PDA

View Full Version : The New Guy

Talbott594
08-13-2013, 03:28 PM
I just bought a Used 2004 Sprinter 2500. It is for my sons Motocross racing. The van started smoking when you pull off. As the Turbo winds up the smoke goes away. As it climbs a hill it will lug down real low and then power up with a lot of smoke left behind. The previous owners had rigged a rubber hose from the Vaccum generator to the Brake booster. The small vacuum line that hooks to it was not reattached. They also put a new Turbo on it recently. Any suggestions?

MillionMileSprinter
08-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Welcome to the Forum!
Get your Sprinter scanned at a Dealership or use the link at the bottom of my signature to find someone near you who has an appropriate scanner. Only a few scanners will actually work.
Once you do that, we can have a better idea of what exactly is going on with you Sprinter. The information you gave is too broad to offer suggestions, at least for ME to offer suggestions. Maybe someone else can chime in, but I think your best bet is to get a scan and see what the ECU is saying it doesn't like.
Good luck!

autostaretx
08-13-2013, 07:48 PM
The small vacuum line that hooks to it was not reattached.
An open vacuum line isn't a vacuum line... it's air.

There have been threads discussing a loose vacuum line, and things always got lots better when it was properly attached.
As a first step: try *plugging* that loose line so that it's not an open leak.
See if things change.

The smoke means it's running rich. Once the turbo spools up there's enough air to burn that fuel.
If it's not smoking at idle, it's probably not a leaky injector (at least, into the cylinder)

added: the service manual says that the vacuum is routed to the: heater, air conditioner, brake booster and vacuum pump. The service manual also shows it going to the turbo solenoid, but i believe the manual does not reflect reality. You probably have an electric servo positioner.

--dick

Talbott594
08-13-2013, 08:40 PM
It is at the dealer getting scanned now. I called and they said they do not know what is wrong. I am getting a very uneasy feeling about the Dodge dealer. $90 per hour and they are scratching there heads. It is real sluggish from 500 to 1800 rpm then it comes on strong. You can hear the turbo whining. Then as you crawl a hill it struggles until it down shifts then it takes off. Alot of smoke unless you hear the turbo whining. It does smoke at idle when your first crank it. After you drive it the idle smoke seems to clear up. Put the factory line on the Brake booster back to the engine and hooked up little line. No change. Is my sprinter a T1N? not sure how to tell.

MillionMileSprinter
08-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Ask them for a complete print out of the scanner results. Post them here to the list.
All '02-'06 sprinters in North America are T1Ns.

lindenengineering
08-14-2013, 02:27 AM
It is at the dealer getting scanned now. I called and they said they do not know what is wrong. I am getting a very uneasy feeling about the Dodge dealer. $90 per hour and they are scratching there heads. It is real sluggish from 500 to 1800 rpm then it comes on strong. You can hear the turbo whining. Then as you crawl a hill it struggles until it down shifts then it takes off. Alot of smoke unless you hear the turbo whining. It does smoke at idle when your first crank it. After you drive it the idle smoke seems to clear up. Put the factory line on the Brake booster back to the engine and hooked up little line. No change. Is my sprinter a T1N? not sure how to tell.

Here's a few musings.
The turbo boost control is controlled by a solenoid behind the passengers side headlamp under the air cleaner carcass. Being fed with 1/8th (5/32 "toots--crazy fractional sizes!) hoses it can perish and leak slowing down the boost reaction. So can the control solenoid be defective or wiring (high resistance etc)

The linkage can get worn onto the turbo actuator arm, this slows reaction times

You may have a leak on the boost charge cooler hoses/charge cooler etc. We use a smoke machine to find that.

The EGR valve vanes might be slightly stuck open, this causes a warbling like miss-fire at idle & dirty exhaust in some causes it doesn't throw a code. It has caught me out on several occasions until I nailed it. Now I recommend BG244 every 10K miles bunged in the tank.
Seems to work!

Reduced blow pressure might be due to the ambient temp sensor in front of the bumper, a forgotten favorite especially corrosion on the socket pins.
Of course the MAF senor can be up the "swannee river" but a scan should show that up! Dare I mention a choked air filter!!
I had one the other day that had puckered up like a pent roof due to depression.:laughing:
Still ran--owner complained of smoke and no power--wonder why!!

