PDA

View Full Version : New guy looking for some wheels

Baxis
08-07-2013, 03:35 AM
Hey guys, I have a 05 "short n low," and I ran into the idea of changing my tires but that just opened the Pandoras' Box :professor:
The van has 15" wheels, 16" would open up the possibilities and options for tires,
the question is... what are these wheels in the attached jpeg and would they fit my T1N?

Easter egg: the previous owner had studded snow tires, and although I knew that, my boss didnt:yell:. so when he sent me out for a pick up, it turned out to be about 3600lbs of nuts n bolts on two mini-pallets. Luckily enough for me, the van came with an older set of 8 ply tires, quick stop by Les Schwab, and I was on my way.

Baxis
08-07-2013, 04:00 AM
yeah waay off nm

surlyoldbill
08-07-2013, 04:07 AM
You can use a tire calculator to determine what size rim and tire combinations will end up being the same outer diameter size as the original tires. If you have a 118hc, you won't have to worry as much about the load capability of the rims. Some people who have found aluminum car rims that fit have reported failure, because they are not designed for much of a load. Others who have tried to put on taller tires have found them to rub or bind; there isn't much room to play with on the 140 or 158 with the stock 16" rims and 225/75 tires. Some people have been able to run 235/75 but have said they can't even fit their finger between the tire and the fender with the front wheels turned; and the 140-158 have been lifted to allow the 225/75/16 tires to fit, so they probably wouldn't work on a 118.

Others will chime in, but
it's always better to stay with stock.

MillionMileSprinter
08-07-2013, 04:22 AM
It's usually safest to stay stock, but some of us push the boundaries and get good results.
I've been running 18" Audi Q7 wheels and tires for about 40K miles and haven't had any problems at all.
Here's a write up on how I machined them to fit, the ensuing controversy and my extremely well thought out and irrefutably sound logic that put all the naysayers to shame.:dripsarcasm:
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15530&highlight=audi+diy
...but seriously, I wouldn't use them if I was always hauling at or near capacity in my Sprinter, and I respect people who disagree with me. There are a lot of great people on this forum, and we don't always agree on everything. :thumbup:

skill3
08-07-2013, 05:14 AM
If you have a 2005 118", your van should have 5-lug wheels. The ones pictured are 6-lug. You can look for 5-lug 16" OEM wheels, they are out there. I have a 2006 SHC 118" and I wanted some fancy wheels, but I opted to stay with stock wheels and tires. I don't haul super heavy loads, but I do pull a 14' enclosed tandem axle trailer. With the 8 ply tires, the trailer handles great, no sway or swerve.

supermoto154
08-07-2013, 12:09 PM
I have 18" wheels on my 2002 sprinter, had to modify front fender a small bit for rubbing..