PDA

View Full Version : Orange on Black dash LCD, how?

owner
08-15-2013, 12:05 AM
Was just cruising eBay and found a 2002 T1N with this photo...
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/KUAAAOxyuMVSC18~/$(KGrHqZHJEkFH7odtDNWBSC18-pgkw~~60_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

That orange on black looks a lot better than the normal "Gah my eyes" black on orange. But how?

This is the listing...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181196422869&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:3160

mendonsy
08-15-2013, 12:29 AM
Interesting!! :thinking:
Maybe he hooked the battery up backwards? :tongue::lol:

shortshort
08-15-2013, 01:52 AM
It's the Harley edition

cdman1674
08-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Are we all stumped? No ideas:idunno:

Aqua Puttana
08-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Are we all stumped? No ideas:idunno:
I've not noticed that before. They do have options available for Sprinters down under which we don't have here in NAFTA land. :idunno: vic

autostaretx
08-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Perhaps it's a (hypothetical) "stealth mode" Sprinter?
Used by people who don't want the cab to light up from the dash when they start up to surreptitiously follow their prey...

"The Sprinter... so large they'll never think it's trying to be stealthy"

--dick

mean_in_green
08-15-2013, 08:48 PM
I think Gunther switches the coding on the assembly line when he's had an exceptionally pleasing bockwurst for breakfast (http://http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=66753&postcount=6)

mugget
08-16-2013, 06:43 AM
I could be wrong - but I seem to recall a memory from my childhood which involves flipping a film layer that is used on top of an LCD screen/display. This inverts the colours. Maybe Google around for some info on that. Or if you have a calculator handy, just pull it apart and try it out! There should be a a film/plastic insert sitting on top of the display. Just flip it and see what happens...

mean_in_green
08-16-2013, 10:44 AM
I don't know why mine had one, I've never seen another UK one with it.

owner
08-16-2013, 10:20 PM
MIG I can't see your link. Are you saying you had the same stealth LCD on a T1N?

I have Gunther's developer version of star diagnostics, the same one he uses on the assembly line, but I don't recall any options for the LCD in the setup, other than stuff like decimal places and switching on/off the gear display. maybe its buried in the full on German menus somewhere, like a test mode or something.

I have limited access to a native German (not Gunther), so next time I'm there with the star diag I will get him to take a look.

If you did have it, was it actually as good as it looks in real life?

cravings
08-16-2013, 10:57 PM
mine is like that... orange on dark. year 2000 cdi. my friends' year 2002 was like that too... an 06 one i know is black on orange though. most i've seen here are black with orange numbers. i have in my head that there's a way to switch it... i wonder if i'm making that up or mistaken though.

autostaretx
08-17-2013, 12:37 AM
I could be wrong - but I seem to recall a memory from my childhood which involves flipping a film layer that is used on top of an LCD screen/display. This inverts the colours. Maybe Google around for some info on that. Or if you have a calculator handy, just pull it apart and try it out! There should be a a film/plastic insert sitting on top of the display. Just flip it and see what happens...

I have to admit i was going to poo-poo that... but then i got to thinking how LCD displays work.

There are lights behind the panel, and liquid crystal (LC) fluid between two glass sheets.
On the outer surfaces are polarizing plastic sheets...
There are transparent electrodes on the two sheets...on one face are the symbols, on the other face is a continuous conductive surface.
When a voltage is set up between the facing electrodes, the LC crystals align across the sheet-to-sheet gap.
Light coming in the rear (from the lights) is polarized by the first plastic sheet, then that polarization is *rotated* 90 degrees by the intervening LC molecules, and then is either *blocked* by the front (driver's side) plastic sheet, or *passed* by the sheet.
When no power is applied to the electrodes, the LCs relax to random order, and the polarized light entering from the rear doesn't get twisted, and hits the front polarized sheet with the same polarization it started with.

If the rear sheet and front sheet have their axes of polarization *aligned* (parallel), then "unpowered" light just passes through. "Powered" (rotated) light is blocked. Black numbers on amber screen.

If the rear and front sheets are set with their axes of polarization at right angles, then it's the unpowered light that is blocked, and the rotated light gets through. Amber numbers on black screen.

Result: flipping of "what's black" and "what's bright" by changing the orientation of *one* of the plastic sheets.

So mugget has it!

If you've got polarized sun glasses, just rotate them in front of the display and watch it disappear. (same trick with your wristwatch, LCD (not OLED) cell phone, LCD TV, etc)

--dick

bc339
08-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Sikwan did a very detailed write up on changing the gauge cluster color back in '07 - http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=875

Not quite how to inverse the display, but a look into how to customize the panel.

Bruce

mugget
08-17-2013, 09:47 PM
Glad to know that my memory didn't fail me! :laughing:

Although I never knew the reason behind why that trick worked, cheers for the explanation autostaretx.

bc339 - it's solved. Re-read the post above yours - the polarising sheet simple needs to be flipped. I would try this myself, but I don't have a small cheapo calculator handy. Anyway here is a video that shows it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1NHES-USz8

If anyone really wants to give it a try, this is the guide that sikwan based his thread on. More pictures there, may give you a better idea of what you're getting into: http://www.blauetachos.de/doc/mercedes/mb-sprinter/tacho_mercedes_benz_sprinter.htm
It also shows the LCD display which seems to be in a single unit held together with a metal frame. As long as that metal frame could be removed (unscrewed) then you could just take it off and flip the polarizing film. Hopefully the assembly is not glued together... but lots of work just to change that small display! That's a project for the dedicated!

So knowing how that all works, we can see that there will not be any software option to invert the LCD, it's simply not possible - it's a hardware function.

Sjoberg
09-13-2013, 02:03 PM
I found the same in our sprinter we have in our company, this is something i would like do change in my own sprinter.

My van.

Company sprinter.

jocke

mean_in_green
09-13-2013, 07:15 PM
So the explanation as to "why" could just be as simple as "the film was inadvertently flipped during assembly".

owner
09-13-2013, 09:59 PM
OK so I've seen sprint shift and manual sprinters with orange on black, but not an auto, any takers?

Boater
09-14-2013, 08:46 PM
So the explanation as to "why" could just be as simple as "the film was inadvertently flipped during assembly".

I think it needs to be rotated 90 degrees rather than flipped, so presumably it depends whether the guy feeding the sheets into the machine that cuts the film strips out is paying attention or not :rolleyes:

Boater
09-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Lost a nose pad on my glasses at the weekend, suspect it is the reason I have been getting a headache so went out to the car and fetched my sunglasses, which are polarised.

All our monitors are LCD style, most are black when I sit in front of them but if I tilt my head 90 degrees I can see the screen.
Pretty certain now that the orange on black vs black on orange is about 90 degree rotation of the front polarised film so flipping it isn't going to help, and they appear to be rectangular so rotating it is also unfeasible.

Which raises the question as to whether it is deliberate choice by MB or just random?

Fortunately I have been able to switch monitors with a colleague so I can sit in the back of an office with virtually no natural light in a middle of a storm wearing my sunglasses, but getting some work done!