PDA

View Full Version : tire advice

tvennetti
08-18-2013, 10:13 PM
I am going to replace the Cooper tires that are on my 05 2500 sprinter.I am a expediter so I want a tire that's good in snow and normal highway conditions.I am considering the Michelin LTX. Anyone have experience with these or any advice?

surlyoldbill
08-18-2013, 11:12 PM
There are a lot of tire threads, you might want to use the search feature on the blue bar.
Most people will tell you to get the stock LTX tires, but other people have nad better luck with different brands. You can't go wrong with the LTX, though.

vanven
08-19-2013, 01:32 AM
There are a lot of tire threads, you might want to use the search feature on the blue bar.
Most people will tell you to get the stock LTX tires, but other people have nad better luck with different brands. You can't go wrong with the LTX, though.

Can you get the LTX with the correct load rating?

surlyoldbill
08-19-2013, 04:50 AM
Can you get the LTX with the correct load rating?

I think they are the stock tires for the 2500, so yes. 10 ply, load rating E.

JAM
08-19-2013, 02:44 PM
+1 on the Michelins ltx. That is the only brand I use for my trucks. They wear great if you keep them rotated every 6000 miles and do awesome in the rain and snow. A bit pricey but well worth it.

surlyoldbill
08-19-2013, 04:04 PM
Just to flog a dead horse, I'll repeat my tire experience.
The stock LTXs needed to be replaced around 50-60k, completely bald (previous owner had never rotated them in the first 20k). I bought Toyo HT e-rated tires and had them siped. They lasted about 100k and would have gone more if not for an alignment issue wearing the outer edge of one front tire too much. I now have Firestone Transforce because I got them free, and they are about half worn out at 35k. I will be purchasing Toyo again, and having them siped again.
The plus side of the LTX is that you can get them at Costco, and have them serviced all across the country. The Toyo tires may be special order, I bought mine at a Les Schwab in Oregon where they were in stock, and it was snow country so they had a siping machine.
In my opinion, a highway tread pattern is better suited than an all-terrain or mud+snow pattern. I do a LOT of dirt road and jeep trail driving for a Sprinter owner, and I still do 98% of my miles on pavement. The AT and MS patterns are loud and give you less mpg.

cahaak
08-19-2013, 08:34 PM
If you like Cooper, the HT is a very good highway tire and decent enough in the snow. I have them on my van, but only about 10K miles on them. They are doing very well so far and drive nice and quiet and so on, just got back from a 3K trip pulling the pop up camper out to Colorado and back. They can be had for about $129 each online. Price would vary by shop. I think they are 65K tires, but my last set of Cooper ATR (newer is the AT3) was a 55K tire and I got 73K out of them.

Chris

riskydnb
08-20-2013, 04:42 AM
I have about 100 Michelin LTX MS LT225 75 16 tires in stock cheaper than anyone online. I am the top seller for this tire on ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/110877101730?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 I would give you a better deal than $205 since your from the sprinter forum. Call or text Randy @ 760-622-0148 if interested.

david_42
08-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Yet another ditto for LTX. My van came with LTX A/S and I put a set of LTX M/S on about two years ago.

+drive
08-20-2013, 11:41 PM
I have +35K on the LTX M/S2. They are also not cheap, but I am pleased with the lack of wear and the solid traction.

General Disarray
08-22-2013, 06:31 AM
I buy whatever is available on Craigslist. Just got a set of LTX with about 80% life left; talked him down from $400 to $300 ($75 each). I bought a set of new tires once; cost $200+ per tire plus tax and mounting was over $900. I'm very happy paying 1/3 retail on Craigslist no matter what the brand.

surlyoldbill
08-22-2013, 03:57 PM
I buy whatever is available on Craigslist. Just got a set of LTX with about 80% life left; talked him down from $400 to $300 ($75 each). I bought a set of new tires once; cost $200+ per tire plus tax and mounting was over $900. I'm very happy paying 1/3 retail on Craigslist no matter what the brand.

If you're patient and can sit on the money, good deals always come along. For Sprinter tires, the ideal situation is a person who just bought a used Sprinter and wants to "urbanize" it by putting on aftermarket rims and low profile tires. They will take anything they can get for the stock wheels and tires, because WHO would want THOSE?! :rolleyes: I've actually seen free Sprinter rims before. Some tire shops also have used tires at very good prices.

israndy
08-23-2013, 04:43 PM

Great suggestion! I found:

4 - LT 225/75 16 Michelin LTX M/S
10 Ply - Load Range E

All 4 tires are in great shape
All 4 tires have 6-7/32nd's tread design
All 4 tires in the photos are the tires I am selling

I have an RV Sprinter so I am NOT likely to wear thru the tread and more likely to time out. My 2005 Sprinter is still running the original tires. Looks like all of the original tread at only 40K miles, but the sidewalls are looking ugly with cracking. These will make my rear tires 6 years newer. I'd hate to wreck this beauty, I just got back from the body shop, for want of a few tires...

I had posted (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27366) about where do people go to trade tires, as others want to buy new tires regularly and can offset that cost by selling their old, but still having tread life, tires to people like me.

-Randy

Gulf SV
08-24-2013, 04:29 PM
.... Some tire shops also have used tires at very good prices.

Saw a sign on a tire shop some time back. "Experienced Tires. $15 and up." :lol:

xlman78
08-25-2013, 07:43 AM
Don't save on tires, go with Michelin. You pay a lot up front but you get what you paid for. Currently I have over 150.000 on my M/S and expecting to get new one before winter, so that's gonna put me around in 170-180k. But the best moment I had when at discount tire shop (when I bought them) tech asked me how many miles I put on them, when I told him 150k he goes " sir you almost triple it their warranty" etc etc, and tried to get me new set because some cracks starts to showing up, but I said thanks for few more months I'l be back here few more times to rotate this babies :).

shortshort
08-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Saw a sign on a tire shop some time back. "Experienced Tires. $15 and up." :lol:

Please, we call them "take-offs." :)

surlyoldbill
08-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Driving style more than tire brand results in longevity. Some people cannot help themselves, and accelerate hard every time, brake hard every time, and take corners faster than they should. Those people are the ones that complain that tires only last 40k, that its a conspiracy, that people who get over 100k are lying, etc. These are also the people who have their vans in the shop a lot.

Skiyup
08-25-2013, 05:01 PM
I just got a set of Michelin M/S 2. First set went about 140K. They cost about $1K for all four but my experience has been put them on and go and You can worry about other things. For me they are worth the money. Skip

david_42
08-25-2013, 06:27 PM
There's a lot of tires on CL around here, but they are always take-offs from SUVs and not quite the right size.

shortshort
08-25-2013, 09:01 PM
I haven't looked at CL since they kicked out the :censored:

Sprinter Dog
08-27-2013, 03:28 AM
MICHELIN ,MICHELIN ,MICHELIN ,I am cheap , but these are the bomb.You can go cheap,but MICHELIN Are the best.have tried the rest.Michelin are THE BEST!