Sprinter engine swap in Calgary

I was wondering if it is possible to swap out the engine in my 2007 3500 V6 Cab & chassis dodge sprinter. I have a 2012 V6 Cab & chassis truck with a Mercedes badge as a parts vehicle. Anyone on here know if this swap is possible. They are both V6 diesels.

I would also like to know if anyone here is looking for any parts. Once I have completed my engine swap I will be left with a large selection of surplus parts from a 2012 Cab and chassis and an engine from my 2007.

The motor in my 2007 runs but keeps going in to limp mode I just purchased the truck and have never had it running. So am not sure what the actual problem is. The turbo has been removed so I only have what the previous original owner has told me. He told me the turbo was leaking oil at the intercooler side??? and it needs new seal/gaskets for the turbo. My main goal is to get it up and running or if need be swap the engine.

If anyone on here is able to help with the turbo install or the engine swap please feel free to contact me either PM me or I can be reached through email jthomasrovers@gmail.com

if you prefer call me 587 438 7075

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Justin

The motor in my 2007 runs but keeps going in to limp mode I just purchased the truck and have never had it running. So am not sure what the actual problem is. The turbo has been removed so I only have what the previous original owner has told me. He told me the turbo was leaking oil at the intercooler side??? and it needs new seal/gaskets for the turbo. My main goal is to get it up and running or if need be swap the engine.

...Regards,
Justin
Not that you asked...
Many times the turbo gets blamed when it is other more minor issues causing low boost or LHM. Can you get the original turbo back? It may be just fine.

If your engine runs and seems to have good compression I would think that getting it going is the only real option for you.

Almost any engine can be installed into almost any vehicle with enough time, money, and adaptation. Putting a 2012 engine into a 2007 will be far from an easy swap. You can't just drop it in and turn the key. Harnesses won't match. Modules will be different, etc. :2cents:

Good luck. vic

Looks like it moved to the wrong section; should be NCV3 not T1N.
I don't think it was moved. :idunno: but it is now.

wmlog

On the surface it sounds like it should work - but the computers may be an issue. I wouldn't scrap out any parts until the swap was completed. Some parts other than the obvious may need to be swapped.

72chevy4x4

Could it be as 'simple' as swapping over the long block and leaving out the stuff that doesn't belong on the 2007 such as the DEF?

Well I have decided to use the 2007 as a donor vehicle and get the 2012 on the road. The 2012 was in an accident while stationary, it was hit in the front end by a turning tractor trailer, causing front end damage. It needs hood, grill, headlights, all Radiators, rad support, bumper ,bumper cover, power steering pump, a/c compressor, oil filter housing, fan and shroud. All these parts have been taken off of my 2007 and installed on the 2012 cab & chassis truck. only thing left to move is the 17 foot cube van box. Now the truck is badged as a Dodge with the exception of the steering wheel.

The reason for my change of heart was the 2012 truck actually runs fantastic and only has 66,000 km on the clock while the 2007 has 300,000 km so it seemed like the better option and in the long run I'm hoping will hold its value longer and have less mechanical issues being it is a newer truck. The 2007 had a hard life as a delivery cube van with a rough owner and almost no maintenance.

The only problem I have now is after installing all of the donor parts I have found a steady leak on the upper oil pan housing. The leak is just above the oil level sensor. I have removed the lower oil pan from the donor truck and all the bolts on the upper section including those hidden by the lower oil pan and 4 bolts from the lower section of the transmission but can not get the thing off. Are there hidden bolts holding it in place from inside of the transmission bell housing. THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!:yell::yell::idunno:

It would be great if someone on here could shed some light on this problem.

Kind regards to all
Justin

lindenengineering

Well I have decided to use the 2007 as a donor vehicle and get the 2012 on the road. The 2012 was in an accident while stationary, it was hit in the front end by a turning tractor trailer, causing front end damage. It needs hood, grill, headlights, all Radiators, rad support, bumper ,bumper cover, power steering pump, a/c compressor, oil filter housing, fan and shroud. All these parts have been taken off of my 2007 and installed on the 2012 cab & chassis truck. only thing left to move is the 17 foot cube van box. Now the truck is badged as a Dodge with the exception of the steering wheel.

The reason for my change of heart was the 2012 truck actually runs fantastic and only has 66,000 km on the clock while the 2007 has 300,000 km so it seemed like the better option and in the long run I'm hoping will hold its value longer and have less mechanical issues being it is a newer truck. The 2007 had a hard life as a delivery cube van with a rough owner and almost no maintenance.

The only problem I have now is after installing all of the donor parts I have found a steady leak on the upper oil pan housing. The leak is just above the oil level sensor. I have removed the lower oil pan from the donor truck and all the bolts on the upper section including those hidden by the lower oil pan and 4 bolts from the lower section of the transmission but can not get the thing off. Are there hidden bolts holding it in place from inside of the transmission bell housing. THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!:yell::yell::idunno:

It would be great if someone on here could shed some light on this problem.

Kind regards to all
Justin
Justin
You are referring to the girdle plate and windage tray holder.
Yes it held by through bolts from the back of the bell housing area.

You need a few Mexicans and an Irishman like I have to rip the power pack out 6 hours to drop it! "andale pues"! 'n Make mine a Guinness Michael!
Sorry no magic tips on this one, just grin and bear it
Dennis

Top Bottom