way exascerbated by the diesel itself.

So, I picked Shell. But I'd like to open up my options, based on other's opinions.

If you put your trust in any particular brand or brands of fuel, what are you choosing?

icarus

I'm not sure it makes a whole hill of beans worth of difference. In fact, many branded fuels come from the same refinery depot. Maybe they add additives, maybe not. IMHO the most important element is finding a place that goes through a bit of fuel so that it is fres, changes it's filters regularly etc. I have had zero problems with fuel over 60k miles, touch wood. Your EGR issues might just be a warrantee issue.

Icarus

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
If Cetane level matters to you :

***Cetane levels by fuel company, from Corporate office emails. Please bear in mind that the current minimum from refiners in North America is 40. Depending on the quality of the oil used as well as refining processes you'll find 40-42 from refiners in the US and Canada. Anything above that has to do with specific companies additive packages. When companies give a minimum value then it will be listed as a single number. When a company gives a range of numbers bear in mind that more often than not you'll probably find the lower number rather than the higher number. If 40 is listed then it generally means that fuel is bought as is from the refiner--if someone messes up and doesn't put in enough additive at the refinery then that can cause major problems for your fuel system. It's recommended therefore that if you get the inexpensive fuel with low cetane you use a cetane booster (PowerService, Lubromoly Cetane booster or Stanadyne are all great choices), or run a little biodiesel in the tank. If something higher than 42 is listed then the retailer adds their own additive package in addition to the standard refinery additive package.
Generally speaking as long as 49 or higher is listed you do not need to worry about adding any additives yourself.

BP (Amoco branded), 51;
Countrymark fuels Diesel-R, 50
Chevron, 49; or 51 with Techron D labels in select markets
ConocoPhillips through the 76 stations (California) 47-53
PetroCanada, 47-51
BP (Powerblend 47, otherwise 40-42)
Shell, 46;
Sinclair, 46;
Sunoco Gold, 45 (often +1-5) Sunoco regular is usually 40.
Exxon/Mobile, 43-46
Holiday Stations, 40-43
HESS, 40-42, can be up to 45.
Husky, 40 + diesel Max additives raise another 1-3 from there (41-45 max)
Love's: 40
Pilot: 40
Valero: 40
Sheetz: 40
Flying J, 40
Wawa, 40

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
BLUF... Shell Diesel as much as possible. Formulated to reduce soot.... So they say.....

IMHO...Early sooting and EGR problem is probably not related to bad fuel. More likely electro mechanical issue; wrong spec oil; operational issue..prolonged idling, or bad luck.

Sail Quick advocates keeping RPM up when driving. Probably not a bad idea to wind it up on occasion to get the EGR/swirl valves to operate at their full range.

Having had an O2 sensor fail and needing a forced regen on the DEF on our van, I've taken to getting on it once in awhile after it is fully warmed up. E.G. Getting on the interstate. Running it in third around town once in awhile for a short distance to put heat up the exhaust. Also, since it doesn't have a cold start high idle, I light it off and hold the RPM about 1300 for a few minutes to start generating some heat and maybe help seal up the piston rings to reduce soot and blow by. Might not do anything....but it makes me feel good!

I've gone a year and maybe 1000+ miles on the new O2 sensor. I have never heard, felt, smelled or sensed a regen. Sometimes I wonder if that is even working!

I don't think fuel is the issue... Considering how much you put through it, you would have to have many tanks of duff fuel to load up the EGR. More likely mechanical or wrong oil.....

seans

BP (Amoco branded), 51;
Countrymark fuels Diesel-R, 50
Chevron, 49; or 51 with Techron D labels in select markets
Thanks so much for collecting this!

