PDA

View Full Version : keep it? lose it?

Tom9054
08-22-2013, 01:01 AM
So, new to the Sprinter world and I'm down to 8,000 questions.

When I first looked at the ad for this van, the extra fuel tank sounded pretty nice. Now that the van is in my driveway, I wonder.... 55 gals. of fuel is pretty heavy and would make for some nasty shower water I'm sure.
At the least I want to move it backwards so I can get a couple more seats in behind the driver/passenger.
So, I thought I'd bring it to the forum, anyone EVER have the need for an extra 55 gallons of fuel?
Oh ya, it does have a diesel generator also, which I have yet to change the oil in...

Inquiring minds wanna know. :thinking:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9zpqLALaO3-RmtDTFhQWG5ESDQ/edit?usp=sharing

thanks
Tom

sailquik
08-22-2013, 01:12 AM
Tom,
Is that big aluminum tank under your sink a diesel fuel tank?
I can see why you would want to move it. It sits right over the factory fuel tank and
since diesel fuel weighs ~7.2 lbs. per gallon you now have 26 gallons + 55 gallons=81 gallons x 7.2= 583.2 lbs. right behind the drivers seat.
And no partition to protect you in a frontal crash when the air bag slams you into your drivers seat and the 55 gal x 7.2 lb.=396 lb. fuel tank hits you in the back.
So, one would have to wonder if its in any way legal to have a 55 gallon tank (is it vented inside or outside) in the interior of your Sprinter van.
Even if it were completely legal, it's probably not a good idea.
What the heck would you ever need 81 gallons of diesel for.....to go off road camping in a wilderness for about 6-8 months?
Yes, do consider moving it further back in the van and probably to the other side of your van and under the floor where fuel tanks belong, and there maybe some space for it to fit.
Or, as you suggest, maybe have the top taken off and make half of it into a fresh water tank and the other half your grey water tank, adding the appropriate plumbing connections to the top of the tank before welding it back on.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Graphite Dave
08-22-2013, 02:40 AM
Does not look like a 55 gallon tank. Measure tank to confirm its capacity.

pfflyer
08-22-2013, 03:05 AM
I was thinking 20-25 gallon at the most

icarus
08-22-2013, 03:09 AM
My guess is it is probably close to 50 gallons. Looking at it just guessing, it is 3' long, 2' deep, 1.5' tall, making 9 cubic feet, or 67 us gallons, so 55 is not out of the question. I wouldn't wish to travel with that much fuel INSIDE the van however. I would use it for water or grey water.

Icarus

pfflyer
08-22-2013, 03:28 AM
Looks can be deceiving but I think Icarus is right assuming that is a standard roll of paper towels on the wall at 11" wide. How do you fill it? Inside doesn't look as though dirty fuel hose was dragged on the floor not to mention fuel drips getting it in and out.

Tom9054
08-22-2013, 12:18 PM
I started to measure it last nite, that's when I noticed a factory sticker on it. It was getting dark, so all "i think" I noticed was the 55 gal cap line. Can't name the company right off.
There is a 3/4" air/vent line to the drivers side and that is where I fill it also.
The ol' boy used it as a pilot car plus lived in it. Guess he needed the fuel to keep up?

He knew he was dying and he left me a couple hand written messages. He said to stop and turn on the valve with the engine off, key on and watch the gauge so to know when the main tank was full. Welp, in my infinate wisdom I thought I was smarter than that. As the son-in-law was driving I reached over and turned the valve on. Sprinters computer just could not relate and the gauge stayed the same, so I dumped in more....Got to Fargo and main tank only took 3/4 gallon YIKES, I have no idea how much fuel we dumped on I-29.
Now I fill it only when stopped.

Like ya'll need to see one more Arctic white Sprinter, have a few more pics here..
Thanks for the feedback!
Tom

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9zpqLALaO3-R2NUUVRmdTdKcWs&usp=sharing

Old Crows
08-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Welcome Tom!

Definitely... Consider moving the tank aft. I doubt if you need that much fuel any way.... Extra weight = more fuel consumption. Unless you use it for waste water, I think it would make some pretty grungy, stinky, non potable water since its aluminum and has held diesel. Ick!

Camping World sells a flexible bag water carrier... A "blivit" ... About 40 gallons. They are also made for boats in odd sizes by Vetus? Vetus blivits come with regular fittings and because the are in odd shapes you might be able to fit one in where a hard tank won't fit.

sailquik
08-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Hi Tom,
I vote for moving that tank to the opposite side of the van and underneath the floor (if the gen set isn't already using that space.
Kinda scary to see not only the aux. fuel tank, but an open battery right behind your drivers seat.
Diesel is kinda hard to light on fire in a traffic accident, but 55 gallons of fuel and an open 12 volt battery getting stuffed into/under the drivers seat could easily get something going.
Is that the "house" battery that the inverter at the back of the van runs off?
Get it secured and into a box please.
We've just met you and would like to keep you and your nice little Sprinter around for a while.
Where did he stash the gen set?
Roger

Aqua Puttana
08-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Depending upon how it is piped into the tank moving it may not be a simple task. :idunno:

vic

sailquik
08-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Old Crows,
Pour all the diesel out of the tank, fill it many times with water to work all the diesel remnants off the aluminum tank skin, wash a few times with a strong detergent, then cut the top off the tank, weld in a vertical in middle or near the middle, put a Blivit tank in one side for potable water, use the other side for grey/black water.
Move the tank below the floor and to the opposite side of the van if possible.
I begin to see a little logic to the original owner putting the tank where is it. No need for a transfer pump.
Gravity would drain the Aux. tank right down into the OEM plastic tank.
But that's the only logic I'll give the guy. A big open battery and an almost 400 lb. tank of diesel, just behind the drivers seat, with no partition, is just plain scary.
Roger