PDA

View Full Version : Power loss HELP

Aloha
08-15-2013, 03:05 AM
Hello i have a 2005 2500 my engine light came on loss of power only able to reach about 2200 rpm approx. 55-60 mph but this only happens once it warms up, before that it runs like a champ. I am also experiancing a fuel economy issue. My question is should i Try cleaning my egr valve? Any suggestions before i pay for a test. Any help much appreciated.:drool:

icarus
08-15-2013, 03:07 AM
Turbo charge air leak, possibly turbo resonator, or hose leak, or intercooler.

Get a scan gauge or scan tool and check boost pressure, that is the most likely culprit.

Icarus

Aloha
08-15-2013, 03:17 AM
Scan tool or scan gauge is that a tool only the dealer will have? Or can i get that myself?

aspen
08-15-2013, 03:45 AM
I experienced a LHM the other day, first time ever. I have a 2004 158" dually with 180K miles. It happened when I got onto the highway, lost power, couldn't go over 40mph, NO CEL though. I pulled over, re-started the engine and it ran fine again. Today I decided to inspect all hoses and the resonator. Resonator is OK. Found a split in an upper charge hose between air intake and intercooler. The split doesn't seem to be all the way through, but when I put it in neutral and had my wife rev it up a bit, I could feel the suction with my hand over the hose. I hope it is the problem, will report back when I replace the hose.

The intake has a lot of gunk, deeper, not by the hose connection. I took a stick and cleaned as much a I could and followed by a toothbrush.
I wonder if this is normal or can indicate a problem?

aspen
08-15-2013, 03:52 AM
Behind the driver side headlight I found this small clear hose that drops into the wheel well, but not connected to anything. Does anyone know what this is? It is too small diameter to fit onto the radiator drain hole.

The area behind the headlight had a lot of oily gunk, which I cleaned. It looks better in this picture. Where is it coming from, lower intercooler hose? or that heater?

Aqua Puttana
08-15-2013, 01:18 PM
That hose is likely a vent hose from the battery. Either it fell/was taken off, or some replacement batteries don't have a place for a vent hose to connect.

It is not unusual to find oil and a bit of gunk in the intake hoses, etc. The entrained oil comes from the turbo system and other engine recirculation systems.

It doesn't take much of leak for the computer to notice that the boost system is out of whack. (That is a tried and true automotive technical term.) Typically the hose splits open up more when the turbo boost is increased under hard acceleration.

I can't say where your gunk under the battery is coming from. I would put from the aux heater low on the list, but I haven't seen your vehicle. A loose hose clamp on the charge air system can allow oil to weep out. vic

aspen
08-15-2013, 04:56 PM
I can't say where your gunk under the battery is coming from. I would put from the aux heater low on the list, but I haven't seen your vehicle. A loose hose clamp on the charge air system can allow oil to weep out. vic[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Vic, I did tighten the clamps and will keep an eye on it. Anyone else has oily residue on horizontal surfaces behind driver side headlight? Let us know!

icarus
08-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Any good auto parts store should have a OBDI scan tool that can measure boost pressure. A scan gauge is a brand name instrument that you can permanently install so you can monitor engine systems including boost. Other brands include Ultra Gauge.

Charge air leaks are probably the biggest source of loss of power issues with sprinters.

Icarus

skill3
08-15-2013, 07:27 PM
I recently bought a 187,000 mile 118"SHC Sprinter. I had already owned a 2005 Sprinter and I had suffered most of the usual problems. To avoid the common ailments, this is what I did the first day I owned the 118".
1)Change Oil
2)Change transmission socket and transmission fluid
3)Replace all of the turbo hoses and resonator
4)Replace the serpentine belt
5)Replace the fuel filter
6)Cleaned the EGR
I know this isn't a guarantee that nothing will happen in the future, but at least I can eliminate some potential problems for now.
It will cost you about $115 for new turbo hoses (Europarts SD)and resonator (Dorman Amazon $30). If you want to clean the EGR, also buy a new EGR gasket about $5 from Europarts SD. If you still have the originals hoses and resonator, I would replace them. Just my 2 cents. BTW, I also had some gunk under the battery.