View Full Version : Torque Converter Drain Plug O-Ring

08-20-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm about to drain my transmission/torque converter, and realized that I don't have a replacement for the torque converter o-ring. Part #05080014AA. The local dealership can't get it for at least a week. Is this something I could just match at Home Depot, or should I wait for the dealership? I hate to pay $25 to express mail a $2 part from somewhere that has it in stock. Any suggestions?

08-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Just reuse the old one. I've drained my TC twice and reused the old one and it is just fine.


08-20-2013, 03:08 PM
I thought the recommendation was not to reuse. Though I believe it could work just fine. Have others had luck reusing the o-ring?

08-20-2013, 03:39 PM
I just put that part number into Google and got a full page of responses from all kinds of Chrysler/Dodge/MOPAR outlets.
A little searching through them may locate one very close to you. Some of them offer free shipping, but probably on an
0'ring, but they could put it in an envelope and express mail it to you.
Your local auto parts store may be able to cross reference the Dodge part Number to something they have in stock.
Did you try your local authorized Mercedes Benz dealers parts counter.
The same torque converter as the Sprinter's torque converter is used in many other vehicles.
Someone on here may have the MB Part number for you. The part number you have #05080014AA
is definitely Dodge/MOPAR.
Also check your local Freightliner dealer. They may have the part under a different number as well and
can simply provide you an O'ring for the torque converter plug for a specific year model Freightliner Sprinter.
They are all the same torque converter!

08-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Reused mine. 60k later no issues.

08-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks Roger,

I did the same as you. I haven't actually contacted the online sellers, but with the cost/time of shipping it is probably easier to get it from my local Dodge dealer. I'm in central NY state, and there aren't any other dealers a reasonable distance from me. I tried all three local auto parts stores and none of them could cross reference the part.

It isn't really a big deal, I can put off the transmission service until next week. I'll just get the Dodge dealer to order one.

08-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Is this some kind of custom size o-ring? Finding the correct metric o-ring at any hardware or autoparts store would not work?

08-21-2013, 02:29 AM
Is this some kind of custom size o-ring? Finding the correct metric o-ring at any hardware or autoparts store would not work?

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. But I didn't want to pop out the old o-ring, find that it was not reusable, and that it was hard to find a replacement, and that getting a custom mopar part would take 10 days. I'd rather have the new one before I drain the torque converter.

Like I said, no big deal. I'll just wait until I have one in hand before I do the transmission service. If I ever do get specs on the o-ring, or a hardware store replacement, I'll post it here so others can get a replacement easily.

08-21-2013, 03:46 AM
Order from Europarts San Diego. They are great people. The cost is about $.20.

08-21-2013, 05:14 AM
If you're ordering parts, I'd be more inclined to have a spare set of drain bolts handy. They can get damaged coming out.