Now I have to mention over fueling!!!
I have seen a few 2002/2006 Sprinters of late with failed engines--in short washed out cylinder bores. With it comes diluted lube oil and worn crank journals.
These beast won't show much in the symptoms except a dirty exhaust at idle and take off.
In doubt??
Get your crankcase lube oil analyzed--You should do this often as necessary
A failed engine will be a $7500 dollar out of pocket expense.
An "ouchie"
Dennis

Aqua Puttana
08-14-2013, 10:39 AM
Here's a few musings.
The turbo boost control is controlled by a solenoid behind the passengers side headlamp under the air cleaner carcass. Being fed with 1/8th (5/32 "toots--crazy fractional sizes!) hoses it can perish and leak slowing down the boost reaction. So can the control solenoid be defective or wiring (high resistance etc) ...
Very good information for the OM612 diesel engine. I believe the OP has a NAFTA 2004 OM647 engine with the electronic turbo vane actuator which doesn't use vacuum. Given the other hose situation mentioned I wouldn't want the OP to panic when the parts aren't there.

...These beast won't show much in the symptoms except a dirty exhaust at idle and take off.
In doubt??
Get your crankcase lube oil analyzed--You should do this often as necessary
A failed engine will be a $7500 dollar out of pocket expense.
An "ouchie"
Dennis
Waynerodd described that he lost an engine to suspected over-fueling. I believe he mentioned that he did see a slight rise in coolant temperatures prior to the failure. Unfortunately he also said that it probably wasn't obvious enough to get your attention.

I occasionally put my foot into it on freeway on ramps and watch for black smoke during the acceleration. Do you think that works as a DIY test for over-fueling?

It should be noted that when my O2 sensors have gone south that also caused smoke during my on-ramp speed-ups. So if you see smoke then an injector leak off test should be performed, but the smoke can also be caused by other things.

:2cents: vic

surlyoldbill
08-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Yes, leak-off test would be a good first step.
Dodge dealer shop may continue to scratch their heads, and start throwing new parts at it until it runs right: beware.
You aren't too far from Dr A, the Sprinter Guru, give him a call and check on having him go through it.
(search forum for Dr A phone hotline)

("not too far" by West Coast standards = within a days drive)

Talbott594
08-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Thanks to all and your suggestions. The dealer called me this morning and said their diagnostic testing all looked good. They had compared it to a similar Sprinter they had in for service. Supposedly swapped some sensors(not sure which ones). They suggested taking off the exhaust to check it. When I asked them about the Turbo Resonator the service guy said "the what" I explained the device and where it was. He said he would get the mechanic to check it. I am not getting a good feeling. Haven't heard anything back yet. My question is: Is the diagnostic testing ,the dealer performs; all electronic or will it diagnose the Injector function, fuel pressures, cylinder compression, any thing mechanical?

Talbott594
08-15-2013, 07:44 PM
Here are the results from the Dealer. Checked with DRB,found no codes-checked all sensors found reading correctly--Emailed STAR, they said check EGR valve and MAF sensor-reading correctly--checked all turbo hoses.
COR removed exhaust and checked for possible exhaust blockage-- did not EFF ECT way running--took pressure readings from another Sprinter was same.

That is straight off the dealer bill.

Here are the pressure readings:
MAF 513mgl strk
EGR position 5.8%
Vall Pressure 4589
High Pressure Pump 41.8
Rail Pressure 4557
Rail Pressure spec 4558
Rail Pressure sul 4554
on/off fuel ratio 23.9%
Rail Pressure control 14.7%
on/off fuel ratio 24.1%
fuel oty valve 41.5%
Coolant temp 184.6
Engine Speed 700 RPM
Coolant temp volts 1.359volts
injector OTY 0.012
APP sensor 1 0.386 volts
Fuel Temp 106.4F
Fuel Temp 2.55volts
inlet air temp 88.8f
inlet air pressure 11.4 psi
inlet air pressure .005 volts
intake air temp 119.7f
Boost pressure spec 14.634
Boost Pressure 14.59L
Boost Pressure 1.31 volts
Boost Pressure 95%

I hope this make since to someone.
My Turbo is controlled by a motorized actuator.
They referred me to a dealer that has a machine that will pressurize the turbo system and inject smoke to detect leaks.

Talbott594
08-18-2013, 06:09 PM
Ok, here is the deal. I got back from dealer and decided that I was gonna take the resonator off and give it a pressure test. As I was removing the hose from resonator to inter cooler I got oil on my hand from the bottom of the hose and clamp. The clamp was in a tough spot to get to. I cleaned the hose, checked for cracks, cleaned resonator, pressure tested the resonator and reinstalled everything. When attaching inter cooler hose I used a 18 inch extension to make sure the hose and clamp were on good. The sprinter is virtually smoke free now. It goes up hills like a champ now. The Turbo whistles away through all RPM ranges.

I am gonna replace hoses and purchase metal resonator. I am glad to have used this forum. Wish I had joined before I bought the sprinter. So much useful info on the forum. Thanks to all that assisted.

Icemannky
08-18-2013, 06:16 PM
I wish i had joined also before i got one. The only reason i have fixed what i did is with help from here and hard work. My van does not do what yours does and has 354k miles on it. I would like more info about the problem you mentioned. Pics would be nice also.