PDA

View Full Version : Help w/locating coolant engine drain

hmthomas1
08-21-2013, 01:19 AM
I'm trying to change the coolant in my 05 Sprinter and have found attached picture that shows the engine block drain as #2. I can't locate this on my sprinter. I've taken off the heat shield on the passenger's side and don't see it. I looked on the driver's side with no luck. Can someone help by stating fore example;

driver's side, back about xx inches from ... bottom/top/middle of block.

I did find a 17mm plug someone mentioned half way back on driver's side below fuel filter with no nipple that might be a drain plug. Any help appreciated!

Aqua Puttana
08-21-2013, 02:05 AM
There is a drain on the NAFTA driver side of the radiator. It helps to remove the grill and headlamp pod for access. I'm thinkin' it may be easier to just drop off a radiator hose. The drain can be a pain.

3rd picture down in the first post here gives some info. vic

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6228

shortshort
08-21-2013, 05:19 AM
If you're getting close to 150k and still on the original water pump, you might consider swapping it at the same time.

cahaak
08-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Take out the headlight and install a piece of tubing on the outlet nipple from the radiator and thread it down to the ground for a drain. Open the valve (which was red on my radiator). Fluid will drain down your hose into your container. It opens with just a twist. Once you are done, stuff the hose back up into the frame area out of harms way. When you need to do it again, just fish the hose out and open it again. If you take out the driver side headlight, you will see all of this.

Chris

hmthomas1
08-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the info on the radiator drain. That one I found with no problem. It's the engine block drain I'm having a problem locating. Did you folks only drain the radiator and then refill? btw, I have 104,000 on the 05 Sprinter. Perhaps draining & refilling the radiator every 100,000 miles is enough?

shortshort
08-22-2013, 06:45 AM
After you drain the radiator, refill with distilled water, run it (with the cap off, topping up the reservoir as you go) till the thermostat opens, and drain it again. Do that until you get clear water out of the radiator. Then pour in half the system's capacity in undiluted coolant and top it off with distilled water. Carry a gallon of water and be prepared to top off the reservoir after a few miles. Squeezing the upper radiator hose like 14 year old helps to bleed the system during refills.

Aqua Puttana
08-22-2013, 01:22 PM
... It's the engine block drain I'm having a problem locating. Did you folks only drain the radiator and then refill? ...
When I changed my water pump I believe that the engine block pretty much emptied when I pulled the hoses. If the coolant is contaminated or really old Shortshort's method works well.

Do a search using engine block heater or similar. There are some threads about removing a plug to add the heater. The plug can be very stubborn and because of that it can turn into an ugly job.

vic

shortshort
08-22-2013, 03:30 PM
To avoid sounding really anal I didn't mention cycling the cabin heater and coolant pre-heaters during the process to flush those systems.

hmthomas1
08-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions. After looking at my alternatives, I'm going to simply drain the radiator and refill and do this again after 2 years or 50,000 miles. Therefore, installing the hose to make the job easier is a no brainer. Thanks again.

barkor
09-05-2014, 12:01 AM
Is there a second coolant drain plug on the engine? Other than the one on the lower left (drivers left) side of the radiator? The manual says there is, but I cannot locate it.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/05/ra9usupu.jpg

barkor
09-05-2014, 01:00 AM
Sorry, redundant thread:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28301