PDA

View Full Version : Meyle Heavy Duty vs Textar OEM brake pads

Coast2Coast
08-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Looking to get some new brake pads I've had the worst luck with these PBR pads I got. Have had them for 35k almost and they will not stop dusting. Everytime I wash the truck 1000 miles later the front wheels are covered in purplish brown brake dust. I had a set of Meyle Heavy Duty pads on my last T1N and there was little to no dust. These PBR pads are terrible I've never seen this much dust.

Textars are $30 more then the Meyle Pads. I know some have a biased opinion on Meyle parts but I think for something like a brake pad they do the job. Are the Textars worth spending the extra $30. I don't mind spending the extra money but would like to hear some feedback on people who use the Textar pads. The Ate pads I want are only $10 more then Meyle but are discontinued for bosch braking systems :(

Coast2Coast
08-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Think I will go Meyle heavy duty this time around and splurge for the textar oem next time when I hit 300k mark. PBR should be taken to court lol for brake dust like this maybe I should contact pbr and see if they can send me out a new set of better pads if they even have them on the market. I know they do real good with BMW apps.

Coast2Coast
08-14-2013, 11:10 PM
got a new set coming in the mail today straight from PBR... :bounce: apparently they sold me the 4WD pads which are heavy duty and put out more dust but offer more bite. I never slam the brakes though cause I usually have too much random stuff in the back to do a full on sport tuned driving/emergency stop. I'll take less dust for less stopping power that I don't use. No need to go Meyle or Textar this time around. Next step up would be OEM mercedes... too bad Mintex doesn't offer a pad for the bosch calipers, that's the best pad for the dollar you can get!

312d
02-01-2015, 02:37 AM
Dust is indicative of soft brake pads, in general they have more bite and less durability, but your disc brakes will last longer, I favor them cause of reduced brake distance and almost zero noise when braking, so they are my favorite option, and I have yet to know something better than textar, thou I haven't tasted the Meyle. TEXTAR are the OEM Mercedes!

sailquik
02-01-2015, 03:07 AM
Guys,
The OEM brake pads are really the best overall for stopping power, longer life, and about half of the
"dust" you see with OEM Sprinter brakes (both T1N and NCV3) is not really brake pad dust at all.
It's actually swarf worn off the brake discs,
The brake pads and the brake rotors are "matched" so they wear equally.
Half the wear on the brakes is the brake pads and half the wear is the brake rotors.
This is why when the pads are worn out, you need to change the discs/rotors as well.
You can easily see the wear on the extreme outer edge of the rotor. Be careful the
outer edge of the disc (beyond the area that is swept by the brake pads) as when it
wears it leaves a tiny very sharp edge right at the outer periphery of the swept area
on each side of the rotor.
If you don't see this phenomenon on your Sprinter brake rotors, your brake pads are much
softer and will wear far more quickly than the OEM pads and you will see a lot more brake
dust than you will see with the OEM pads and rotors.
Hope this helps,
Roger

cahaak
02-01-2015, 03:25 AM
I use the wagner severe duty pads(949 or 1006 depending upon axle). They are inexpensive at around $26 a set with new wear sensors. I have 85K on my fronts now. There are no issues at all with dusting.

Chris

312d
02-01-2015, 03:52 AM
brake dust is pad dust, not brake disc dust.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBo0mGMhxgI

shortshort
02-01-2015, 05:02 AM
Guys,
The OEM brake pads are really the best overall for stopping power, longer life, and about half of the
"dust" you see with OEM Sprinter brakes (both T1N and NCV3) is not really brake pad dust at all.
It's actually swarf worn off the brake discs,
The brake pads and the brake rotors are "matched" so they wear equally.
Half the wear on the brakes is the brake pads and half the wear is the brake rotors.
This is why when the pads are worn out, you need to change the discs/rotors as well.
You can easily see the wear on the extreme outer edge of the rotor. Be careful the
outer edge of the disc (beyond the area that is swept by the brake pads) as when it
wears it leaves a tiny very sharp edge right at the outer periphery of the swept area
on each side of the rotor.
If you don't see this phenomenon on your Sprinter brake rotors, your brake pads are much
softer and will wear far more quickly than the OEM pads and you will see a lot more brake
dust than you will see with the OEM pads and rotors.
Hope this helps,
Roger

I ran two sets of OEM pads on the front. They were crap. Noisy, and they overheat and fade. Almost anything would be better. Might be OK in Kansas. Add a few hills and they're really pretty sad. They do have a nice grindy feel as they chew away the rotors though.

Altered Sprinter
02-01-2015, 05:19 AM
Huge difference over the technology changes with TEXTAR
Non rusting, no squeaks or squawks less dust ,at least 50%
On my third set in ten years:thumbup:

312d
02-01-2015, 08:21 AM
I ran two sets of OEM pads on the front. They were crap. Noisy, and they overheat and fade. Almost anything would be better. Might be OK in Kansas. Add a few hills and they're really pretty sad. They do have a nice grindy feel as they chew away the rotors though.

Textars do not eat rotors as fast as other harder pads. Maybe you have that overheating due to heavy loads or heavy foot, in that case harder pads are better in detrimental of rotors. Competition brake pads are the hardest, and are known to be loud and annoying for normal driving, that is cause they are designed to work best when brakes are hot.
I know hard pads eat rotors cause I have changed two sets of them using hard pads, they can eat a rotor within 100th miles bringing them down to specs. Then I decided to go with textar, and my rotors are almost new with 10 th miles, I cannot see the edge burr forming yet, and the braking is better.
Another thing you may have encountered is that the brake assist vacuum system (servo) in fact can give you two or three repeated hard braking until the vacuum reservoir fills up again.

shortshort
02-01-2015, 09:29 PM
I've been running some Canadian stuff I think. What Europarts SD sells. Smooth, quiet, seem to last a long time. Maybe the OEM stuff has evolved, but why take a chance when I have something I know works?

Teutonic9
02-02-2015, 04:46 AM
I work at a German auto repair shop. We specifically use Textar pads because of their quality. NEVER a complaint. I can't claim the Meyle pads are the same as the Textars but I can tell you for fact the Meyle (High Carbon) rotors are the EXACT same rotor as the Textar High Carbon rotor. Same factory, different box.

My only other beef with Meyle stuff is many times their products are 'Meyle of China' vs of the German origin you might expect.