PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter - Is This Right?????

cdavefly
08-18-2013, 05:52 PM
My 2005 appears to be running in limp mode after sitting most of the summer, so before running it in to the shop I'm going thru the basics to make sure its not something simple. When I went to change out the fuel filter I noticed the center drain fitting had a hose that was not attached to anything and appeared to have been broken off (rough edges). I don't ever recall seeing this before and don't remember a third hose coming out of the filter? Is this normal? Should there be a plug in the end. I have searched everywhere to find a loose hose to connect to it, but nothing. The service manual makes no reference either. The service manual calls it a 'fuel filter drain', but I can see light thru it when I remove it? Since I was not the person who did the last change out, I'm curious as to why this is this way?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

bc339
08-18-2013, 08:36 PM
The center hose is a drain hose. It is only about 3 to 4 inches long. One end attaches to the drain valve in the center of your filter, the other end just points up - it isn't connected to anything.
The drain is opened by unscrewing the valve and is used to drain water or to let out air after a filter replacement.
If you open the valve too much with the engine running, there is a small o-ring on the valve body that may come off, which can create a small geyser. This is the engine cleaning mode. Don't ask me how I know.

Bruce