PDA

View Full Version : EDW horn, interior motion sensor fuse blown

bankodave
08-17-2013, 03:48 PM
I have a 2003 T1N and the battery is draining every night. I found that the EDW horn, interior motion sensor fuse is blown (15A). When I try to put in a new fuse it blows as soon as it makes contact in the fuse block. Leaving the blown fuse in I get a reading of 12.8 volts across both legs. So there is a short somewhere but I am not sure where to start to track it down. What is an EDW horn?

Thanks,

Dave

autostaretx
08-17-2013, 04:46 PM
You can download the complete 2003 (and 2006, which has better "location" diagrams) service manual from:
http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/

The security system schematic is in section 8w-39 ... and it shows the security system as using (at least) 4 fuses.
Which one blew? (7.5 amps, 10 amps, 15 amps, 20 amps)

For example, the siren is directly fused, and the security module (distinct from the SKREEM) tells it to scream.
So if the siren was shorted out internally, that (7.5 amp) fuse would blow.

So far, i haven't found an exact translation for EDW, but i'm still looking....
(since the 2nd word "horn" is mentioned, perhaps it is the siren)
added: EDW is a synonym for ATA (Anti-Theft Alarm) and VTA (Vehicle Theft Alarm).
(i'm still looking for the German expansion of the acronym)

--dick

bankodave
08-17-2013, 06:01 PM
Dick,

Thanks for the reply. I was wrong regarding the 15 amp fuse. It is actually the #18 - 7.5 amp fuse that is blowing. I think my next step is to remove the front seat and start tracing the wires.

Dave

sassmatt72
08-17-2013, 08:19 PM
find the horn first and start there.... ask my how I know... lol good luck

autostaretx
08-17-2013, 10:34 PM
find the horn first and start there.... ask my how I know... lol good luck
I'd also start at the alarm horn first... i believe it's located on the firewall in the engine compartment.

(from the 2006 service manual)

--dick

bankodave
08-18-2013, 07:38 PM
I came out this morning to start my 2003 TiN after leaving it on a trickle charger all night and it will not start. All I am getting is a click, click, click. I put it on my larger charger and tried to start it with the fast start setting and still just the clicks. I have been getting the battery drain for the past two weeks and have had to charge it each night. In the mornings it has started up just fine after being on the charger all night until today.

Here is what I have done today to try to resolve this:

- Checked all fuses (did this while searching for the parasitic drain two days ago)
- Removed, cleaned and reconnected terminal cables
- Pulled starter and had it bench tested (passed 5 tests and sounds great)
- Reinstalled starter
- Removed battery from circuit and tried to jump it off of another car
- Replaced starter relay
- I have been reading the forum about the cables corroding and they seemed to look good.
- I did have the battery tested last week and it was good.

Any ideas where to go next?

Thanks,
Dave

Boater
08-19-2013, 11:46 PM
What is an EDW horn?

EDW is Mercedes acronym for 'burglar alarm', the same way that EDC means check engine light and ABD means traction control :lol:

Starting at the siren and looking for faults or trapped/shorted wires makes good sense, however I'll bet there is a relay somewhere, I have had relay failure make a circuit permanently live so that might be worth looking for early on.

bankodave
08-19-2013, 11:55 PM
Thanks Boater. That is where I will start.

Dave

bankodave
08-25-2013, 03:59 PM
It seams my power drain was coming from my Central Locking Control Module. A local mechanic traced it and has left the module unplugged. He said to drive it for a couple of days to make sure the power drain issue is resolved and to see if the unplugged module causes any other issues. The van seems to run fine and the battery is keeping it's charge overnight.

Does anyone know of an online resource for control modules? I will call the dealership tomorrow to get pricing and availability but would like to find a less expensive option. The parts sources I found searching on this site do not seem to carry the major electrical components.

The part number is A0004461419. I was able to find it on ebay but it is in Germany. Here is a link to the part on ebay: http://www.yas-group.com/Mercedes-Central-locking-control-unit

Thanks,

Dave

autostaretx
08-25-2013, 11:23 PM
The part number is A0004461419. I was able to find it on ebay but it is in Germany. Here is a link to the part on ebay: http://www.yas-group.com/Mercedes-Central-locking-control-unit
That's Dodge part number 5103642AA

...theoretically replaced by 5127217AA

which is about $193 from http://www.sprinterparts.net/oem-sprinter-parts.html
(list price cited as $297)

Look for the "i can get you OEM parts" thread here in the forum (i forget the author, sorry)
use the search box to find "riskydnb" as the author...

--dick