Sprinter 519cdi - too high temperature ?

adasm

Hello,

I have a problem - my sprinter 519cdi has a temperature display and sometimes the temperature rises to 110 degrees !!!

It is a normal?

Anybody have similar problem?

this is photo:

Last edited:

sailquik

adasm,
Can you post your photo of the temp gauge again please. The link does not seem to work.
110 deg. C would be 230 deg F.
That's very hot, and the engine driven viscous clutch fan should be turning hard to bring that
back down, but sitting in traffic, my 2012 OM-642 V6 sometimes gets almost that hot.
Overheating, per my owners manual, is 250 deg. F (121 deg C.)
At that point (121 deg. C) you are supposed to stop driving and let the engine cool down (best to keep it running/moving with a light load if possible so air is being pushed/pulled through the radiator.
If it occasionally gets that hot, when pulling up a grade or sitting in traffic, it may be OK.
If it runs that hot most of the time traveling normal speeds of flat roads, something is not right.
What coolant are you using?
Does is meet the MB Bevo list for Sprinter Coolant? Check your owners manual for the correct specification.
Roger

adasm

The high temperature (110) is when:

- is hot outside and going up the hill
- sometimes in the city, traffic lights etc
- I hear the DPF burns

It is not always, but for me this temperature is still to high.

Most of the time it is 90 degrees celsius.
All of my friends have Sprinter 519cdi V6 but without computer and multifunction steering wheel.
So they can`t check the temperature for comparison.

sailquik

adasm,
I use a Scan Guage II so I can see the temperature go up or down by the degree in digital numbers, so when I see anything higher that 212 deg. F I watch it very closely.
It sometimes creeps up slowly (sitting in traffic where I cannot get moving but must constantly accelerate and stop, accelerate and stop) to over 220 deg. F, but as soon as I can get moving, it drops back to it's normal 191 deg. F - 193 deg. F (88.3 deg. C - 89.4 deg. C) so very similar to your normal of 90 deg. C ( 194 deg. F).
If it does not go any higher than 110 deg. C I think your Sprinter is doing pretty much what they all do.
Sometimes, in traffic, I will shift to neutral and put my foot on the pedal a bit to bring the RPM up to 1000-1200 (680 is normal idle) and sometimes this brings the temperature back down some...sometimes it does not.
As long as it does not go higher that 240 deg. F (115.5 deg. C) and stay there, I think it will be OK.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

Top Bottom