PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the mas sensor

bbirdxx2000
08-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Hi everyone

I have an 04 with 510,000 miles on her (should be broken in:thinking:). I am getting some black smoke if I take the RPMS past 3,000. Its just a puff and it takes about 50 miles or so for it to build up again

No check engine lite
No limp mode or loss of power
not running hot
still getting 23 MPH highway

So I am guessing the mas sensor could use a cleang. The EGR valve was replaced at the 350,000 mile mark

So how do you clean a sensor, and what do you use:idunno::idunno:

Aqua Puttana
08-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Hi everyone

I have an 04 with 510,000 miles on her (should be broken in:thinking:). I am getting some black smoke if I take the RPMS past 3,000. Its just a puff and it takes about 50 miles or so for it to build up again

Not that you asked...

Including the one that came with my 2004 I am on my 4th O2 sensor since buying used. The first Bosch sensor was throwing a O2 code. Engine operation seemed normal, but I would get black soot if I accelerated hard up an on ramp. Replaced with a Delphi O2 sensor. That one lasted a short time before MIL, code with the same on ramp symptoms. Replaced with another Delphi sensor. :idunno: All was OK for a time, then MIL with O2 code, Air Mass code, and LHM with same on ramp soot. Reset DTC's never to see the O2 code again. Air Mass code returned though. After too many tries at repair the LHM was cured by replacing the O2 with a Bosch OEM type O2 sensor. No more LHM, no more black soot/smoke under hard acceleration.

They say that O2 sensors lose performance over time. If your O2 sensor has many, many miles on it you might consider replacement of the O2 sensor. That said, you haven't had an O2 DTC so there is no substantiation of an O2 sensor issue.

Intended as information, not a diagnosis.

So I am guessing the mas sensor could use a cleaning. The EGR valve was replaced at the 350,000 mile mark

So how do you clean a sensor, and what do you use:idunno::idunno:
Others here have purchsed MAF sensor cleaner at auto parts stores and used it with varying success.

Good luck. vic

bbirdxx2000
08-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Not that you asked...

Including the one that came with my 2004 I am on my 4th O2 sensor since buying used. The first Bosch sensor was throwing a O2 code. Engine operation seemed normal, but I would get black soot if I accelerated hard up an on ramp. Replaced with a Delphi O2 sensor. That one lasted a short time before MIL, code with the same on ramp symptoms. Replaced with another Delphi sensor. :idunno: All was OK for a time, then MIL with O2 code, Air Mass code, and LHM with same on ramp soot. Reset DTC's never to see the O2 code again. Air Mass code returned though. After too many tries at repair the LHM was cured by replacing the O2 with a Bosch OEM type O2 sensor. No more LHM, no more black soot/smoke under hard acceleration.

They say that O2 sensors lose performance over time. If your O2 sensor has many, many miles on it you might consider replacement of the O2 sensor. That said, you haven't had an O2 DTC so there is no substantiation of an O2 sensor issue.

Intended as information, not a diagnosis.

Others here have purchsed MAF sensor cleaner at auto parts stores and used it with varying success.

Good luck. vic

Thank-you:cheers:, I will take your advice, seeing its half price of a MAF