PDA

View Full Version : What tools are needed for rear brakes?

Coast2Coast
08-08-2013, 05:21 PM
2500 sprinter... computer about to die typing this from sprinter :) I may have to bust this brake job out on the side of road to pass a dot test

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200396160_200396160?cm_ven=natural&cm_cat=netconcepts&cm_pla=Google&cm_ite=

Coast2Coast
08-08-2013, 05:44 PM
This thread pretty much sums it up... thanks for the pics Richard

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9657

Looks like I will just need a t 50 which I think I have in the roadside tool bag :thumbup:

cdman1674
08-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Just did mine on a 2006 2500 Hardest part was breaking loose the t-50 be careful. I cleaned the self adjusting star wheel real good, also clean the abs sensor it should be bright aluminum. Might wanna wipe the sprocket for the sensor also. Didn't change parking shoes they looked good at 160,000 miles just adjusted till they slightly touched when spinning the rotor./hub. Have fun:smirk:

Boater
08-09-2013, 12:48 AM
Before you need the T50 you will need an 18mm socket to remove the caliper.
Oh, and you really want that T50 in an impact driver with a 5lb lump hammer behind it to break the threadlock free. Some older ones have a countersunk large philips screw instead of the T50 (mine does), new rotors are drilled for both in different positions.
I assume you have something to clamp the hose and a wrench for the bleed screw (9mm, or 11mm?) for pushing the pistons back or are you a remove the cap and push the fluid back to the reservoir type? :D:

Coast2Coast
08-09-2013, 03:04 AM
:My t50 star bolts came out easy, the problem was getting that clamp out on the side of caliper a bit of a pain :bash: new rotors and ate pads are in... I did damage one of my boots on right rear side. There is a small hole in it now. Should I get a caliper rebuild kit or not worry about it??.... since the van has 230k I figure next time I do brakes it will be ready for some rebuilt calipers. :hmmm:

shortshort
08-09-2013, 04:21 AM
I got a set of rebuilt front calipers from Europarts when the left pads started wearing twice as fast as the right. 100k later all good.

Boater
08-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Rusty piston would really spoil your braking performance (mind you, it's only the rear :D: ), not sure how common the calipers are and how easy it is to get a rebuild kit in the US but I have a UK source if you are struggling.

cdman1674
08-09-2013, 12:23 PM
I got the slide pin boots from napa I'll get the part number

Coast2Coast
08-09-2013, 07:26 PM
I got the slide pin boots from napa I'll get the part number

The boot I damaged is the one on the caliper the big one that goes around the part that you compress, you cannot see the boot when compressed. Let me know if anyone comes up with a part number and what is needed to replace it.... does the caliper have to come off completely? Like I mentioned with 228k on the van I may just worry about it later and get rebuilt calipers next time I do the rear brakes. I'm open to suggestions :thumbup:

Boater
08-11-2013, 12:35 AM
Never stripped a sprinter caliper but you will almost certainly need to remove it because you will need to pop the piston out to change the boot. Best way I have found to do that is too apply low pressure air to the inlet from a foot pump or similar (don't use an airline, it will come out like a cannonball and if you don't damage anything else you will surely end up scratching the piston), which obviously requires the fluid to be drained out of the caliper first to avoid making a real mess.

There will be a groove on the piston for the inner lip on the boot, and a groove around the hole in the caliper for the outer lip, the inner lip usually slides off the piston easily but the outer lip is pretty well hooked into the caliper, hence you need the piston out of the way.

Clean it all up thoroughly, wipe clean brake fluid on the piston and insert it with a slight twisting motion to help it align properly.
Um, come to think of it, some pistons rotate as they come out - I have no experience with them, they might need a slightly different procedure.

You will probably want to replace the inner seal at the same time, will probably come in a kit with the boot.

It's not difficult but needs to be done in clean conditions with care not to introduce any grit. In fact there really isn't any more to completely stripping and rebuilding a caliper yourself. Obviously, the shops that do it also clean and paint them (not sure if they blast or use ultrasonics for cleaning) as well as renewing seals, pistons and bleed screws.