PDA

View Full Version : Thor Siesta 24SA - Rotten Egg Smell

KyleCoaching
08-06-2013, 01:37 AM
Good evening,

1.) Has anyone had this problem 2.) Solutions

So if I use hot water I get a very strong 'rotten egg' sulfur smell. I have emptied the fresh water tank, ran the hot water heater empty. Nothing I have done has fixed this problem. I have had this Sprinter for about 3 months.

Thoughts??

Chuck

Diamondsea
08-06-2013, 03:13 AM
I had this problem with a new home hot water tank smell a few years ago if I was away for a few days. Neighbors with a new hot water heater had the same problem. Turning off the heater when away seemed to reduce it. After a year or so the problem went away. I think the problem was some kind of reaction between the chemistry of the water and the anode rod (zinc or magnesium or aluminum?) in the tank to prevent corrosion of the tank. Since the problem went away perhaps it was caused by some sort of coating on the rod or in the tank during manufacturing and that the coating eventually dissolves. My town's well water comes from 800 feet down and tests fine but it has a high sodium (salt) content. A small amount of chlorine is added as required by the state. Perhaps a chemical engineer or chemist out there can chime in on this.

icarus
08-06-2013, 03:27 AM
Put a few ounces if bleach in the water tank, let it circ through the system including the hot water tank, let it sit for a few hours and then thoroughly flush with fresh water. Assuming your source water is not sulphur then it is possible that you have iron bacteria, mostly harmless, but can be vry smelly. The bleach trick should do it.

Icarus

kylecm
05-07-2014, 08:54 PM
I should ahve done this follow-up a while ago. After several months we finally figured out the problem. It was the batteries were over heating thus the smell of rotten eggs. I must have gotten the Friday unit because the ground was improperally connects. This was causing a charging problem and basically burned up the two batteries. Since these were replaced and the grond correced. No more smell.

Thanks for all of the suggestions,

Chuck