PDA

View Full Version : OCP Removal

Ratdog
08-12-2013, 03:44 PM
OK. I've searched the forum over & over and can't find an answer for my dilemma. I'm looking for info on how to remove the overhead control panel (light fixture in the headliner) without damaging it. The owners manual says to even have the bulbs replaced at a dealer. :thumbdown:

It can't be that difficult to remove, but I don't want to break it, either. :bash:

Thanks in advance!
Don
2013 NCV3 Cargo Van

Anyone know of a good link to a downloadable repair manual?

icarus
08-12-2013, 05:09 PM
If it is like my 08, if you gently (but hard) push the whole fixture up and toward the left front, it should release from the tabs, then pull down. It is a classic "man over plastic" exercise.

Icarus

Ratdog
08-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Thanks, Icarus. I'll give it a "gentle" try. :bash:

wmlog
08-12-2013, 10:57 PM
If you remove the right side light lens you will see 2 small tabs exposed on the right edge of the housing. Depress the 2 small tabs and push the entire assembly to the left, then pivot it downward.

:thumbup:

Ratdog
08-13-2013, 07:06 PM
If you remove the right side light lens you will see 2 small tabs exposed on the right edge of the housing. Depress the 2 small tabs and push the entire assembly to the left, then pivot it downward.

wmlog - I'm not even sure how to remove the lenses. The owners manual says to refer it to a dealer to replace those bulbs. Here's a pic of my OCP. I can see tabs on the outside edges of both lenses, but they are inside the clear plastic. I know there's got to be a way. I just don't know which edge to pull on. The attached pdf file is a pic of my OCP.

ircsmith
08-13-2013, 07:22 PM
very timely question. I have to take my OCP off the fix a leaking antenna. think I'm going to replace it with a GPS "fin" style while I'm at it.

thanks for the info!

icarus
08-13-2013, 11:19 PM
That is the same as the 08. Just grap the passengerside and pull down. It will hang on the wires and reveal the bulbs.

Icarus

Graphite Dave
08-14-2013, 02:15 AM
very timely question. I have to take my OCP off the fix a leaking antenna. think I'm going to replace it with a GPS "fin" style while I'm at it.

thanks for the info!

Can I access the antenna by removing the light panel? I noticed on my 08 that Mercedes speced the incorrect gasket material since it has cracked and is probably leaking. Due to my conversion it is not easy to remove the headliner.
Second question: does anyone know if Mercedes has corrected the mistake and corrected the material selection?

icarus
08-14-2013, 02:32 AM
Taking the light Assy out allows access to the antenna. It is a pain to remove, mine was very solidly sealed. I ran my sat radio antenna out through the same hole, and recaulked it with automotive caulk. Now I really can't get it off.

I also pulled 12 vdc power off up ther and wired the sat radio and the gps power supply's in the void to avoid having plugs all over the place. The sat radio is mounted in the rear edge if the bulkhead.

Icarus

wmlog
08-14-2013, 05:02 PM
You have to peel the lens off from the housing. The lenses have detents on their outer edge, and 3 tabs on their inner edge. You can't get at the tabs, but you can remove either lens by peeling the outer edge outward, then downward, and the tabs should release.

The AM/FM antenna is assessable through the opening. Just secure the wiring so it doesn't rattle.

If you just use brute force to pull down the console, you can damage the edge of the pressboard where the clips secure it and the console may then be loose.

Please see the following photos -

wmlog
08-14-2013, 05:55 PM

I installed 12v outlets to power my electronics. Note the CB Radio and rear view camera monitor.