PDA

View Full Version : Error code help 2005 118"

Aloha
08-18-2013, 12:20 AM
I am having power loss issues. Aftr start up the truck runs fine accelerates like it should, i can drive like normal for a little bit no issues then suddenly power loss very little acceleration holds at 2300 rpm and about 60mph. Took to get codes scanned i am posting codes please help.
The mechanic told me the scan port was loose i purchsed used. Its a 2005 118" any help with these codes appreciated.

B1470-002 (stored)
B1040-000 (stored)
B1041-000 (stored)
B1042-000 (stored)
B1010

mendonsy
08-18-2013, 01:15 AM
B series codes are all electronics.
B1470-002 Open circuit or short circuit to V+
B1040 No communication with CDI (ECM) control unit
B1041 Con communication with ABS/ASR or ESP control unit
B1042 No communication with EGS (TCM) control unit
B1010 SRS indicator bulb faulty

These could be a number of things.
Check the ground connections behind the battery and also check the wiring harness on the driver's side of the engine for a worn spot!!
Finding bad/loose connections in the Sprinter can be a real PAIN!

autostaretx
08-18-2013, 01:46 AM
The "2300 rpm" could also be an assertion of (semi-)limp home mode... there's one symptom that causes the ECM to limit RPM to 2500.

But i agree that it's probably a chafing wiring harness or loose connector.

--dick

Aloha
08-18-2013, 02:00 AM
B series codes are all electronics.
B1470-002 Open circuit or short circuit to V+
B1040 No communication with CDI (ECM) control unit
B1041 Con communication with ABS/ASR or ESP control unit
B1042 No communication with EGS (TCM) control unit
B1010 SRS indicator bulb faulty

These could be a number of things.
Check the ground connections behind the battery and also check the wiring harness on the driver's side of the engine for a worn spot!!
Finding bad/loose connections in the Sprinter can be a real PAIN!

Thank you i will start checking grounds. I just lost a battery the day this started :bash:

mendonsy
08-18-2013, 12:16 PM
A battery problem could certainly account for some (if not all) of those stored codes.

Aloha
08-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Dick
Can you tell me the one symptom you were going to say before you agreed about the wiring just in case i need to check that as well? Thanks everyone

Steady Eddie
08-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Replace your tail light bulbs with correct ones......

autostaretx
08-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Dick
Can you tell me the one symptom you were going to say before you agreed about the wiring just in case i need to check that as well? Thanks everyone
Unfortunately i don't (and couldn't as i wrote) recall which conditions cause the 2500 and 3000 rpm limitations.
Vic has posted about them a few times, and some of his training manual pages describe them.

if i can find the info, i'll post it
--dick

Aloha
08-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Replace your tail light bulbs with correct ones......

Thats funny the mechanic said to pull the aftemarket radio and check wiring only a mercedes or a porsche could be affected by bulbes or a radio. I will try suggestions

TX-Sprinter
08-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Hi,
I have the same problem, but with one difference, as soon as my sprinter goes in this "half-limb mode" I stop -turn the engine off and on again - and it's gone. On hot days it will repeat after a few miles, but normally it's gone for the day and comes back a few days later. I have this kind of problem for 6 month now.
I even tested the temporary fix in a risky way and it worked. Going uphill - limb mode kicked in - going down hill or leveled, shifted the car in neutral, turned it off and on and shifted back to "D" @ 60mph, no problem.
So, if it's a loose wire it should not go away by just restarting the motor.

Aloha
08-28-2013, 02:25 AM
Cant find anything with light bulbs wiring etc. have no choice going to mercedes dealership in gtown texas.. Any suggestions here in austin texas?

TX-Sprinter
08-28-2013, 03:30 AM
What do you mean with light bulb wiring, there is a chance for an error message if you have a bulb with the wrong wattage. I checked my lights after I read the message on page one and saw that I had a dead bulb in my third break light. I took the bulb out, and drove for two days, no change, it still goes into limp mode. Today I put a new bulb in, but the yellow engine light is still on will see tomorrow evening if there is a change, but I don't think so, because the bulb has the wrong wattage = 25.8 watt instead of the recommended 21 watt. Today I realized that it is really a pain in the butt to get the German version of bulbs in the U.S. a simple 12V/21watt bulb, no chance. I found so many different bulbs today from 6.3V all the way up to 13.8V and from 3 watt up to 26 watt, approx. 12 different volt and wattages for one type of bulb. The closest one for the Sprinter is 13.8V/21W recommend by Sylvania which I will try tomorrow.

Where are the good old days where a break-, fog- ,back-up- and blinker bulb had 21 watt and the regular-and park bulb had 5 watt and nothing else? Only 3 different bulbs, that's it.

Checked just my Sprinter repair book, there are only 12V - 5 watt, 21 watt and 21/5 watt bulbs on the back side of the Sprinter, nothing else.

Aloha
08-29-2013, 03:19 AM
Oh wow thats crazy. I will double check. Previouse owner had a tune player hooked to a p.a. Need to remove.

TX-Sprinter
10-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Finally I invested some money and bought me a "Scan Gauge II", a really helpful tool. The error code which I got was P0299 (Turbo/super charger under boost).
The problem with the limp mode worsened in last couple of weeks, the limp mode appeared more often and my last long trip (1300 mls) was driven only in the limp mode. At least I got no speeding ticket.
Last weekend I took everything out on the left side of my motor-room area. Air-filter (complete), Wiper washer fluid tank, heat shields, lots of hoses, headlight, just to see if any hose was leaking..... nothing. Then I remembered reading (3 years ago) something about the turbo resonator box which wasn't designed properly from MB. At that time I had several long trips to make and bought an aftermarket resonator made from aluminum, which I had all the time in the storage area under the passenger seat.
So I removed the old plastic resonator box and inspected it, and found out that the PVC weld seam started to come apart, it was leaky. I build the new aluminum resonator (just a pipe) in and mounted all hoses (after a good inspection) and other removed parts, back.
And Voila... the problem was solved. The whole last week, I drove every problem causing situation (full throttle uphill, fast acceleration and more), nothing... no problem. Even the shifting problem, stuck in 3rd gear uphill or slow speed in city traffic, solved by shifting manually is gone.
Error code is also gone.

sailquik
10-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Tx-Sprinter;
The correct bulbs are very easy to get.
Take your VIN# to your nearest Authorized MB Commercial Sprinter dealer and go to the parts counter.
They will have the correct bulbs! If they don't have them in stock, they can order them for you and mail them to you.
If you have no Authorized MB Commercial Sprinter you can most likely order them online, or you can
get the correct bulbs from any Mercedes Benz dealer.
If you can read the # on the bulb, (might have to take the good bulb out of the other tail light Assembly to get the number)
you can order Online, check with MB/Dodge/Freightliner dealers.
Guess you are looking for the bulbs in all the wrong places....they are easy to get if you try to buy them from places that
carry MB parts.
Roger