PDA

View Full Version : Gremlins!

SullyVan
08-07-2013, 02:00 PM
I was on a 7 hour trip back from a great long weekend in Maine when all of a sudden, this little green monster jumps onto my hood. I saw his razor sharp teeth sink into some wires and all of a sudden, the engine cuts out!

Ok, i was really on a 7 hour drive back from Maine. I was doing 70mph on a normal, reasonably flat highway at night with the radio blasting, singing Daft Punk (www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NV6Rdv1a3I) with the girl i brought. All of a sudden, the sprinter started slowing down. Other than the gradual slowing (i was under cruise control for best singing), i had no clue something went wrong. The only evidence there was a problem was the battery light on the instrument cluster. It came on to show the alternator went offline.

So basically, the computer decided to do an instant engine shutdown while doing 70 mph under cruise control.

I pulled over, restarted the computer and drove the remaining 2 hours without incident.

My only question is.... who decided that electronically controlling every little detail of an engine was a good idea... and who the hell was so hung over when they wired these sprinters????

Graphite Dave
08-07-2013, 02:16 PM

My only question is.... who decided that electronically controlling every little detail of an engine was a good idea... and who the hell was so hung over when they wired these sprinters????

My guess it was the Ingenieur late at night after Octoberfest. No sober person would do it!

autostaretx
08-07-2013, 03:59 PM
with the radio blasting, singing Daft Punk
And you wonder *why* the Sprinter quit?

They far prefer Wagner...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aKAH_t0aXA

--dick

Graphite Dave
08-07-2013, 04:14 PM
If those were Sprinter engineers on the ground, there may be hope.

My Sprinter did its no power act just after I was passing cars on a two lane road. Not a good design if it happens at the wrong time. Passengers could look just like the folks on the floor of the video.

Boater
08-07-2013, 05:27 PM
And you wonder *why* the Sprinter quit?

They far prefer Wagner...

--dick

Ha ha!

In amongst all the metal on my bramble (which I use as an mp3 player when driving) I do have Ride of the Valkyrie, I think it's a full version (goes on for a while), although the audio clip from Apocalypse Now, "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" is on there too and offers an insight as to why!