I have been unable to find any diesel in my area where the pump lists the cetane rating greater than 40, save for two Shell stations that offer "premium diesel" (IIRC.) I would switch to Amoco or Chevron in a second if I knew I was really getting 49-51 cetane diesel. What specifically did the corporate emails say for these brands?

david_42

Mostly I buy from Fred Meyers (my wife works there and we get deals), but I believe they get their fuel from Shell. Long trips, I just fill up with whatever is there when we decide to stop for lunch/dinner, etc. Of course, the T1N has a less picky engine.

sailquik

david42,
In what way is the T1N "less picky" about fuel than the NCV3 V6.
With the V6's, I try to avoid anything with "bio" in the label, but on occasion in the
Corn states, you have no choice.
Never had any issues with any fuel in any Sprinter. (1 '06 OM-647...3 OM-642 V6's)
But, I agree, the premium fuel or anything with the higher cetane rating makes the Sprinter
run noticeably better.
Roger

I think that going by some threads here about alternate fuel conversions and T1N/NCV3 maybe the T1N's are a bit "less picky" about fuel. I have no data.

As to better fuel making my T1N better? Again, no data because I've never paid the premium.

It's tough to really assess what is relevant when in most cases we are dealing with individual vehicles and opinions as opposed to a number of vehicles in a controlled study.

That said, I'm not saying that personal experience isn't worth applying for many things.

vic

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Of course, the T1N has a less picky engine.
In what way is the T1N "less picky" about fuel than the NCV3 V6.
Roger
for one; ... driving around Mexico and fueling the "less picky" T1N with (Low Sulfur Diesel 500 ppm) a fuel that would in short time poison a NVC3 emission control systems that requires ULSD (15 ppm) .

Chile[edit source]

Chile requires <15-ppm[17] in Santiago, for diesel since 2011, and the rest of the country requires <50-ppm.[18]

Argentina[edit source]

In Argentina there are 2 classes of diesel fuel, one with 40 PPM sold by YPF, ESSO, PETROBRAS, etc. and another variant of diesel with 500 PPM sold by the same firms. SHELL has a Premium Product called V-POWER DIESEL with 10 PPM of sulphur.-

Brazil[edit source]

Since January 2012, Brazilian service stations started offering two types of Diesel, 50 ppm and 500 ppm on most areas and 1800 ppm in remote areas. Since January 2013 The 10 ppm or EURO V Diesel replaced the 50 ppm Diesel, which is now widely used and can be found in the majority of service stations, and the 1800 ppm was discontinued. All vehicles produced or sold in Brazil since January 2012 must be able to use only 50 ppm or lower sulfur Diesel. Also, all Diesel available for purchase in Brazil contains 5% of Biodiesel. .[19]

Uruguay[edit source]

Uruguay is expected to impose a 50-ppm ULSD limit by 2009. 70% of the fuel used in Uruguay is diesel.[citation needed]

Colombia[edit source]

Since January 1st 2013, Colombia's diesel has <50 PPM for public and private transport.[20]

Asia[edit source]

China[edit source]

(Mainland) China has limited sulfur in diesel fuel to 150 ppm, equivalent to the Euro III standard with limits of 10 ppm applied for certain cities such as Beijing.[21]

From 2014 to 2017, China will limit sulfur in diesel fuel to 50ppm. Since 2017, the sulfur content in diesel fuel will be limited to 10ppm. [22]

India[edit source]

Delhi first introduced 50 ppm sulfur diesel on April 1, 2010 as a step aimed at curbing vehicular pollution in the capital. This was simultaneously done in 12 other cities at the time. The sulphur content in the diesel being used previously was 350 ppm.[23]

There are two types of Diesel available in India from year 2010. Bharat Stage IV (equivalent to Euro IV) specification having Sulfur level below 50 ppm is available in Delhi&NCR,Mumabi,Kolakata,Chennai,Bengaluru,Pune,Kanpur,Agra,Surat,Hyderabad,Ahemadabad,Sholapur and Lucknow. Fuel with less than 350 ppm Sulfur is available in rest of India.

Hong Kong[edit source]

In July 2000, Hong Kong became the first city in Asia to introduce ULSD, with sulfur content of 50 parts per million (ppm). In addition, new petrol private cars were asked to meet Euro III standards from 2001.

