PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Sprinter Side door stuck?

Icemannky
08-18-2013, 01:50 PM
I have a 2006 Dodge Sprinter. The sliding side door will not open. I found that the inside door handle was broken so i got a new one. It appears that the latch is stuck. I have manually tried to pull the latch cable and it does not move. The door is closed. How do i get the door open to finish repairs? :idunno:

pfflyer
08-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Have you tried engaging the latch instead of the cable or the lock actuator?

Icemannky
08-18-2013, 04:05 PM
I had to install a new inside door handle. Have not been able to open door in any way. I have tried all locking ways, combination of handles too. So i the resorted to trying to manually pull the cable to release the latch. The cable will move about an eighth of an inch and that is it. Remember the door is closed.

Icemannky
08-18-2013, 04:56 PM
I just found that the mechanism at the latch is broken and cannot pull latch release with the cable. Now how do i get the door open?

pfflyer
08-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Follow the cable to the latch at the rear of the door. The cable attaches to an lever on the latch. Look at the replacement you bought and see which way you need push or pull the lever to try to un-latch without using the cable and push or pull it that way. I cant recall if you can see this lever or not but you should be able to follow the cable an go by touch. Sounds like your cable is binding and may be why the handle broke. If you can't get the cable to work you might have to replace it as well. If the cable prevents you from engaging the lever on the latch remove it from the handle end and all clips that hold it in place or cut an replace.

pfflyer
08-18-2013, 05:05 PM
If the cable is not attached then on the replacement look how it operates and find the broken lever half still there and try to engage the mechanism. You may have to do this blind because I can't remember if you can see the whole part when installed.

Good luck

Icemannky
08-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Got it open. Door was in a bind and made it very hard to pull cable. A pair of heavy pliers and it is open. Not to fix what was wrong and replace what is needed. Thanks For the help Bro.

Icemannky
08-18-2013, 07:42 PM
Found the original problem. They were on the locking device. Where the inner and outer door handles make contact with the divice to open the door. Both tabs that make contact were bent. Thus not allowing for the cable to be pulled to unlatch the door. I here this is very common. I did not replace but just bent then back into position. All is well now.