Went into limp mode - any idea what these codes mean

atulin

I was going down the highway today and right as I got off a message came up that ESP had failed and to visit workshop. I had decelerated to the light on the ramp but as I pulled away I could barely move (4000lb trailer). luckily have an ultra gauge so I pulled over and cleared the codes. I drove another 40 miles today and everything was fine. I need to leave Wednesday morning on a 2500 mile trip and I don't have time tomorrow to make the pilgrimage to a sprinter dealer so I'm a little concerned.

The codes the ultra gauge came up with are P061B and P062B. I ran a search for them on here but didn't come up with anything. Anyone have a resource to decode these?

The codes the ultra gauge came up with are P061B and P062B. I ran a search for them on here but didn't come up with anything. Anyone have a resource to decode these?
The SacngaugeII and Ultra Gauge are just fancy OBDII scan tools. Generic scan tools are often less than accurate for Sprinters, even worse for newer Sprinters which use CAN communication for the dealership level scan tools.

The codes you indicate relate to torque on the FORD forums.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...p061b-code-limp-mode-some-water-near-pcm.html

Who knows what they are for a Sprinter?

You indicated towing a trailer. Do you have an OEM factory installed trailer light package? So many times these odd problems relate to trailer connections. Was it wet/raining when you had your problem?

You really need to get a scan with a dealership level scan tool, especially with transmission related issues (if that is what it is?:idunno: ). Until then any code information is suspect.

vic

Dingo

P codes are engine related , however sprinters do not return P codes like you have collected

http://www.fcrosby.com/sprinter/dtc.html gives you a list of sprinter specific codes & what they relate to . Many OBD readers fail to communicate with ECU correctly or mis read the stored codes , leading to many many many confusing conversations / fault tracing messages Etc .

Some using a snap-on reader is a good bet for reasonable code reading , better still find someone who has a real MB star system & get that to read the ECU .

The two codes you have posted seem to generic codes & refer (a) to the MAF & (b) the ECU

But the interesting part of your post was the ESP light , a faulty brake light switch can cause loss of power & similar problems , before you go spending lots of money change the brake light switch . Let us know how you did

Last edited:

sailquik

atulin,
I just checked your generic (UltraGauge EM) derived codes and they are not listed anywhere in Eric Ord's 2007-2010 Complete Sprinter Fault Code Guide Vol. 2.
All the codes having to do with the ESP/ABS/Brake system are 4 digit codes starting with the number "4".
Sorry, if you want to figure out what happened, your only option is the dealers MB SDS system,
Be careful, having any issues with your ESP/ABS/braking system is not something to take lightly, especially when pulling a trailer.
Roger

atulin

Sorry to hear about your problem. Didn't you just get a tune? Could it be related?
Yeah, I did just do a Renntech tune. I talked to them and they also said that they would need the info off a Mercedes computer. I'm about 1600 miles into my trip and it has done the same thing one time. I pulled off cleared the codes and it was fine. My current working theory is that it's related to the pulling max load from the alternator while towing up a hill. It has been pretty cool where I have been traveling so other than the morning that it did i while the roof a/c grid heater was one I haven't been running I high load from the alternator. Since I'm probably the only person to every run the renntech tune with the sterling charger it might be why they say they haven't had this issue before. On the upside the tune really helps with towing. mpg seems to be about the same but I'm running heavier and a little faster than my previous trips.

Top Bottom