Since the introduction of the law, all fuel station started supplying ULSD since August 2000.

Sulfur content of regular diesel fuel was lowered from 500 ppm to 350 ppm on 1 January 2001.

As part of the ULSD package, Hong Kong government lowered the tax for ULSD from HK$2.89 to $2.00 per litre in June 1998. The temporary concession was subsequently extended to 31 March 2000, then to 31 December 2000.

On 19 June 2000, under Report of the Subcommittee on resolution under section 4(2) of the Dutiable Commodities Ordinance (Cap. 109), ULSD fuel tax was lowered to HK$1.11 per litre between 7 July 2000 and 31 December 2000, then increased to $2 in 2001, then $2.89 per litre on 1 January 2002. This resolution was passed on 27 June 2000.

Under LC Paper No. LS 37/00-01, which passed in 20 December 2000, the $1.11 per litre tax rate was extended to 30 June 2001.

Under LC Paper No. LS 115/00-01, which passed in 20 June 2001, the $1.11 per litre tax rate was extended to 31 March 2002, then the tax would be raised to $2.89 per litre afterwards.

Under LC Paper No. LS 67/01-02, which passed in 13 March 2002, the $1.11 per litre tax rate was extended to 31 March 2003.

Under LC Paper No. LS 76/02-03, which passed in 19 March 2003, the $1.11 per litre tax rate was extended to 31 March 2004.

Under LC Paper No. LS 59/03-04, which passed in 24 March 2004, the $1.11 per litre tax rate was extended to 31 December 2004.

Singapore[edit source]

The National Environment Agency (NEA) defines ultra low sulfur diesel (ULSD) as diesel fuel with less than 50ppm, or 0.005 per cent, sulfur content.

On June 16, 2005, NEA announced that the use of ULSD would be mandatory beginning December 1, 2005. The regulation also offered tax incentives for Euro IV diesel taxis, buses and commercial vehicles between June 1, 2004 and September 3, 2006, pending a mandatory conversion to Euro IV-compliant vehicles in 2007.

Taiwan[edit source]

Beginning in 2007, Taiwan has limited sulfur in diesel fuel to 50 ppm, equivalent to the Euro IV standard.[19]

Oceania[edit source]

Australia[edit source]

Australia has had a limit of 10 ppm since January 1, 2009.[24] The limit was previously 50 ppm.

New Zealand[edit source]

New Zealand has had a limit of 10 ppm since January 1, 2009.[25] Prior to that, the limit was 50 ppm.

Russia / CIS / Former Soviet Union[edit source]

As of 2002, much of the former Soviet Union still applies limits on sulfur in diesel fuel substantially higher than in Western Europe. Maximum levels of 2,000 and 5,000 ppm are applied for different uses. In Russia, lower maximum levels of 350 ppm and 500 ppm sulfur in automotive fuel are enforced in certain areas, particularly in regions. Euro IV and Euro V fuel with a concentration of 50 ppm or less is available at certain fueling stations, at least in part to comply with emissions control equipment on foreign-manufactured cars and trucks, number of which is increased every year, especially in big cities, such as Moscow and St.Petersburg. Accordingly to the current technical regulation, selling a fuel with sulfur content >50 ppm is allowed until 31 December 2011. Euro IV diesel may in particular

From Wikipedia: Ultra-low-sulfur diesel

Last edited:

thlevy48

I try to run primarily Shell diesel. I seem to get 2-3 mpg better than other brands. When fueling in California, I will get 18-19 mpg with Shell and around 16 mpg on other brands. I always try to fill my tank before leaving Oregon as I typically get 20-21 mpg. I try to keep the tach at 2400 rpm (63 mph) because this appears to be the best for mileage. The best mileage that i can get seems to come from the Klamath Falls, OR Pilot (Elev. 4000' +) but everything is downhill from there.:cheers:

Top Bottom